Cuts to 53

Madmike90

Vikings just waived draft pick TE Bucky Hodges with an injury designation (concussion).... Similar to Shaheen in his freakish size, and usage more as a jumbo WR than an inline guy...

Assuming it's just a concussion, I'd be more than willing to kick the tires there and boot a guy like Bellamy or Deon Bush... Long term it gives us some insurance against Shaheen busting and if both Shaheen and Hodges play well, another gigantic mismatch target that could let us move on from Miller next season...

At that point I'd also just be making 2x TE sets the "base" offense.

40 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Vikings just waived draft pick TE Bucky Hodges with an injury designation (concussion).... Similar to Shaheen in his freakish size, and usage more as a jumbo WR than an inline guy...

Assuming it's just a concussion, I'd be more than willing to kick the tires there and boot a guy like Bellamy or Deon Bush... Long term it gives us some insurance against Shaheen busting and if both Shaheen and Hodges play well, another gigantic mismatch target that could let us move on from Miller next season...

At that point I'd also just be making 2x TE sets the "base" offense.

Set aside that I think Hodges is a long shot project, but Bush and Bellamy are 4-phase ST players. Hodges probably isn't filling that role. Our insurance against Shaheen busting is probably Sims, who's on a deal with 2 years worth of guarantees.

29 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Set aside that I think Hodges is a long shot project, but Bush and Bellamy are 4-phase ST players. Hodges probably isn't filling that role. Our insurance against Shaheen busting is probably Sims, who's on a deal with 2 years worth of guarantees.

Indeed, they are ST guys, and people that deep on the roster are basically useful only on ST..... That being said Bucky Hodges simply has tools that neither Bush or Bellamy have, even if he's only used as a STer.....

"The other philosophy is Bill Parcells' "planet theory," that there are only a handful of men on the planet with size and the skill / athleticism to play in the NFL "

A 6'6" 260lb guy who can run a 40 yard dash in 4.57 and has a 39in vertical is incredibly rare for this planet, especially considering

via PFF

• Offers impressive size-to-speed-to-hands combination.
  • Big-game playmaker, caught the go-ahead TD pass in 2015 upset win over Ohio State, and collected 20 touchdown passes combined during his three seasons with the Hokies.
  • Receiving experience is second-to-none in the draft class — most snaps in route (1,112), targets (238), receptions (133), and yards (1,755) since 2014.
  • Playbook scheme versatility — shifted from Frank Beamer’s pro style to Justin Fuente’s spread offense in 2016 — also adjusting to a role split wide — while still generating career highs in receiving totals.
  • Ability to work downfield creates consistent mismatches facing smaller defenders — 25 receptions of 20 or more yards at Virginia Tech.
  • Snaps run from the slot decreased from 527 combined from 2014-15 to 65 in 2016, but posted the ninth-best average yardage per route run from the slot (1.68) in the TE draft class since 2014.
  • Utilizes wingspan well to create separation at the catch point.

Yeah, the guy would be a project, and we do already have a freakish size TE guy we drafted for that exact purpose.... but there are only so many guys like that on the planet.... and I scarcely believe a guy with those kinds of physical attributes can't be useful on special teams. Long term, with both him and Shaheen we'd have an incredibly difficult to match up with TE grouping.  Just my $0.02.

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Indeed, they are ST guys, and people that deep on the roster are basically useful only on ST..... That being said Bucky Hodges simply has tools that neither Bush or Bellamy have, even if he's only used as a STer.....

