Cuts to 53

Madmike90

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Relying on chronically injured players has worked out so well for them.

McPhee

-Fool me once, shame on uou

-Fool me twice, fire John Fox

Call Halas Hall and tell them you won't be happy until McPhee is released. I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige.

The first thing I would say about the roster is...calm down...there is no way that will be the roster come next Sunday...

I don't see any way we carry 5 TEs...more than likely cut Braunecker and pick up a cut WR.

I full expect us to pick up a cut DL as well...probably cutting a DB like LeBlanc, McManis or Hall if not cutting two of these guys and picking up another LB given McPhee and Trevathan's injury history.

Can also still see Langford being cut to make room for another defender if we like one of those three safeties.

3 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Seriously, if then Bears had kept Gentry, nobody would have a damn word to say against the roster. Nothing but one bit cryfest.

Yawn.

I'm equally upset about cutting Irving, kid was having superstar levels of pass rush production for an OLB  (albeit entirely against 3rd-no string players)

I fail to see how he shouldn't have bumped out Sam Acho for a roster spot, since we know for sure what Acho already is.... or not just been kept regardless since there's a rather large depth concern with McPheee's knees making him half a player at best snap count wise, and Particularly since Houston is apparently being given the boot (despite him actually playing well)

If I had to guess I'd say they wanted to try and get Gentry through to the practice squad and figured first round of cuts was best chance for that

Guessing the fullback and braunecker and some others are quick to be cut if someone they like becomes available.

Still seems like flying without a net here, but I imagine Pace has his eye on a few players getting cut elsewhere.  Hopefully it works out and we're all a little pacified when we see results. 

11 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The first thing I would say about the roster is...calm down...there is no way that will be the roster come next Sunday...

I don't see any way we carry 5 TEs...more than likely cut Braunecker and pick up a cut WR.

I full expect us to pick up a cut DL as well...probably cutting a DB like LeBlanc, McManis or Hall if not cutting two of these guys and picking up another LB given McPhee and Trevathan's injury history.

Can also still see Langford being cut to make room for another defender if we like one of those three safeties.

Exactly re: calming down. This year is different than others because there was no cut down last week to 75. I'm expecting a crap ton of waiver claims league wide and we have 3rd waiver priority so I expect us to be awarded a few which will at least somewhat change the current roster. That said, changes are going to be depth guys unless we swing a trade for a WR. Nobody that got cut was a starter or probably even a key contributor for this team in 2017 outside of ST. 

Like the idea of Calhoun - liked him pre-draft and makes sense given the current depth concerns we have at OLB. The released WR options don't do anything for me for 2017 purposes. 

Would have liked to see Gentry stick as he likely never would have been more than a reserve, but still better than Bellamy. At that point of depth you need ST though, I don't remember him making any plays there off the top of my head. Likely will go to practice squad and get the call up sooner rather than later due to an injury that seems to be inevitable.

I'd like to see Aguayo in practice squad just on the small chance he gets himself sorted out. Cap space won't be limited by him at all, and he can compete next year with someone we bring in.

Glad to see Burton got the FB job, I like Stevenson still, but I was really hoping to have a FB and Burton is underrated.

I'm shocked both Jenkins and Jaye Howard were cut. I know we spend most of the time in nickel but Goldman is the only true nose and he has been injured. If he goes down to we just see Unrein/Bullard go there? Jenkins has no pass rush at all but the few times I remember seeing him he was stacking and shedding pretty well. I might have missed some really bad plays though.

Glad to see RRH got the nod though.

I liked Irving, I would have likely cut McManis and tried to find someone else to take his special teams reps, and tried Irving. He will likely go the RRH route and earn a spot on the 53 next year if he keeps frinding and doesn't get poached.

TEs to me means he really likes one of the young guys and is waiting to let teams set their 53, then will kick one down to PS to see if he can retain them one more year, and get depth elsewhere from another team's cut.

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'm equally upset about cutting Irving, kid was having superstar levels of pass rush production for an OLB  (albeit entirely against 3rd-no string players)

I fail to see how he shouldn't have bumped out Sam Acho for a roster spot, since we know for sure what Acho already is.... or not just been kept regardless since there's a rather large depth concern with McPheee's knees making him half a player at best snap count wise, and Particularly since Houston is apparently being given the boot (despite him actually playing well)

To what end do unproven UDFAs take precedent over average but steady vets? Always banking on upside is just as risky as never banking on upside.

Bears claimed WR Tre McBride off waivers from the Titans.

The No. 245 overall pick of the 2015 draft, McBride began his career as a revered Dynasty league sleeper. He proceeded to catch two passes in two years, spending more time on the practice squad than active roster. Going on 25, he'll compete for snaps at the back end of the Bears' wafer-thin receiver corps.

Bears claimed RB Taquan Mizzell off waivers from the Ravens.

An UDFA out of Virginia, Mizzell racked up a whopping 52 preseason touches. For now, he's claiming Ka'Deem Carey's (wrist) roster spot, but he probably won't last the entire year on the Bears' 53-man roster.

McBride is an outstanding athlete...interesting to see if he can do something as a WR...can't see Mizzell making it to next week.

Archived