Raiders officially on Hard Knocks

RaidersAreOne

42 minutes ago, Woz said:

Indeed. Probably dodged for next year too since either they either make the playoffs or (more likely) Gruden is fired and they have a new coach.

Giants would have made sense but I think New York and Washington fought tooth and nail not to be the host. Both franchises/owners have said in the past that they won't host HK under any circumstances.

Figured they would want to make the Raiders the subject for 2020 when in Las Vegas for the first year, but probably went with the Raiders now because no other team wanted to do it (maybe they paid Mark Davis?).

I thought it wasn't a choice? All indications are no team wants to do it. It is forced on them.

NFL went with choice that makes the best TV. Redskins and Giants don't have a lot of personalities. Nobody is tuning into watch a Beckham-less Giants team. The Raiders are ripe for drama and I'm here for it.

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I thought it wasn't a choice? All indications are no team wants to do it. It is forced on them.

Hence my comment that maybe they kicked Mark Davis some extra coin to "volunteer."

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

NFL went with choice that makes the best TV. Redskins and Giants don't have a lot of personalities. Nobody is tuning into watch a Beckham-less Giants team. The Raiders are ripe for drama and I'm here for it.

Washington with all its regular drumbeat of nuttiness isn't ripe for drama?

Biggest market team in potentially in a switchover of eras?

I'm not saying that the Raiders were the wrong choice, but I think you are underselling what the Giants or Washington could have brought to the table in terms of storylines.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Figured they would want to make the Raiders the subject for 2020 when in Las Vegas for the first year, but probably went with the Raiders now because no other team wanted to do it (maybe they paid Mark Davis?).

I just don't know that you can take the chance that they make the playoffs of something and lose out altogether. It's not likely to happen, but you just never know. People thought the niners were going to be legit contenders in the suck for luck sweepstakes in 2011, and they probably should have been in the super bowl. You just never know. 

14 hours ago, Forge said:

I just don't know that you can take the chance that they make the playoffs of something and lose out altogether. It's not likely to happen, but you just never know. People thought the niners were going to be legit contenders in the suck for luck sweepstakes in 2011, and they probably should have been in the super bowl. You just never know. 

Oh I get there is a chance they wouldn't qualify next year. To be honest, of all of the teams who were eligible, I think only Detroit is perhaps better than a 20-1 shot to make the playoffs.

At the same time, I suspect the NFL would have rather had the focus on the "new" Las Vegas Raiders in their new stadium, as opposed to the "soon-to-be-leaving" Oakland Raiders and all of that noise.