Best 2019 Offense and Defense

dll2000

53 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Serious question, do people really think the Bears defense is going to be the same as last season with the loss of Fangio and secondary players like Callahan and Amos (replacing with Haha). 

An entire year under thier belt with both Mack and Roquan "together" can't hurt? It's also not like Pagano sucks or has a bad track record as a DC or Defensive Mind either?

While different yes,  Pagano won't be that drastic of a liability IMO.

34 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

An entire year under thier belt with both Mack and Roquan "together" can't hurt? It's also not like Pagano sucks or has a bad track record as a DC or Defensive Mind either?

While different yes,  Pagano won't be that drastic of a liability IMO.

Right but I dont think it can be understated coordinators schemes impact how high or low a defense can go. Pagano is a good DC, but Fangio was over there having his entire secondary playing so far above their heads every single week. Im not sure Pagano can replicate that. .

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Serious question, do people really think the Bears defense is going to be the same as last season with the loss of Fangio and secondary players like Callahan and Amos (replacing with Haha). 

I don't. 

I picked them by default, but they are going to regress. They were historically good last year and their turnover rate is just not sustainable. It doesn't mean they will be bad, but it might like the Jags, who were extremely good in 2017 and then regressed in 2018 (still a top ten unit). 

Purely on paper? 

The Browns are probably a tackle away from being in that discussion. The Chiefs are up there too, but a step behind the Saints/Eagles/Rams IMO. Gurley, Kamara, and the Eagles’ stable is the primary factor there. 

On defense, it’s hard not to pick the Bears. Having Mack/Hicks up front is huge, alongside a big handful of very solid/ascending pieces. In the back end, you have one of the best safeties in Jackson, and a reliable guy in Fuller. Hard to find a team that A) has the playmakers at every level, and B) has solid pieces at virtually every position across the board, at least. 

On talent alone, I almost want to pick the Chargers. They’re flashy and deep, but they’re missing an impact linebacker and they’re largely relying on a rookie in order to have an interior presence. The extremely talented secondary and great guys on the edge aren’t enough to make up for the difference in the interior/at LBer in comparison to the Bears, for me.

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Purely on paper? 

The Browns are probably a tackle away from being in that discussion. The Chiefs are up there too, but a step behind the Saints/Eagles/Rams IMO. Gurley, Kamara, and the Eagles’ stable is the primary factor there. 

On defense, it’s hard not to pick the Bears. Having Mack/Hicks up front is huge, alongside a big handful of very solid/ascending pieces. In the back end, you have one of the best safeties in Jackson, and a reliable guy in Fuller. Hard to find a team that A) has the playmakers at every level, and B) has solid pieces at virtually every position across the board, at least. 

On talent alone, I almost want to pick the Chargers. They’re flashy and deep, but they’re missing an impact linebacker and they’re largely relying on a rookie in order to have an interior presence. The extremely talented secondary and great guys on the edge aren’t enough to make up for the difference in the interior/at LBer in comparison to the Bears, for me.

What? 

The Chiefs offense last year was rather comfortably better than the Rams and Saints and pretty much worlds better than any other offense in the league.

I won't even say they are a surefire pick to be again the top offense in the league but the bare minimum is that they project to be right up there with the Saints/Eagles/Rams as best offense in the league.

Arguably best QB in the league, one of the very best offensive minds in the league, best TE in the league, arguably best overall receivings corps in the league when Hill returns, good offensive line. Yeah, there is a reason that offense was the #3 offense in the history of the game in PPG just last season.

10 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

What's with the Colts offense hype? Serious question.

The Colts offense will definitly be a top 10 unit and  possibly top 5.

They have a great QB, a great Oline and are pretty good at the receiving positions.

I'm just thinking how they got basically completely shutdown by the Chiefs in the playoffs. 

All in all, I think they can be a good to very good offense but very unlikely the top offense in the league.

