Saints sign WR Rishard Matthews; UPDATE: Matthews retired

TheKillerNacho

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/12414/rishard-matthews

After a bizarre year were he quit on the Titans after only three games, eventually being traded to the Jets and doing nothing there either. If healthy, he may be able to come in and be a contributor. He had a total of 1,740 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns over the course of the two previous seasons with the Titans.

Update: He was released by the team with a "Left team" designation, then decided to announce his retirement.

WR depth is never a bad thing for the Saints. The kid has some talent, and Brees has made players with less talent than him look good. Hopefully he can keep his head right and come in and contribute. With Meredith still not healthy from his knee injury (and most likely going to be released), I could see Matthews getting a shot to make the roster.

He felt disrespected by the Titans and now he is disrespected by the entire league on merit.

• He had about 12 to 13 million waiting for him in 2018 and 2019 with Tennessee.
    • He made about 1.5 last year and probably signed for vet minimum in New Orleans.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SkippyX said:

He felt disrespected by the Titans and now he is disrespected by the entire league on merit.

• He had about 12 to 13 million waiting for him in 2018 and 2019 with Tennessee.
    • He made about 1.5 last year and probably signed for vet minimum in New Orleans.

Yep and all because we brought him back slow from injury to ensure he was fully healthy. 

On 6/14/2019 at 12:07 PM, SWATcha said:

WR depth is never a bad thing for the Saints. The kid has some talent, and Brees has made players with less talent than him look good. Hopefully he can keep his head right and come in and contribute. With Meredith still not healthy from his knee injury (and most likely going to be released), I could see Matthews getting a shot to make the roster.

I agree. Sometimes it's a culture thing, and of course, time will tell.
Some people just need a change in their surroundings, regardless of whether they're a "good" or "bad" person.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:43 AM, RuskieTitan said:

Toxic player. Surprised anyone would bring him into their locker room after he just quit on the Titans.

I’d say there’s about a zero percent chance he messes with the Saints chemistry regardless, so I don’t see it as a huge issue.

• 1 month later...

Rishard Matthews cut by team with a “left squad” designation. 

He quit on the Saints and unless they remove that designation from his release it is my understanding that he cannot play for another team until his contract is up. 

Not that anyone wants him 

• Like 1