2019 Women's World Cup Thread

Woz

We need a thread for the ladies, right? Right!

Any thoughts about the Thailand Chainsaw Massacre? With one game in the books for the group stages, any teams out there that you say "they're dangerous?"

36 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Go France! Let's be the only team to hold both Men's and Women's trophy at the same time!

(yes I know we'll miserably fail in the quarters)

What worries me is the potential quarterfinal matchup with Les Bleus in Paris. Would love to dodge the host until the final.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

We need a thread for the ladies, right? Right!

Any thoughts about the Thailand Chainsaw Massacre? With one game in the books for the group stages, any teams out there that you say "they're dangerous?"

Chile might be even worse. Thailand is ranked higher than them.

Honestly the only match in this tournament that truly matters is USA/France in the quarters. I don't see anyone else challenging the US. 

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Chile might be even worse. Thailand is ranked higher than them.

If Chile's GK plays like she did today, they should be okay. Still likely a L, but not like the shredding of souls that Thailand just suffered.

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Honestly the only match in this tournament that truly matters is USA/France in the quarters. I don't see anyone else challenging the US.

Sweden will likely play them tough.

7 minutes ago, kempus said:

13-0 is not a good look for the Womens World cup, imo.

Sometimes a team gets thrown into the wood chipper. Happens in the men's side too (last one was 8-0 Germany over Saudi Arabia in 2002).

To be fair, once it was 7-0, I thought they should have taken their foot off the gas. I get the argument about changing tactics/formation, but that was overkill.

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

Sometimes a team gets thrown into the wood chipper. Happens in the men's side too (last one was 8-0 Germany over Saudi Arabia in 2002).

To be fair, once it was 7-0, I thought they should have taken their foot off the gas. I get the argument about changing tactics/formation, but that was overkill.

Indeed it happens, but not usually at the world cup. Especially not double digits. Just further highlights the enormous skill gap in womens football. 

5 minutes ago, kempus said:

Indeed it happens, but not usually at the world cup. Especially not double digits. Just further highlights the enormous skill gap in womens football. 

True. But part of that is the enlarged tournament this year in hopes it gets more nations to actually support their teams. 

And Sweden is also capable of thumping Thailand so we really didn't have much of a choice but to keep going.

The fact that France and USA are likely to play in the quarters is just stupid. I know it was drawn instead of placed, but that is great way to kill interest. Either you lose the host or you lose the big money making nation. I think they should have gone 4 groups of 6 to be able to keep the top 4 teams apart until the semis.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

True. But part of that is the enlarged tournament this year in hopes it gets more nations to actually support their teams. 

And Sweden is also capable of thumping Thailand so we really didn't have much of a choice but to keep going.

The fact that France and USA are likely to play in the quarters is just stupid. I know it was drawn instead of placed, but that is great way to kill interest. Either you lose the host or you lose the big money making nation. I think they should have gone 4 groups of 6 to be able to keep the top 4 teams apart until the semis.

From the critics point of view, its free ammo to throw at and laugh at the quality of womens football. Rightly or wrongly. Having more nations and embarrassing results like this will probably do more to deter nations from supporting the game. No nations likes to be embarrassed on a national stage.

Can't really criticise the US for continuing to go full throttle, thats how you have to play. But, some form of common sense should have kicked in at some point.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

I've got no problems with the US continuing to score, but I thought them continuing their exuberant celebrations when they were up by so many goals was distasteful.

They've all but guaranteed that most people will be rooting against them now imo

• Like 4

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

FWIW 538.com had France as the slight favourites to win the whole thing (in part because of HFA)

Yeah I know but our women squad is known for repeatedly disappointing everyone. Draw didn't help too. 

Though it would be so French to beat the US in the quarters before losing in the semis and the 3rd place game 

5 hours ago, drd23 said:

I've got no problems with the US continuing to score, but I thought them continuing their exuberant celebrations when they were up by so many goals was distasteful.

They've all but guaranteed that most people will be rooting against them now imo

Yeah, I thought was all just a pretty bad look to be honest. At some point you've got to take your foot off the gas and let the game run its course. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the US women's team, theyve always struck me as a bit brash. 

I agre with what Kempus was saying about having more nations who are vastly inferior might not be the way to go. No one wants to watch that, it's not fun for the players or the fans and just sort of devalues the whole opening rounds. 

I havent watched a ton of matches so far but the few I have seemed like theyve been a bit higher quality techincally than in the past which is a very good thing. 

5 hours ago, TedLavie said:

Yeah I know but our women squad is known for repeatedly disappointing everyone. Draw didn't help too. 

And that is different from a normal French team* how exactly? :P

* Last years Men's team was clearly an exception to the rule ;)

• Like 2