Will 2022 be held in Qatar?

Thelonebillsfan

Will it?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no?

• Yes
    • No

On 6/15/2019 at 11:43 AM, mse326 said:

Sports and politics are not intrinsically linked. They are linked in this and other situations, but that is the doing of individuals (either as individuals or through organizations). There is nothing that actually requires it though. Sports should be above politics, and it sucks when it's not.

Sports and poltiics might not be intrinsically linked, but FIFA and politics certainly are.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/football/michel-platini-2022-world-cup-arrest-intl/index.html

This is a positive sign. Ideally, he stares down a significant enough jail sentence that he starts singing. While justice for the Qatari powers who sanctioned the human trafficking and slave labor are a pipe dream, I'd love to see the UEFA/FIFA members get theirs.

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/18/football/michel-platini-2022-world-cup-arrest-intl/index.html

This is a positive sign. Ideally, he stares down a significant enough jail sentence that he starts singing. While justice for the Qatari powers who sanctioned the human trafficking and slave labor are a pipe dream, I'd love to see the UEFA/FIFA members get theirs.

At least if the people who took the money get more than a slap on the wrist, that's something. It's not much, but to get the people who sanctioned and made all this death happen for nothing than their own personal enrichment to face justice will have to be enough.

On 18/06/2019 at 1:29 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't necessarily know if it was corruption in this case. Basically, before the WC attribution, Sarkozy, French President at the time, and Platini had dinner and, presumably, Sarkozy pushed Platini to vote for Qatar (him and his friends at FIFA).

At the time, Qatar invested lots of money in France, including PSG, a club that Sarkozy wants to be president to one day.

So I don't know if Platini was directly corrupted by Qatar. We'll see how the judicial process works out though