The loss of Fangio will hurt the Bears so Im not going to say they will be the best defense. I think the Jaguars will be the best defense. They have the talent AND they added heck of a player in Allen who fell right to them in the draft. If not the Jaguars I like the Vikings. They started off slowly last year on defense but got better as the season went along. I think we will see the defense they had in 2017 where they played lights out. 

As for offense, Im sticking with the Rams. Goff has gotten better every season and I expect him to continue to get better. The Rams now dont just have Gurley, but Brown back and added an explosive back in the draft in Henderson. He fits the zone blocking scheme perfect because one cut behind the Rams strong run blocking and he is gone. I expect to see alot of big plays from him. Not to mention Kupp is coming back to add to Cooks, Woods, and I expect Everett to continue to improve in the offense. McVay is going to go away from using 11 personnel nearly all the time so I think the Rams will be even more harder to stop on offense. However, if I had to choose another team outside of the Rams, Im not sleeping on the Falcons. Koetter is back at OC which is a good thing. The Falcons beefed up their oline to help protect Ryan, Freeman is back healthy, and dont forget about the trio of receivers they have in Julio, Sanu, and Ridley. 

Edited by stl4life07

57 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

What? 

The Chiefs offense last year was rather comfortably better than the Rams and Saints and pretty much worlds better than any other offense in the league.

I won't even say they are a surefire pick to be again the top offense in the league but the bare minimum is that they project to be right up there with the Saints/Eagles/Rams as best offense in the league.

Arguably best QB in the league, one of the very best offensive minds in the league, best TE in the league, arguably best overall receivings corps in the league when Hill returns, good offensive line. Yeah, there is a reason that offense was the #3 offense in the history of the game in PPG just last season.

Last year’s ranking doesn’t weigh heavily in an “on paper” debate. 

Mahomes is a monster and matches up or beats the Brees/Goff/Wentz trio, and Kelce’s the best TE of the whole group. But there’s a major talent discrepancy in the backfield, one that outweighs the TE discrepancy (especially with Hill’s status up in the air). Damien Williams simply isn’t close to Kamara or Gurley. Perhaps you’d argue the KC group is a bit closer to a Howard/Clement/Sanders group, but the Eagles have a superior offensive line and are deeper at every other position.

When looking at the team on paper - the Chiefs have a deficiency in the backfield. It hurts them in these discussions. Does that mean they won’t perform as well or put up similar/better statistics? Obviously not. But on paper, they’re missing big pieces that other teams have.

12 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Purely on paper? 

Chargers LBs have potential to be a top 10 LB corp. If Thomas Davis still has it, Perryman can finally play a full 16 gane season. If Kyzir White can continue his early play last year before being out for the season with injury. He only played 3 games... but was on an early pace to be with Darius and LVE. Nwosu also showed some great strides and was deterimental in a couple of wins to as a rookie.

I think people sleep on CHARGERS LB corp, because all of them were basically hurt last year mid point or so mark.  I think that unit will be as good as the secondary and dline. Plus they drafted Tranquill and Egbule. Tranquill has an immediate shot at being an impact player. Egbule at best good depth.

As for DT, yeah alot of it depends on if Tillery is as good as some say he is or not. If he is avg, DT will be a big hole. If he is great, that DLINE will have to be as good as any. As it stands, proven DTs on the Chargers leave alot to be desired as starters.... but would be good depth and rotational players. Their 7th round DT can also be a big contributor in Cortez. But banking on 7th rounders is a crap shoot. 

I think Chargers did well on paper in the draft, FA and just by proxy of getting healthy to address the 2 defensive "weaknesses" LB and DT. Im not sure how much of a weakness LB really was, beside everyone being injured. Barring injuries, Chargers should have a top 2 or top 3 defense by season end of 2019.

Their offense depends on their oline and again injuries (like with any team) but they have the pieces to be top 2 or 3. 

Anyways my picks.... outside my team are.

Top Offense - Texans will lead the league in PPG and be top 3 in YPG. Browns will be 1 in YPG. 

Top defense - 49ers will lead in PPG, sacks and total turnovers...  Steelers will have #1 defense in YPG.