Chris Blew It, Elliott Blew It, and Eddie Blew It, Jeezus

soulman

if we're going with the "our 2019 kicker isn't on the roster yet" i would look towards the 2nd kicker on the ravens rn. (WAY too lazy to look up his name)

dude has a boot, and there was talk that the ravens might consider carrying 2 kickers just to keep this guy. things changed when he was jumped before the season started and was badly beaten, but word is he is recovered and with tucker's new extention, the young guy might get dropped.

not sure if anyone else read it, but there was an article about how the ravens discovered tucker on The Athletic (highly recommend), and there is a mention by someone in the article about how if you want a kicker, take whoever the ravens cut at the end of preseason. 2 spoilers from the article, Robbie was one of those kickers the ravens cut at one point, and that the bears showed the 2nd most interest in tucker, but wanted him as a punter rather than a kicker (tucker was both at Texas)

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any chance the Bears trade for Robbie Could?

Not if SF is unwilling to trade him and so far they've given no indication they will.

But.....this is June.  If whoever they're replacing him with now and probably for the entire preseason is really good who knows how they may feel by Sept.

Our problem is by then we may have committed more cap to other extensions and bringing Robbie back at his pay rate may not be possible.

I also believe Pace and Nagy will want to position settled before then either with one of the two in camp or a vet they bring in on a one year deal.

• Like 1

Sounds like both kickers did much better. Both his from 40+ and 50+ in the pressure scenarios, but Pineiro went 2-2 while Fry went 2-3.

I like that Nagy is putting them around all their teammates and putting up potential runs and such if they miss.

• Like 1

Yep.....here's the poop on that.

Originally posted on Sportsnaut  |  By Matt Johnson  |  Last updated 6/13/19

The Chicago Bears kicking competition got off to a laughable start this summer and was described as a “fascinating spectacle” by quarterback Mitch Trubisky. Finally, Chicago’s two kickers came through for their teammates on Thursday.

Head coach Matt Nagy ended organized team activities by having kickers Eddy Pineiro and Elliott Fry each attempt a 40-yard field goal attempt with a lot on the line. If both kickers missed, the entire team would have to run sprints to end the practice session.

While the stakes weren’t as high as a playoff game, having the entire team watch you with their fate in your hands can put a lot of pressure on a kicker. Fortunately for everyone in Chicago, both kickers delivered in the clutch.

Eddy Pineiro and Elliott Fry came through in the clutch to end minicamp.

Matt Nagy: “They both nailed two 40-yarders right down the middle.”

The makes meant the team didn’t have to run gassers.

Fry and Pineiro became the heroes their teammates needed at the end of practice by saving them from grueling conditioning workouts. Drilling the kicks should also be a nice boost of confidence for the competing kickers after some bad misses earlier.

Now Nagy and the Bears can only hope the clutch kicking and high confidence can carry over into training camp and then into the season. Otherwise, running gassers will be the least of Chicago’s problems.

• Like 1

I dont think our kicking situation is that bad.  I think Pineiro is likely a top talent.  Just needs experience.  

In long run could end up a strength.  

Situation is making everyone have knee jerk panic reactions.  I think it would be a mistake to bring in old dude with weakened leg over young stud. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I dont think our kicking situation is that bad.  I think Pineiro is likely a top talent.  Just needs experience.  

In long run could end up a strength.  

Situation is making everyone have knee jerk panic reactions.  I think it would be a mistake to bring in old dude with weakened leg over young stud. 

I'm hoping he makes it.  He's got a big leg and if he can pair it with accuracy under pressure we have our PK for the next decade or more.

• Like 1

Perspective is needed here IMO. We don’t need to have a Justin Tucker clone as our kicker. That’d be great, but the need is for reliability, even if that means a guy who’s really solid from 49 or less and a coin flip from 50+. At least that gives you a relative constant with which to work, and for most teams the 49 or less FGs make up about 85% of all attempts. Anything more than that is gravy. FWIW that 49 or less kicker was Gould for us for his first 4 seasons. He didn’t even attempt a 50+ yard FG in 3 of his first 4 seasons, and didn’t make one until season 5. Pineiro’s big leg is great but if his accuracy isn’t consistently going to be there then it doesn’t matter. 

