The Mass Exodus (cuts to 53)

CaliforniaKid7

24 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I'll take their eval over yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday, especially because they are working with 100% of the pertinent info and you're working with about 25%.

This is such a cop out to an argument. What is the point of discussion if we just gonna say coaches and gms know more than you do. We all know, they know more than us. But they can be wrong and have been plenty of times. Thats what we discussing. If you think calhoun has done enough to earn his spot. Than state why other than his is a 3rd rd pick and staff knows better than you. I agree with just about everybody he hasnt done anything to earn his spot on field. 

Alright guys, I know we're all pretty surprised and passionate but lets rein it in a bit.  We're all members of the same Nation.  The only Nation. I love the fire in this thread though tbh.

Honestly am pretty surprised by some of these moves.  I'll touch on a few:

Jelani Jenkins: 
Maybe he wasn't totally healthy?  Maybe we're looking into bringing Riley back (I know its cliché but I'm grasping at straws here).  He looked to be one of the better LBs we had and is more experienced than any other LB we have on the roster.  WIth the dearth of talent, depth, and experience, this cut is puzzling.  There's gotta be something we don't know, but I hope whatever it is, its valid.  I like Morrow, but he's more of a project when we need immediate impact at this spot.

Breon Borders:
I'm not sure what the deal is here.  I know he hasn't totally translated that hype from early preseason into all the games.  But we're pretty weak at CB. To be elevated to 1st team nickel corner as a rookie UDFA means either: you played really well OR the team's depth there is awful.  The latter is pretty obvious, but it sounded like the former may have been also true early on.  Regardless of which reason, we're weak as hell at CB.  I'm aware of the Carrie effect and trying to stay grounded even with the hype.  We do have a lot of CBs, but Amerson is going through concussion protocol.  Conley might be healthy, but he has had virtually no offseason.  Carrie and Smith are still running out to CVS to pick up more Aloe Vera after this preseason.  McDonald deserved to make the squad as a reserve.  Hamilton is STs.  And Borders would be a great PS guy if we were set at CB.  But we're not.  If anything, its the one spot we're ok with holding an extra guy in my opinion.

KJ Brent/Jaydon Mickens/Keon Hatcher:
Wut?  All camp it was Mickens vs Brent for the last WR spot.  If Mickens is getting the King treatment, that seems to imply Brent should stay, no?  Maybe this was just manufactured by the media but Carr did praise both guys.  With Coop's penchant for getting nicked up, holding onto a 6th WR (any of these 3 can help on STs too) would make sense to me.  Also did that dog beater Zamora get cut yet?

LaTroy Lewis:
All he did was make plays.  I would understand if the guys ahead of him were head and shoulders better, but they aren't.  I'll leave it at that since @holyghost covered that thought I'm sure many of us have in the back of our minds

*These guys appear safe as of when I wrote this

John Crockett, Elijah Hood:
Why do we need more than 3 tailbacks?  I guess I like having another non-smurf HB so Olawale can block for him in power sets.  Have to think at least one guy gets cut.  

Jylan Ware:
I like his upside for sure.  But he's raw as a mugg. Not to mention we have Penn, Newhouse, Sharpe, and Alexander ahead of him.  I know Carr Insurance is imperative but this is a guy who is perfect for the PS

Nicholas Morrow/Tyrell Adams:
What makes these guys better for us than Jenkins?  Maybe the staff feel he's only marginally better and not worth the money.  I think Morrow is another perfect PS guy.  Adams is depth material.

In closing, to me it looks like we're planning on adding a vet LB and vet CB.  We allegedly had strong interest in Joe Haden, and he's not even close to the Haden he was.  In my mind, this is how waiving Borders and Jenkins makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Isn't Lewis more of a weak side OLB/DE. Therefore isn't it Cowser that's beat him out? Calhoun is a strong side OLB/DE.

Disclaimer: I may be ignorant on this one because I can't remember.

Doesn't Cowser play more of the Bruce Irvin role?  SLB?  Lewis would be back up LEO.  We moved Calhoun to more of a hand in the dirt role, so I thought (again I could be wrong) this meant more of a weak side kind of capacity.  So as to prevent him from standing up as much as possible

7 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Isn't Lewis more of a weak side OLB/DE. Therefore isn't it Cowser that's beat him out? Calhoun is a strong side OLB/DE.

Yes

Calhoun was and is competing with guys like IK, Sheldon and Johnson. But this can be switched at times because guys move around but if you had to put guys somewhere that is right.

10 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Disclaimer: I may be ignorant on this one because I can't remember.

Doesn't Cowser play more of the Bruce Irvin role?  SLB?  Lewis would be back up LEO.  We moved Calhoun to more of a hand in the dirt role, so I thought (again I could be wrong) this meant more of a weak side kind of capacity.  So as to prevent him from standing up as much as possible

In the second and third Preseason games they were playing both sides. I remember because I was yelling at the screen for Cowser to keep contain on a few plays from Mack's side. Then I started noticing that they were opposite of where they played last year.But last year you may be right on the positions in most instances.

Archived