"The other philosophy is Bill Parcells' "planet theory," that there are only a handful of men on the planet with size and the skill / athleticism to play in the NFL "

A 6'6" 260lb guy who can run a 40 yard dash in 4.57 and has a 39in vertical is incredibly rare for this planet, especially considering

via PFF

• Offers impressive size-to-speed-to-hands combination.
  • Big-game playmaker, caught the go-ahead TD pass in 2015 upset win over Ohio State, and collected 20 touchdown passes combined during his three seasons with the Hokies.
  • Receiving experience is second-to-none in the draft class — most snaps in route (1,112), targets (238), receptions (133), and yards (1,755) since 2014.
  • Playbook scheme versatility — shifted from Frank Beamer’s pro style to Justin Fuente’s spread offense in 2016 — also adjusting to a role split wide — while still generating career highs in receiving totals.
  • Ability to work downfield creates consistent mismatches facing smaller defenders — 25 receptions of 20 or more yards at Virginia Tech.
  • Snaps run from the slot decreased from 527 combined from 2014-15 to 65 in 2016, but posted the ninth-best average yardage per route run from the slot (1.68) in the TE draft class since 2014.
  • Utilizes wingspan well to create separation at the catch point.

Yeah, the guy would be a project, and we do already have a freakish size TE guy we drafted for that exact purpose.... but there are only so many guys like that on the planet.... and I scarcely believe a guy with those kinds of physical attributes can't be useful on special teams. Long term, with both him and Shaheen we'd have an incredibly difficult to match up with TE grouping.  Just my $0.02.

If there was anything there, why would MIN just cut him loose having just used a draft pick on him THIS year? 

Fendi Onubon was a freak athlete too but he couldn't play football for ****. 

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Thank you for being seemingly the only Bears fan I've ever seen who realizes that special teams ability takes priority over positional ability at the bottom of the roster.

A lot of people say they get it, and then add "yeah, but."

Something of note: Sanchez made the 53. Some had speculated that he could be released.

I think the plan is that if the Bears have to move away from Glennon mid-game for any reason, Sanchez gets mop-up duty. Trubisky will not play unless he gets the full week to prepare as the starter, with all of the practice reps and a game plan tailored for him.

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

Something of note: Sanchez made the 53. Some had speculated that he could be released.

I think the plan is that if the Bears have to move away from Glennon mid-game for any reason, Sanchez gets mop-up duty. Trubisky will not play unless he gets the full week to prepare as the starter, with all of the practice reps and a game plan tailored for him.

The unfortunate thing is he's only going to get reps at that point when they decide to make him a starter. Otherwise he's going to get minimal reps if any before that time when he needs them. 

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

The unfortunate thing is he's only going to get reps at that point when they decide to make him a starter. Otherwise he's going to get minimal reps if any before that time when he needs them. 

QB2 usually gets zero practice reps too, so either way he's hosed.

4 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Thank you for being seemingly the only Bears fan I've ever seen who realizes that special teams ability takes priority over positional ability at the bottom of the roster.

:(

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If there was anything there, why would MIN just cut him loose having just used a draft pick on him THIS year? 

Fendi Onubon was a freak athlete too but he couldn't play football for ****. 

Because he's in the concussion protocol,, and they are trying to stash him on IR as a redshirt season.

The Fedni comparison is extremely poor, and lazy.....Fendi didn't even play football....Hodges was extremely successful as a TE in college, produced at an extremely high level in the receiving game, and put out an amazing combine to boot. He's quantifiably better in every measurable way than Shaheen, a guy we already drafted AND rostered. Oh... and he had better production in preseason as well....

5 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

And long term potential takes precedence over both of those things when you are talking about a rebuilding roster that isn't going to make the playoffs this year..... Not to mention the fact that you could literally just keep him as one of the 5 inactives each week.... and not have to worry about him ruining special teams (and that's with a rather erroneous assumption that a guy with his size/measurables couldn't find some utility on Special Teams as well)

3 hours ago, Castiron said:

I'd pick up Hodges just as an FU to the Vikings.

That would also be a wonderful bonus to the situation.

5 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

You can also over value special teams. Which I happen to think the Bears do.

An example: The Bears 4th WR, who could start week 1, is a far better special teamer than WR. You are hurting the offense to help the special teams.

I have no issue with special teams guys making the team, but the Bears WR position is an extreme the other way.

Archived