The Mass Exodus (cuts to 53)

CaliforniaKid7

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Jelani Jenkins being cut was easily one of Reggie's worst moves in his tenure. He's 25 years old, only being paid 1 million this year (practically vet minimum?), and looked decent at worst in the preseason. Unless he suffered a serious injury, we pull a big LB trade, I can't see any justification at all for a move like this.

If I had to grade it, I'd give in an easy F. 

Oh jeez. Really? We're you this upset when we moved on from the great Sio Moore too? 

Its an interesting move no doubt but let's not overreact here. He was signed to a cheap 1yr deal for a reason. 

1 minute ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Oh jeez. Really? We're you this upset when we moved on from the great Sio Moore too? 

Its an interesting move no doubt but let's not overreact here. He was signed to a cheap 1yr deal for a reason. 

Cmon man, we don't even have depth and you waive a young LB who's on a cheap contract who's played well and has years of starting experience. 

How do you look at the move? Interesting? Really?

It's not like this staff has shown anything to suggest they know what competent linebacker play looks like either.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Cmon man, we don't even have depth and you waive a young LB who's on a cheap contract who's played well and has years of starting experience. 

How do you look at the move? Interesting? Really?

It's not like this staff has shown anything to suggest they know what competent linebacker play looks like either.

While you're right about the shortcomings of the staff regarding LB play, I think Jenkins isn't the issue.

He's no savior. And apparently was hurt against Dallas, which may or may not be BS spin from the front office designed to substantiate an ugly looking release due for big time scrutiny.

There is a real issue, and it is that the guy was our only defensive signing. We made no real changes on D other than through the draft, which is a failure to recognize the immediate problem in any way shape or form. Jenkins was the only move made, and now it proved to be no move at all. That's the problem here. 

I'm also none too pleased about Latroy Lewis. He's probably no savior either. But we lack and have lacked a speed rusher who can get the edge, for years. He was the first glimpse we have had at that in some time. What REALLY displeases me is that everyone can see Calhoun is a poor player who is very much likely to never be a useful player. He is nothing short of a wreck in every game he plays. I'm not exxagerating when I call him a wreck on the field. He's shown no pass rush, is wildly blown out of his run fit constantly, and his physicality even with an added 20 pounds, is non existent. My personal belief is that there is a 0% chance he becomes a solid NFL player. I fear, and believe, the staff keeps (or kept) him because dumping a 3rd rounder this quickly means admitting the mistake. Which means we'll have to choke down another year of Calhoun and his poor play costing us points until they are ready to admit the mistake and cut him next year. Which is 95% assured what will happen. Just like with guys like Heeney (and a pretty large number of others), who showed little reason at any point to keep them around the way they were. 

This staff does this, repetitively. They preach competition, preach overlooking draft status. And a blind man could see Latroy Lewis could not have done more to win the job over Calhoun. Yet he didn't. He legitimately earned the spot, handily and clearly to anyone watching.

Which means the staff is not stating the truth when they preach what they preach. It is one of the numerous reasons why the defense isn't better. The same ideas could be applied to Norton. He's proven nothing and accomplished nothing - no sign at all that he can lead or teach a productive NFL defense, and even though it's only 2 years, it's been a very bad 2 years to be almost certainly followed by another bad year before they are called on it and have to dump him because he's not the man for the job in any way shape or form.

Every now and then this staff is numb to making the right moves and I cannot understand why. They become enamored with ideas, certain guys, schemes, coaches, etc and become immobile even in the face of total failure and nothing but signs of failure with little to no progress. Then they stand up in press conferences and talk about progress where not only is none showing up on the field, but it's utterly clear to everyone as well. It's actually startling how much this team's overall identity is becoming similar to Green Bay - in that without the exceptional quarterback the team is all of a sudden a pretty bad team. 

It looks to be a mostly defensive phenomenon for us. 

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Well done @holyghost . I agree with pretty much all of the above.

To add, and add more evidence, I feel the same currently about Silbermann.

They rave about him, twitter writers rave about him. Yes, I understand he moved to center out of the blue and played there relatively error free from a technical standpoint in relation to a coaches idea of learning a position.

