Best 2019 Offense and Defense

dll2000

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Who has best defense in 2019 going into the season on paper?

Make your case. Bears

Who has best offense in 2019 going into the season on paper?

Make your case. Chiefs

Just with SB contenders, I usually go with the results of last year. If Hill is out that changes things but I don't see a clearcut number 1 after that.

Those teams won't have the best defense and offense in 2019 but they look like the best on paper to me.

Defense = Chicago Bears

Mack is best OLB in league.  Arguably best ILB duo in league for 2019 with R. Smith and Trevathan.  

Starting DL is Hicks, Goldman and Nichols.   All 3 are amongst best in league.

Jackson was best safety in league in 2018.  

Corners are adequate to good in Fuller and Prince A.

HHCD is a playmaking safety with greater range than player he is replacing.

Floyd is not good at rushing passer, but got much better toward end of season and is excellent against run and in coverage.   

Weakest position is NCB which is currently filled by a long time veteran from NYJ in Skrine, but more talented young players could beat him out and likely will within season.

Offense = Rams

I would say KC, but Hill is second biggest reason that offense is unstoppable and he may be suspended for much of season.  

Rams have Cupp coming back and that is huge for that team.  They could not be defended early in season when he was healthy.  He finds the open areas for Goff.

Rams and Goff did get exposed when Gurley faded due to injury or whatever.  Without play action their offense doesn't work and Goff isn't good enough to overcome it.  However they drafted a very explosive rookie in Darrell Henderson who should be able to play well if Gurley isn't Gurley anymore and get them back on track.

• Like 1

Offense

Eagles. The more I do more research for the 2019 season, the more high I get on the Eagles.

-Wentz is healthy

-Good offensive line

-Deep group of pass-catchers 

-Creative offensive play-caller.

On paper, they are better then the 2017 Eagles, who averaged 30 ppg for the season

Defense

Bears. I don't expect them to be the best though (loss of Fangio and turnover regression), but there is no clearcut number one. So I picked them by default. 

• Like 1

Offense: Saints. 

The Chiefs come close, with the splash plays that Mahomes can make.  Even without Tyreek Hill, they're going to have some weapons, but I want to see what they do with huge hits to their OL, Morse was one of the more underrated C's in the league, and at least one of their OG spots is not set up for a whole lot of success.  I think Eagles have a big question at the most important spot on their team, at QB. Wentz wasn't consistent enough last year.  I think the Saints are too dynamic with all of the pieces they kept and who they added to be beat here to me.

Defense: Chargers

This one is my homer pick, but I think it's reasonable. The chargers had a great defense last year, and they return basically everyone that mattered, and then add a ton of value players.  Thomas Davis is going to be a key to have a playcaller at MLB/WLB, since Perryman was a good lockerroom guy, but he's not the best in terms of x's and o's and lining people up.  They have actual depth at the position with Tranqill/Ebule/White/Brown that either were lost last year or depended on as starter last year. We added a potential playmaker, length and strength type 3T in place of a very average Philon, and create a VERY dynamic, attacking DL. The back end might be the best in the entire league.  Hayward is still a top 5-10 CB, despite not being top 2 like 2 years ago.  Derwin was among the best S's in the league as a rookie, and can very well improve upon that. There is no longer a liability in the back end at FS, and Trevor Williams is back again.  All that without mentioning Des King, who's probably the best pure nickel CB in the league.

Hmm this is tough

Offense I’ll go with Chiefs but with the growth of Miller and Trubisky along with the addition of Montgomery I think the Bears have a real shot here. 

Defense I’ll say Chargers with the Bears and Rams right behind them. 

44 minutes ago, Siv said:

Hmm this is tough

Offense I’ll go with Chiefs but with the growth of Miller and Trubisky along with the addition of Montgomery I think the Bears have a real shot here. 

I definitely don’t think the Bears will have the top offense

They’d be like #1 on both sides of the ball and I don’t see that happening with the 2019 Bears

If they do, 18-1 is a possibility 

1 hour ago, Siv said:

Hmm this is tough

I'll be surprised if the Bears are top 10. TBH

1 hour ago, Siv said:

Hmm this is tough

I laughed, hard.

Teams like the Saints, Chiefs, Rams and Eagles are better than the Bears at almost all units of the offense.

Trubisky alone  guarantees it won't be a top 5 offense.

Top 10 would be a huge surprise too. 

They could definitly be a below average offense.

1 minute ago, Buckweath said:

Safest bets are Chiefs on offense and Bears on defense.

That would be my assumption as well.

The Browns have the talent to compete for the best offense but even if they realize it the Chiefs were still historically good last year and if they repeat that effort it will be tough for anyone to surpass them. Rams were up there last year too.

8 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Historically, it is actually not. 

Ok then, who would it be based on history?

I think we all know it is unlikely the teams who had respectively the top offense and top defense repeat but that doesnt mean they are not the safest picks and in this case I do feel the Chiefs and Bears are the safest bets.

2 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

Ok then, who would it be based on history?

I think we all know it is unlikely the teams who had respectively the top offense and top defense repeat but that doesnt mean they are not the safest picks and in this case I do feel the Chiefs and Bears are the safest bets.

On offense, best bet would be NO or NE since they have generally finished top 5-7 over the last decade. Defense is different though, that side of the ball is much more volatile.  

• Like 1