Were Pops And The Spurs Holding Kawhi Back?

the lone star

Were Pops And The Spurs Holding Kawhi Back?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Were Pops And The Spurs Holding Kawhi Back?

• Yes, 100%
    • Yes, A Little Bit
    • Maybe, But Not Really
    • No, Absolutely Not
    • No, He's Being Held Back Now If Anything

If anything I think playing for the Spurs under Pop probably made him better off, who knows if he develops into the same player if he ended up on some terrible franchise 

Edited by amac
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, amac said:

If anything I think playing for the Spurs under Pop probably made him better off, who knows if he develops into the same player if he ended up on some terrible franchise 

That's why I'm kind of in the "Not Really" category. They developed him, but a lot of other guys they have developed over the years go to other teams and fall apart (see DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal, Tiago Splitter, etc.). The fact that he hasn't fallen apart tells me that, while they helped him develop, he also really is THAT good of a player. To a certain extent they wanted him to submit to team ball more than the hero ball he is currently playing, and I actually like that mantra. However, seeing what he has done all season long for the Raptors vs. what he did for the Spurs, I think yes, he was ultimately held back a little.

So on one end, they helped him develop, and jolt-started his career, but on the other end, he had to make sacrifices like Duncan, Manu, Tony, and others all did while they were with the organization.

• Like 1

No.  The spurs teams he played on most recently were far less talented top to bottom than this Raptors team.  He still put up crazy numbers for SA and was considered a top 5 player in the league then.  

And as great as he played.  If the Warriors even have just a fully healthy Klay all series, the Raptors probably don’t win and his hero ball isn’t as heroic.