Which training camp battle are you looking forward to most?

bigben07MVP

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Is everyone sure Cam Sutton is going to make the team? He is the typical Steelers player from 10 years ago. Jack of all trades and a master of none. He's not a good outside corner, and he's not a good slot corner. He's not good a the dimebacker role(not that he would need to play it this year). He's not a standout on ST. He's basically a slightly better, corner version, of Darnell Stapleton. He can play everywhere but he's not really good anywhere. I could see him and Artie really battling this camp. I mean, honestly Burns has shown more in his career than Sutton has. I'm really excited to see how the secondary shakes out. 

Just thought this might lead to some interesting discussion. 

I do agree with you. I’m not sure either make the roster but I would still put Burns ahead of Sutton. Burns had played well, but mental issues and a complete lack of confidence derailed what was a pretty good rookie year. 

I don’t know that burns ever recovers, I’m not sure he ever plays a game on Sundays again, but he is doing everything right, has more physical upside, and has shown more on the field than Sutton. If I had to pick right now - he is probably my 5th guy. 

Just a side note on Burns, but I hope he and DHB grabbed a beer last year and talked. What an absolutely great role model to have right there in front of you. Failed first round pick who decided he wanted to stick around the NFL so he became a pretty good special teamer. That’s burns ticket at this point. He is still only 24, but his second contract is as a STer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I do agree with you. I’m not sure either make the roster but I would still put Burns ahead of Sutton. Burns had played well, but mental issues and a complete lack of confidence derailed what was a pretty good rookie year. 

I don’t know that burns ever recovers, I’m not sure he ever plays a game on Sundays again, but he is doing everything right, has more physical upside, and has shown more on the field than Sutton. If I had to pick right now - he is probably my 5th guy. 

Just a side note on Burns, but I hope he and DHB grabbed a beer last year and talked. What an absolutely great role model to have right there in front of you. Failed first round pick who decided he wanted to stick around the NFL so he became a pretty good special teamer. That’s burns ticket at this point. He is still only 24, but his second contract is as a STer. 

I'm one of the most hopelessly optimistic people one here, but I'm not sold that Burns can't turn his defensive career around. I think a nice shakeup in coaching and some good competition could actually allow him to realize his potential. He may very well be done, but he does offer more to the team than Sutton does solely because of ST. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Is everyone sure Cam Sutton is going to make the team? He is the typical Steelers player from 10 years ago. Jack of all trades and a master of none. He's not a good outside corner, and he's not a good slot corner. He's not good a the dimebacker role(not that he would need to play it this year). He's not a standout on ST. He's basically a slightly better, corner version, of Darnell Stapleton. He can play everywhere but he's not really good anywhere. I could see him and Artie really battling this camp. I mean, honestly Burns has shown more in his career than Sutton has. I'm really excited to see how the secondary shakes out. 

Just thought this might lead to some interesting discussion. 

Not to be the "I told you" guy but....I told you (not you specifically). I know my Vols. I viewed Sutton as JAG. While pretty good in Tenn it was clear to me his skillset wouldn't translate well to the Pros. He's a Zone guy that can't tackle. Not a good recipe. Maybe this is the year he takes that step up but even if he does, his ceiling is low IMO. I think you could do worse then him as a #4 or #5 CB but that isn't what he was drafted for and that was not the expectations of many on here. I think most have given up on McCullers a.k.a Big for Nothing (some took longer) but we still have some Dobbs hopefuls. Just as with Sutton, maybe he takes a step up this year but I cannot fathom him ever being a Franchise QB. Heck, it's hard for me to see him as a dependable backup. 

7 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I'll add to that, Burns is also being played out of position. He is a close to the LOS Jammer. They play him 8 yards off and he struggles....Duh. They drafted Layne who is also a close to the LOS Jammer. Maybe they are looking to implement that more strategy and Burns could get back some of his mojo. As you, suggested he may never live up to the 1st Rd pick but a career could be salvaged. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

if burns can be a ST star, nothing wrong with that. 

14 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I'll add to that, Burns is also being played out of position. He is a close to the LOS Jammer. They play him 8 yards off and he struggles....Duh. They drafted Layne who is also a close to the LOS Jammer. Maybe they are looking to implement that more strategy and Burns could get back some of his mojo. As you, suggested he may never live up to the 1st Rd pick but a career could be salvaged. 

maybe email colbert and tell him to draft players that suite their scheme O.o I don't understand why they do this either

• 1 month later...

WE battles have been good to watch:

Hilton has speed and value as Gunner & Returner. Similar type of player to DHB.

Deiontae Spencer is fun to watch. Very explosive and looks to score on every touch. Want to see him run two deep routes in the next game to showcase his speed and ball tracking ability.

Deiontae Johnson is smooth and explosive. Good luck covering him with 3rd and 4th CBs.

Donte Moncrief needs to show more or I'll have to disown him as family. We're not closely related maybe 4th cousins (my sister told me) but his first game wasn't impressive.

James Washington has looked exceptional so far. Speed, hands, body control, toughness, and ability to make tough catches is visible on every play.

Eli Rogers looks poised to make the team. If Steelers run 5 WR sets, Rogers will have a locker with the Steelers.

Ryan Switzer has been invisible so far. Maybe team knows what he brings to the table but color me unimpressed. He better hope Big Ben begs team to keep him.

Tevin Jones has potential but I don't know if he's better as a Boundary or Slot WR. Does he also play ST?

What are y'alls thoughts?