Vikings extend TE Kyle Rudolph (Four years, $36M)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It actually reminds me 100% of when the Eagles had Brent Celek then drafted Ertz. Certainly room for both of Rudolph and Smith 

There's definitely room for both. Just didn't seem that Cousins actually used Rudolph effectively. Rudolph has always been a good redzone threat but was nonexistent with Cousins as his QB. Smith fits the mold of Jordan Reed, who was really good with Cousins. I question the fit more than anything, kind of pricey for a redzone threat who wasn't used much in that capacity.

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

There's definitely room for both. Just didn't seem that Cousins actually used Rudolph effectively. Rudolph has always been a good redzone threat but was nonexistent with Cousins as his QB. Smith fits the mold of Jordan Reed, who was really good with Cousins. I question the fit more than anything, kind of pricey for a redzone threat who wasn't used much in that capacity.

Isn’t Rudolph a really good blocker? The Eagles used Celek as a primary low ceiling starter until Ertz was clearly just better. Then Celek became a glorified lineman who could make a couple key catches a year. I think Celek made similar money at that stage than Rudolph just got paid 

Ben Goessling✔@GoesslingStrib

Kyle Rudolph’s four-year, $36 million deal, which now runs through 2023, will pay him $9M this year. His 2019 salary is fully guaranteed, and his 2020 salary is guaranteed for injury, per source. If Rudolph plays out the deal, he should remain one of the league’s top-paid TEs.

Kyle Rudolph gets a $7.25M signing bonus as part of his new deal, as well as a $1.75M million base salary. His weekly roster bonuses, which can total up to $250K, stay intact from his old deal. Total 2019 cash is $9.25M; cap hit is $3.45M, for cap savings of $4.175M.

59 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Yeah I would agree with this.  Rudolph had his best season with Sam Bradford, and even Keenum looked for him more frequently than Cousins does.  I’m not seeing this extension lasting very long and I’m surprised we even did it in the first place

51 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Isn’t Rudolph a really good blocker? The Eagles used Celek as a primary low ceiling starter until Ertz was clearly just better. Then Celek became a glorified lineman who could make a couple key catches a year. I think Celek made similar money at that stage than Rudolph just got paid 

No, he's quite poor at blocking.

1 minute ago, footbull3196 said:

Yeah I would agree with this.  Rudolph had his best season with Sam Bradford, and even Keenum looked for him more frequently than Cousins does.  I’m not seeing this extension lasting very long and I’m surprised we even did it in the first place

I'm not terribly surprised given the cap saving this year, that seems to be what MN was ultimately after. I can't see Rudolph playing through half this contract though. 

I just wonder what MN plans on doing with the extra cap space.

On Tuesday, we posted some of the details regarding tight end Kyle Rudolph‘s new four-year extension with the Vikings. One detail that wasn’t available at the time relates to the cap savings generated by the new deal.

According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, that cap savings will be $4.175 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/12/kyle-rudolph-extension-creates-4-175-million-in-cap-space-for-vikings/

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

Banter aside. Rudolph is being overpaid IMO, guess it's just a product of being recently paid, but that said, I probably would have let him walk given the current nature of things.

I think it was just a salary play to gain cap space this year.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:01 PM, vike daddy said:

Kyle Rudolph’s four-year, $36 million deal, which now runs through 2023, will pay him $9M this year. His 2019 salary is fully guaranteed, and his 2020 salary is guaranteed for injury, per source. If Rudolph plays out the deal, he should remain one of the league’s top-paid TEs.

Kyle Rudolph gets a $7.25M signing bonus as part of his new deal, as well as a $1.75M million base salary. His weekly roster bonuses, which can total up to $250K, stay intact from his old deal. Total 2019 cash is $9.25M; cap hit is $3.45M, for cap savings of $4.175M.

Very good deal for the vikings 2 years 8 mill each year. He got 16 mill in guarantees this year and next and will only cost them 3 mil to move on after two years when he is 31/32YO. He was already scheduled to make almost 8 mill already this year.  I don't see anything in it for him but staying in Minn for two more years which was a wish. 

• Like 1