Top 100 Player Countdown for 2019

DoleINGout

DJ Swearinger has been such a polarizing safety since entering the league. His reputation is that he can't control himself enough to find consistency. Swearinger is fully capable of being where he is at in my rankings based on his intelligence first and foremost. Swearinger is a vocal presence in the secondary who generates a number of game changing plays. Excellent quickness/burst/reaction time, huge enforcing hitter, high points the balls and fools many of the smartest quarterbacks in the league. Just last season Swearinger was rated a mid-season All Pro by PFF. Notably intercepted Andrew Luck twice. I think part of the reason the All Pro pace wasn't maintained through the end of the year is because following the severe injury to Alex Smith, the Redskins season tanked in the last six games. The entire team was negatively affected by the circumstances surrounding their quarterback situation resulting in a regression from everybody in different ways.

Jamal Adams is a fantastic safety in his own right and absolutely a higher investment to the Jets than Swearinger is to the Cardinals. Both players are leaders, but Swearinger is more of a free safety ballhawk whereas Adams is more of a strong safety that plays closer to the line of scrimmage. If I want a one of them to defend the slot or deep zone of the field then I will go with Swearinger right now heading into 2019 which I think is more valuable in today's game. Otherwise, slot corners like Kenny Moore, Bradley Roby, and Bryce Callahan wouldn't be getting the contracts they have, to name a few.

Lastly, Swearinger is still in his prime at 27 years old. Gone are the days of cheap shots to Dustin Keller and Wes Welker for Swearinger. Although his outspoken nature landed him back with the Cardinals through waiver last December, I think there is something to be said for the attitude, nastiness, and tone that sets for a team in need of an identity like the rebuilt Cardinals. Jamal Adams at 23 is just entering his prime now, likely showing progress all over in coverage and efficiency. A lot of people already project Adams career out when ranking him, but based on the statistics, intelligence, and impact of a playmaker in coverage, I went with Swearinger for the start of 2019.

6 hours ago, SBLIII said:

He is a top 3-4 DT so he should be top 40 roughly

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I could see Eddie Goldman at 71, not Hicks. Hicks should 100% be top 50 and probably top 30.

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Akiem Hicks continues to be disrespected

The tackles for loss (12), QB hits (16), and sacks (7.5) paired with 55 combined tackles and a high pressure rate place Hicks high. Considering the rest of the players still to be listed, for my rankings it would have taken Hicks converting more of his pressures into tackles to land in the top 40 or higher.

I'll say this, which seems a bit obvious here but Hicks is getting there, (no pun intended). Hicks is almost there, (again not trying to be funny. . .), but I think he is still on the cusp of being a truly elite ranked player overall given the amount of others that have produced. That said, there is enough of an argument to be made to place Hicks higher if you believe he will outproduce what he did under defensive guru Vic Fangio.