And yet in preseason when I watch the games, the guy was beaten for sacks or committed penalties in every game, all 4 of them. Out of every single lineman, and I mean every single one of them, he made the most plays that ruined entire plays. Nkemdiche ate him alive. For 4 weeks I watched thinking he was so out of his depth that he could have been cut immediately. So while it is noble that he moved to C out of the blue, the in-game reality of it is that he so far cannot perform at the position. Averaging a penalty, sack, or terribly missed block (or two) every single game, for a lineman, is an absolutely terrible rate of success. Perhaps they are focused on what they see as an ability to learn and be flexible, and are blinding themselves to how the execution of it is going. Every time they take a guy and put him in another position it has worked really poorly. Heeney, Bergstrom, Calhoun (who is a tweener and not working out at end or backer), and the list goes on. And it does go on. The same story for Alexander last year. He is somehow at or near the top for the list at right tackle, and yet last year was a steady diet of solid play interspersed with occasional completely blown blocks and a HUGE pile of holding penalties. Too large for any prospect in any year, rookie or not. These aspects are then overlooked and he remains a favorite... ?

They tried the same with Sean Smith at LB and it also was a wreck. They're putting players out of place and lauding the players' capacity to be out of place without looking at the subsequent results and the fit nearly closely enough.

In contrast a guy like Belichick finds guys who fit clear roles and puts them to work. And he admit errors by jettisoning failed pieces of the puzzle constantly and without delay. This year's most recent example is Ealy, though there are a pile of examples yearly. THAT works, this doesn't. It never works to amass talent and then figure out how it all fits later. And you can't teach up how to fit. This staff wants to force fits then teach them up, but has proven NO ability to do so. Nor has any team in the history of football to be honest. 

Al Davis' plan in the last 20 years of his work is undeniable overwhelming proof of this. The only late success Davis did find was with Gruden, whose team was absolutely built on the execution of clear and defined roles. Ironically the polar opposite philosophy of Davis' late reign. Think about that offense, every guy had a very specific role in which they hummed along, and were rarely forced to execute outside of. Wheatley, Garner, Gannon, Crockett, the Oline, Brown, Rice, etc. To each one, a very specific set of responsibilities which lie directly within their wheelhouse of what they do exceptionally. On defense, we are still a Davis defense and the opposite of a role / fit defense and to a lesser degree the opposite of our current offense. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Jelani Jenkins being cut was easily one of Reggie's worst moves in his tenure. He's 25 years old, only being paid 1 million this year (practically vet minimum?), and looked decent at worst in the preseason. Unless he suffered a serious injury, we pull a big LB trade, I can't see any justification at all for a move like this.

If I had to grade it, I'd give in an easy F. 

Skip Bayless is that you. Smh

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

Nobody said he is the answer, but he earned a spot over Calhoun.

Not according to the people that actually have the data, the relationships, the in person contact and the evaluation experience.

He'll end up on the Practice Squad where he can develop and jump in in case of injury.

5 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Nobody said he is the answer, but he earned a spot over Calhoun.

I cannot say definitively that he earned a spot over Calhoun. But I CAN say that Calhoun has not. That was my far greater point in the above post. Lewis is still an unknown quantity, but Calhoun, I just KNOW, is poor. Against the same 2nd and 3rd teamers as anyone else Calhoun was still heavily outclassed just as he is against 1st teamers and in the regular season. I do not understand what more needs to be seen? Earned nothing, it can't be anything other than a draft status story. 

6 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Not according to the people that actually have the data, the relationships, the in person contact and the evaluation experience.

He'll end up on the Practice Squad where he can develop and jump in in case of injury.

That's great, that's why our defense sucks the talent evaluation has been stellar on that side of the ball.

17 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

That's great, that's why our defense sucks the talent evaluation has been stellar on that side of the ball.

I'll take their eval over yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially because they are working with 100% of the pertinent info and you're working with about 25%.

20 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I'll take their eval over yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially because they are working with 100% of the pertinent info and you're working with about 25%.

Good for you! Yet I've made better calls then they have. Exactly why Korey Toomer left the team.

Archived