Vikings extend TE Kyle Rudolph (Four years, $36M)

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes clearly value players they've drafted and developed. Outside of Cousins and Reiff, most of the significant contracts have gone to home grown talent.

22 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Well that changes everything about my world view...

I mean, he's a good player last year. Him leaving creates uncertainty at the DT position for the Vikes. Reason he wasn't kept was probably monetary.

I'm also of the opinion that cap room can be worked around but there definitely are casualties when money is tight.

3 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

The only thing that really matters is the guaranteed money.

Never get why people say this. If all the GTD money is in year 1 of a 5 year deal, it’s a great deal. If all the GTD money is in year 5 of a 5 year deal, it’s a deal that’ll be hard to get out of.

The cap hit will reflect the contract, not just the GTD dollars. If the GTD dollars are low but the salary is high - his cap hit will be high (pending structure). Total dollar amount matters about as much as GTD dollars and contract structures, they’re all important. If you expect Rudolph or any player on a deal to see the end of it, then GTD dollars are certainly not the only thing that matters.

Total amount will reflect the cap hits. GTD dollars in conjunction with the structure of the deal will determine how easy it is to get out of the contract. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean, he's a good player last year. Him leaving creates uncertainty at the DT position for the Vikes. Reason he wasn't kept was probably monetary.

I'm also of the opinion that cap room can be worked around but there definitely are casualties when money is tight.

He was good, no doubt. Certainly wasn't spectacular or a key piece going forward though. The Vikes brought back a familiar face in Shamar Stephen to help replace him.

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

As of December 11, 2018:

5-13 in Primetime games

4-24 vs winning teams (including 1-6 last year)

0-7 in MNF

Guess 16 games is all you'd really need Cousins for...

Don't care what he did in Washington. Vikings are a much better ran franchise.

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Don't care what he did in Washington. Vikings are a much better ran franchise.

1-6 last year with the Vikings against winning teams. Which is why you finished 8-7-1.

If you can't beat winning teams, you're going to have a bad time in the playoffs... IF you make it.

• Like 5

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

1-6 last year with the Vikings against winning teams. Which is why you finished 8-7-1.

If you can't beat winning teams, you're going to have a bad time in the playoffs... IF you make it.

Which is why we went out into the draft to improve the offensive line.

13 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Exhibit R for why everyone needs to shut up about cap space mattering. The Vikings are paying a top QB contract AND gave pretty much their entire roster a big long term deal.

Him signing lowers his cap number for this year likely.  They were likely going to have to cut him to keep everyone and sign their draft class and have a bit of money for emergency in season signings.

Next year is next year I guess.

But you are right if you structure things many players can be retained or signed if you want them retained or signed.

I think you won't see MN signing much in way of FAs in 2020 off season.  But with new CBA coming might be nothing but 1 year deals anyway.

Edited by dll2000