The Mass Exodus (cuts to 53)

CaliforniaKid7

17 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yes

Calhoun was and is competing with guys like IK, Sheldon and Johnson. But this can be switched at times because guys move around but if you had to put guys somewhere that is right.

Calhoun cut anyways.

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

This is such a cop out to an argument. What is the point of discussion if we just gonna say coaches and gms know more than you do. We all know, they know more than us. But they can be wrong and have been plenty of times. Thats what we discussing. If you think calhoun has done enough to earn his spot. Than state why other than his is a 3rd rd pick and staff knows better than you. I agree with just about everybody he hasnt done anything to earn his spot on field. 

I have done that. I talked about his work in the offseason doing the things the coaches asked of him to improve. I talked about the fact that he had the most pressures of any front 7 player in the preseason and the fact that he had a great camp. I also talked about his flaws in not being able to hold the edge effectively at time last year and that was one of the things the coaches had him working on.

I also talked about Lewis's play. How he was making those plays vs the equivalent of UDFA and PS Tackles. And about the fact that he shows burst but it would be a different story vs first string olinemen like Calhoun and Cowser play against. I think Lewis is a PS guy that will develop. Frankly, I'm just surprised that so many of you are getting caught up in this when you should know that the preseason is gonna have a few guys like this but that you should temper you judgement of them because of the situation. Seems to happen every year and we still don't learn. 

16 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

In the second and third Preseason games they were playing both sides. I remember because I was yelling at the screen for Cowser to keep contain on a few plays from Mack's side. Then I started noticing that they were opposite of where they played last year.But last year you may be right on the positions in most instances.

Ahh.  Thanks for clearing that up, my dude.

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

So your point was moot in effect as Calhoun didn't beat out Lewis.

It doesn't necessarily make the point moot, though I wouldn't mind that anyway. I am glad they have learned and want the right steps to be taken so the team can succeed. Me winning theses and arguments is insignificant to that. The things I laid out have happened in the past, cutting someone like Calhoun means they're getting it and it's now happening less. 

And it's sad that a 3rd rounder from last year was cut. That is looking more and more like a pretty bad draft for a team that needed it to be a good one. Oh well, at least moving on quickly is good. 

With Calhoun and Lewis cut I can only imagine some of our more flexible DT guys will be playing edge at times - Ward, Autry, and Edwards. And the overstock at DT (if you include the previous three guys) in Vanderdoes, Ellis, Hester, possibly Latham bears that possibility out as well. We still have bodies for DT while those 3 guys possibly get DE snaps. 

That's fine I guess. They won't be speed rushers, and we have none, and we still have major rush worries from the backup edge, but at least they won't be pushed around easily outside like Calhoun was.

3 hours ago, holyghost said:

This staff does this, repetitively. They preach competition, preach overlooking draft status. And a blind man could see Latroy Lewis could not have done more to win the job over Calhoun. Yet he didn't. He legitimately earned the spot, handily and clearly to anyone watching.

Moot.

Honestly, I trust the staff to make the right call when it comes to cuts. There really hasn't been a guy who was cut from TC and blossomed on another team under this regime's watch - to my memory. That said, Reggie's chops on draft day are certainly questionable at this point.

2 minutes ago, holyghost said:

With Calhoun and Lewis cut I can only imagine some of our more flexible DT guys will be playing edge at times - Ward, Autry, and Edwards. And the overstock at DT (if you include the previous three guys) in Vanderdoes, Ellis, Hester, possibly Latham bears that possibility out as well. We still have bodies for DT while those 3 guys possibly get DE snaps. 

That's fine I guess. They won't be speed rushers, and we have none, and we still have major rush worries from the backup edge, but at least they won't be pushed around easily outside like Calhoun was.

I agree. Also important to add that DT Paul Boyette (6'1 310) hasn't been waived unless someone can correct me if wrong.

12 minutes ago, holyghost said:

It doesn't necessarily make the point moot, though I wouldn't mind that anyway. I am glad they have learned and want the right steps to be taken so the team can succeed. Me winning theses and arguments is insignificant to that. The things I laid out have happened in the past, cutting someone like Calhoun means they're getting it and it's now happening less. 

And it's sad that a 3rd rounder from last year was cut. That is looking more and more like a pretty bad draft for a team that needed it to be a good one. Oh well, at least moving on quickly is good. 

Yeah it does, you said Lewis was beat out by Calhoun, he wasn't. 

Archived