Something else to consider regarding our options - there are other kicking competitions going on elsewhere too. Ours will play out in the preseason where pressure goes up as well as with kicks in front of fans daily at TC (where I’m hoping they involve the fans to REALLY crank up the pressure - make the kick and every fan wins a Coke or something like that), but there is no question that we’ll be watching other teams during preseason too.

One competition in particular stands out to me. Tampa Bay drafted Matt Gay in the 4th round. Their other rostered kicker is Cairo Santos, who was in KC with Nagy, and before being hurt early in 2017 and being displaced by Butker he was 88.6% in KC in 2016 and 84.8% over 3+ seasons. He’s also only 27. Assuming Matt Gay wins the TB job I think Santos is a VERY viable option for us as a training camp add. I’d be shocked if there hadn’t already been preliminary talks there. I could very easily see a situation where we release Pineiro and trade that same conditional 2020 pick we’d then not owe to OAK to TB for Santos (1 year $1M contract) whom they’d be cutting for nothing anyway. Santos kicked successfully in KC for 3 years so we know he can deal with lousy weather conditions, and he’s not only had success under NFL pressure but sustained success. If he’s right he’s also a 10-year fix who costs us basically the league minimum until the Parkey dead money is out of the picture. 

Beyond that, Cleveland drafted Austin Siebert. Their 2018 kicker, 24-year old Greg Joseph, was 17-20 last year (though missed 4 XP). He also went to the Jamie Kohl kicking camp. This is definitely a lesser option than Santos to me, but I don’t think it’s our worst option. 

Should either Gay or Siebert not make their squad (highly unlikely) I don’t think it’s out of the question that we scoop them up either. BAL, DEN, SF, CIN, IND and PIT also each have 2 kickers in camp. Dollars to donuts one or more of those vets is beat out. IMO we should have someone at every one of those training camps charting kicker activity daily. No stone unturned. 

My preference is that Pineiro wins the job outright because his ceiling is really high, because he seems to have moxie which I like. Any kicker who can excel on the road in the SEC has to have some serious game day stones. Reality for me though is I just want a kicker who isn’t a liability. It’s not a high standard, but it’s an unbending one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

One competition in particular stands out to me. Tampa Bay drafted Matt Gay in the 4th round. Their other rostered kicker is Cairo Santos, who was in KC with Nagy, and before being hurt early in 2017 and being displaced by Butker he was 88.6% in KC in 2016 and 84.8% over 3+ seasons. He’s also only 27. Assuming Matt Gay wins the TB job I think Santos is a VERY viable option for us as a training camp add. I’d be shocked if there hadn’t already been preliminary talks there. I could very easily see a situation where we release Pineiro and trade that same conditional 2020 pick we’d then not owe to OAK to TB for Santos (1 year $1M contract) whom they’d be cutting for nothing anyway. Santos kicked successfully in KC for 3 years so we know he can deal with lousy weather conditions, and he’s not only had success under NFL pressure but sustained success. If he’s right he’s also a 10-year fix who costs us basically the league minimum until the Parkey dead money is out of the picture. 

Do you remember we literally had Santos on our team 2 years ago? or as Fox called him, Carlos Santos. If Pace saw him as a long term viability, then he likely would have resigned him instead of signing Parkey

Didn't Santos suffer a groin injury and end up on IR late in 2017 shortly after we signed him?

I suppose it's possible Pace preferred an uninjured Parkey to Santos who may still have been recovering from his injury.  I wouldn't necessarily take that to mean Santos wasn't on his short list to sign.

A groin injury to Piniero last season also has me concerned because as I recall it was after a similar injury when Gould's numbers suffered for a year or so.  They can take a long time to fully heal.  I've had a severe one myself.

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Do you remember we literally had Santos on our team 2 years ago? or as Fox called him, Carlos Santos. If Pace saw him as a long term viability, then he likely would have resigned him instead of signing Parkey

Santos got hurt in 2017 and may not have been healed to their satisfaction before 2018 FA hit. Also, despite what recency tells about Parkey he was 21-23 on FG in Miami in 2017 before we signed him, and 20-21 inside 50 yards. It turned out terribly but it’s not as though there wasn’t a reason Pace gave him the deal he did.