Rudolph with a Very Shiny New Contract

SemperFeist

8 hours ago, Klomp said:

Apparently, Cian can't see the forest for the trees.  Waynes' money and likely Everson's money will come off the books after the year...and even if Weatherly is extended, it's not going to be for Everson or Danielle money.  They'll be fine.    

I'm glad that it's done.  We won't have to see another career-winding down contract now for at least a couple of years.

Edited by swede700

54 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Apparently, Cian can't see the forest for the trees.  Waynes' money and likely Everson's money will come off the books after the year...and even if Weatherly is extended, it's not going to be for Everson or Danielle money.  They'll be fine.    

I'm glad that it's done.  We won't have to see another career-winding down contract now for at least a couple of years.

Waynes doesn’t have anything on the books for next year. Unless they get an extension done with him, too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Waynes doesn’t have anything on the books for next year. Unless they get an extension done with him, too. 

That, along with how they deal with Mackensie is the other option, because both of them come off the books after the year.  It's possible that they let both test the market...with the likelihood that Waynes is gone and maybe Mackensie will come back.  

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

If there are not much guarantees, Rudolph may be a candidate for the pay cut or get cut offer after two years. Will be interesting to see the details.

We thought that this year and here we are. I understand the argument that rookie TEs take awhile to develop and contribute. I haven't looked at the details admittedly, unless there is savings in 2019, why do a deal? Rudoloh is a fairly mediocre TE who should see targeted reduced if Smith is any good.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I haven't looked at the details admittedly, unless there is savings in 2019, why do a deal? Rudoloh is a fairly mediocre TE who should see targeted reduced if Smith is any good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Hmmmm. I don't get this. I'd 100% rather have Waynes after this coming year. This puts him at jeopardy.. . Was Kyle actually good last year? 

Kyle's been okay.

I do agree that Waynes is a lot better at CB than Rudolph is at TE, but I don't know that the team was making a choice between the two of them. I believe the decision with Waynes will be more of a decisions of Waynes versus the other defensive backs. There is only so much the team can spend on defensive backs while sticking to their plan. 

I like saving that 4 million.  I'd still like to see The Vikings obtain Trent Williams, AND fit him under the cap without losing any player needed.  So, if Reiff and a 3rd and 7th Rounder will be acceptable to The Redskins, that added $4 million might be about enough to balance Williams' cap hit.  Then, if Waynes is retained in 2020, maybe Smith can take over at starting TE, and Kyle can be released then.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

What don't you like about it? Basically it's saving $4 mil this year in terms of cap space and then keeps him around one more year and then is easy enough to release.

Is this money even needed? Unless there is another trade in mind (Trent Williams?) it seems like we're okay to not need to do this deal. It's not a significant long term commitment, I just hope this team doesn't get in a bad habit of hanging onto these home grown players a season or two too long because of what they meant in the past. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Kyle's been okay.

I do agree that Waynes is a lot better at CB than Rudolph is at TE, but I don't know that the team was making a choice between the two of them. I believe the decision with Waynes will be more of a decisions of Waynes versus the other defensive backs. There is only so much the team can spend on defensive backs while sticking to their plan. 

I still think they let Waynes walk and get the comp pick. Another year of Hughes, Alexander and Hill might make the decision easier. Epps might be in the mix too. Also need Rhodes to rebound. 

Edited by vikingsrule

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I still think they let Waynes walk and get the comp pick. Another year of Hughes, Alexander and Hill might make the decision easier. Epps might be in the mix too. Also need Rhodes to rebound. 

Given their ages and trends, isn't it more likely Waynes is good going forward than Rhodes?

As above, what do they even need this money for this year? Do we expect a signing or trade? If they can  get the OT from Washington, of course you do that......but that seems unlikely to me.

• Like 1