Anthony Davis traded to Lakers (Ball/Ingram/Hart/3 1sts)

NYRaider

Just now, JMG5 said:

Players they got are underwhelming, but apparently they got control (pick swaps and such) over the Lakers draft for the next 6-7 years.

Yes but between LeBron, AD, and whatever other player they bring in to complete their Big 3, their pick is never going to be outside the mid-late 20s. FIrst round picks aren't always good value in this league.

2 minutes ago, amac said:

From what I’ve seen of Ingram he looks like can be KD lite. Hopefully he can start hitting 3s at a high clip, but I like the upside. 

I don't think he can be that because he's nowhere near the shooter Durant is, but he's a really talented player who will be very good in this league. 

Just now, Danger said:

Yes but between LeBron, AD, and whatever other player they bring in to complete their Big 3, their pick is never going to be outside the mid-late 20s. FIrst round picks aren't always good value in this league.

That's not true.  Also, I read that the Pelicans can choose the first rounders over the next seven years.  They're not taking the pick from next season.  The Lakers are screwed in the future, but it'll be worth if they can win a title.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

That's not true.  Also, I read that the Pelicans can choose the first rounders over the next seven years.  They're not taking the pick from next season.  The Lakers are screwed in the future, but it'll be worth if they can win a title.

What aspect of it's not true????? Where the Lakers will be picking, or that late first round picks are less than 50-50 for even getting a role player in the NBA?

7 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Players they got are underwhelming, but apparently they got control (pick swaps and such) over the Lakers draft for the next 6-7 years.

How does trading three #1's (starting this year) equate into draft control for the next 6-7 years?

1 minute ago, Leader said:

How does trading three #1's (starting this year) equate into draft control for the next 6-7 years?

pick swaps for the other years? or some of the years in-between?

also, maybe she just meant 6 years down the line, not all 6 years. you know because you can't trade back to back 1sts

Edited by 11sanchez11

I think this is a great deal for both sides. Lakers get a borderline top 5 player, and will be a major attraction for veteran ring chasers, especially if/once they add a 3rd max guy. Pelicans get 2 high ceiling guys in Ball and Ingram, nothing special now and they probably won't ever develop into perennials all-stars, but both definitely could as they have the tools. Get control over Lakers picks for next several years, those last few years could be very good if Lebron, and maybe even AD, are gone. 

8 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

pick swaps for the other years? or some of the years in-between?

also, maybe she just meant 6 years down the line, not all 6 years. you know because you can't trade back to back 1sts

Oh. I didnt know that. Thanks.
I figured it would be firsts for the next three years.

I dont follow the NBA as closely as other leagues - so I dont zone in on their drafts.
Couple of observations.......
First - the LAL havent done all so good with their firsts. Seemed like good players when drafted - less impact with the team.
Second - people are saying this years draft is three deep - well if ANY draft is only three impact players deep - doesnt say much for the talent level coming out IMO.

I like/liked the guys NOLA got and expected them to grow / jell better than they did this year. Honestly, it was a pretty f'd up year. We needed to give up to get good - and we got good. I dont wish NOLA or the players sent there badly - I'm just glad we nabbed AD and can start to re-build a roster of relevance around him and LB.

Edited by Leader

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

What aspect of it's not true????? Where the Lakers will be picking, or that late first round picks are less than 50-50 for even getting a role player in the NBA?

The Lakers aren't going to be picking in the late first round for the next 7 years....

• Like 2

I think the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction now, to where 1st round picks are undervalued. There have been many, many good players found in the mid to late 1st round and even some superstars like Kawhi and Giannis. Jimmy Butler. Draymond Green. Hell, the Lakers have a good late pick on their team already in Kuzma. Just because the picks aren't likely to be high doesn't mean that 3 1st rounders still isn't a good haul. Especially if David Griffin trusts his FO's scouting. Obviously the odds that you get the next Jimmy Butler in the 20s are not very good, but you can definitely find some solid players to really bolster up your team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, showtime said:

The Lakers aren't going to be picking in the late first round for the next 7 years....

I am making the assumption that they'll add another marquee free agent. If they are able to add one more big piece, then they absolutely will be. Even without another player, they will likely still be in the early 20s.

Rich "The Clown" Paul ended up getting accomplished exactly what he wanted. Quickly turning into the most powerful man in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I think the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction now, to where 1st round picks are undervalued. There have been many, many good players found in the mid to late 1st round and even some superstars like Kawhi and Giannis. Jimmy Butler. Draymond Green. Hell, the Lakers have a good late pick on their team already in Kuzma. Just because the picks aren't likely to be high doesn't mean that 3 1st rounders still isn't a good haul. Especially if David Griffin trusts his FO's scouting. Obviously the odds that you get the next Jimmy Butler in the 20s are not very good, but you can definitely find some solid players to really bolster up your team.

I think picks get valued just right. The power of unknown tends to make them a bit overvalued but for the most part people rate them properly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I am making the assumption that they'll add another marquee free agent. If they are able to add one more big piece, then they absolutely will be. Even without another player, they will likely still be in the early 20s.

Tough to say.  A report says that Davis is willing to sign long term with the Lakers.  LeBron only have a few years left and he's done.  This could easily be one of those scenarios where the Lakers mortgage their future and have to rebuild.  Similar to what they did when they got Dwight and Nash.  Kobe got older.  They had no first round picks or anything for a long time.  The team proceeded to suck for like the next 8 years.

That might happen again.