Rudolph with a Very Shiny New Contract

SemperFeist

39 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Atlanta is a Julio Jones injury away from having a terrible receiving group
Oakland is an Antonio Brown injury away from having a terrible receiving group
Houston is a DeAndre Hopkins injury away from having a terrible receiving group
Cleveland is an OBJ or Jarvis Landry injury away from having a terrible receiving group
Cincinati is an AJ Green injury away from having a terrible receiving group

I could keep going, but I think you get the point. An injury to a top 10 player at any position significantly impacts the quality of that position group. You can't have all pros with quality depth at every position. Never mind having two all pro caliber players at a position.

I get that but how does the depth chart look on these teams? Where would our backup WRs fit in? Given the reliance on undrafted players and a first round bust, I can't imagine they stack up real well.

And no, I wouldn't expect an all pro caliber player. But I'd like someone who can fill in and be competent. Treadwell is the most experienced of the group but he's proven to be awful. While Zylstra has had success in another league, he's in his late 20s so I struggle with him being anything other than a somewhat cool story. 

Surely there is a better starting option out there that could have a decent role with the team as a third WR. It's not like anyone else deserves a roster spot behind Thielen and Diggs.

5 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Beebe was really good last year, both in preseason and the little work he got in the regular season. Not sure how much more he could have done with the opportunity. I wouldn't write him off at this stage. The Vikings could absolutely use a possession slot receiver, even if he's undersized -- a Jamison Crowder or Cole Beasley. If he stays healthy, he's going to have an NFL career.

I'm willing to concede on Beebe. But he's a slot guy and who knows if his small frame will hold up in the NFL. the concern for me is who can fill in on the outside, especially if Diggs or Thielen miss time.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I'm willing to concede on Beebe. But he's a slot guy and who knows if his small frame will hold up in the NFL. the concern for me is who can fill in on the outside, especially if Diggs or Thielen miss time.

Taylor started a couple of games for the Broncos in 2017, if that makes you feel any better. He's not bad, an upgrade from Zylstra.

I have high hopes for Dillon Mitchell. He runs good routes and was super productive in his last year in college. He's young too (a predictor of NFL success). I think he's probably Diggs' backup this year. 

Bisi Johnson's also very promising on his college tape, he could be an upgrade from Zylstra at WR6, if they keep 6. 

They drafted a couple of real WRs this year, not just athletic guys who don't know how to play the position (like Rodney Adams). 

• Like 1

More reason for optimism on Beebe making the team and contributing:

Good luck trying to cover Chad Beebe.

The Vikings wide receiver stood out in the early portion of practice when wide receivers were lined up against defensive backs in 1-on-1 situations near the goal line.

Beebe twice got the best of All-Pro safety Harrison Smith, using a quick cut to the inside in their first matchup to snag a touchdown. Beebe, who is listed at 5-foot-10 but is one of the most elusive players on the field, ended up with a score on each of his three reps.

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-from-minicamp-no-2-beebe-wrs-shine-in-red-zone-for-vikings

That sort of elusiveness is very difficult to deal with in man coverage, as he’d mostly see playing the slot on obvious passing downs.

Beebe’s name also came up first when Maalouf was asked about punt returners:

Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Marwan Maalouf, who joined the team this offseason, spoke with the media following Wednesday’s practice and said it’s important to see different players returning punts and kickoffs because he’s still “fitting the puzzle pieces” together.

“There’s a few guys [who] are injured who have had a history of [returning], so it’ll be exciting once those guys get back to speed and just kind of seeing how it all shakes out,” Maalouf said. “But the good thing is, there’s quite a few guys who are doing it.”

Maalouf was asked about receiver Chad Beebe, who has received significant work at punt returner. The coordinator said that Beebe tracks the ball well, “has the right mentality” for the role and looks natural in it.

“I think those are important factors, you know? Not all guys can catch punts,” Maalouf said.

https://www.vikings.com/news/notebook-maalouf-evaluating-vikings-returners-of-all-shapes-sizes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krauser said:

More reason for optimism on Beebe making the team and contributing:

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-observations-from-minicamp-no-2-beebe-wrs-shine-in-red-zone-for-vikings

That sort of elusiveness is very difficult to deal with in man coverage, as he’d mostly see playing the slot on obvious passing downs.

Beebe’s name also came up first when Maalouf was asked about punt returners:

https://www.vikings.com/news/notebook-maalouf-evaluating-vikings-returners-of-all-shapes-sizes

Great to hear, I have way more faith in Beebe as a prospect than Dillon Mitchell or Olabisi Johnson.  And if Jordan Taylor or more likely Brandon Zylstra could make the team as a larger WR they would be in good shape.  And I assume with signing Rudolph and with the cap issues they have that are so tight, this means Treadwell will be cut if possible but will see.

Great they signed Rudolph, he is an amazing leader and brings much needed character to the team overall, he is a class act.  Conklin is a big time project and Morgan is just a situational blocker so long term not sure either one will be what Rudolph is now.  Rudolph is an all around TE and Smith adds some HB or TE in motion ability to play more off the line and Rudolph can help on the line and block more.  Could be an interesting offense, hopefully they use Rudolph more than they did the first part of last year where he rarely go the ball and they rarely ran the football.

Little Kirky boy better get working on his bootleg ability and his ability to throw on the run.  They are set to have a good play action pass system if Kirk can pull it off, especially on bootleg roll out action, with the zone blocking scheme and more athletic offensive line, two TE set and hopefully more focus on running the damn ball.