2019 Women's World Cup Thread

Woz

4 hours ago, Woz said:

Don't know if I agree that the US was the better side in this game. They did what they needed to do, but they probably shouldn't have won. If France could have connected on one of the numerous passes into the box, it could just as easy the US going home.

They were much more clinical on offense and defense. It's not always pretty but you can see the difference. Honestly it reminded us of our men's team last year were we didn't play the best football of the tournament but we were very efficient. Same here IMHO. Maybe our players were in better shape and had more energy. But there was a gap in technical and mental play. 

Julie Ertz was outstanding btw

On 6/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, mse326 said:

France and Germany out of the olympics. UEFA needs to change the qualifying for that

1. I was under the impression that UEFA just changed to that system (using the top 3 teams in the WC auto-qualifying for the Olympics).
  2. I was under the impression that there were three more slots available, so France and Germany can still qualify (albeit having to go through a qualification campaign instead of getting the automatic bid).

3 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. I was under the impression that UEFA just changed to that system (using the top 3 teams in the WC auto-qualifying for the Olympics).
  2. I was under the impression that there were three more slots available, so France and Germany can still qualify (albeit having to go through a qualification campaign instead of getting the automatic bid).

1. Definitely was the same for 2012 and 2016. That is why Germany missed in 2012. 2016 they needed to supplement it with a qualifying tournament because England was one of the top 3 finishers but the home nations couldn't come to an agreement on how or if that qualifies GB. They figured that out this year beforehand

2. No. Only 3 UEFA teams make it because it is only a 12 team tournament.

47 minutes ago, mse326 said:

1. Definitely was the same for 2012 and 2016. That is why Germany missed in 2012. 2016 they needed to supplement it with a qualifying tournament because England was one of the top 3 finishers but the home nations couldn't come to an agreement on how or if that qualifies GB. They figured that out this year beforehand

Huh. Guess I misheard it when they were talking about it.

47 minutes ago, mse326 said:

2. No. Only 3 UEFA teams make it because it is only a 12 team tournament.

Bringing it up to 16 (equivalent to the men's field) would seem to make sense.

Boosting both up to 24 would also make sense.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Huh. Guess I misheard it when they were talking about it.

Bringing it up to 16 (equivalent to the men's field) would seem to make sense.

Boosting both up to 24 would also make sense.

24 team tournament? In 2 weeks?

10 minutes ago, mse326 said:

24 team tournament? In 2 weeks?

You could start a bit earlier (I recall another sport technically starts before the opening ceremony, but cannot recall what it is off the top of my head), but fair point.

7 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I hope the US loses because I can't stand Megan Rapinoe. 

Are you American? Seems a pretty ridiculous reason to hope the entire team loses because you dislike one player.

I hope the US loses because ... they are playing England! xDxD I am definitely not a womens football expert. I have seen every England game so far this tournament; they play a possession based system with overlapping full backs being a key part of their attacking shape (try to create 2v1 overload situations for the opposition full backs).

This works great if you aren't sloppy in possession, but if you lose the ball with full backs high up the pitch, that leaves a lot of counter attacking opportunities for the opposition.

Is there pace in the American attack, in particular out wide?

12 hours ago, Woz said:

You could start a bit earlier (I recall another sport technically starts before the opening ceremony, but cannot recall what it is off the top of my head), but fair point.

It already is football that starts a day or two before the opening ceremony. From an article about the Rio Olympics

Wednesday, August 3
Two days before the Opening Ceremonies, the games will cover the group stage of women’s soccer throughout the day, running from noon–8 p.m.*

Major Events:
Team USA plays New Zealand, 6–8 p.m.

Thursday, August 4
Thursday will cover the group stage of men’s soccer throughout the day, running from noon–11 p.m.

Major Events: 
Brazil plays South Africa in hopes of winning their first soccer gold medal, 3–5 p.m.

Friday, August 5
There will be coverage of the archery ranking round throughout the day for both men and women, but the main event on Friday is the Opening Ceremonies, which start at 7 p.m. with the parade of nations and conclude with the cauldron lighting.

https://www.vulture.com/2016/08/olympics-2016-schedule-event-guide.html