Anthony Davis traded to Lakers (Ball/Ingram/Hart/3 1sts)

NYRaider

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Stevens is obviously a good xs and os coach.  I think he needs to learn a lot about handling the personalities of high level players in the league.  

You can't tell me that Irving isn't a weird dude though.  

I don't know how Irving is.  All I know is the man is immensely talented and played all-time great basketball in the NBA Finals with LeBron James.... someone who is notoriously difficult to play with.  The Celtics had an insanely talented player and a very talented young roster and Brad Stevens screwed it all up.  Nobody on that roster was happy all season.  You can listen to Terry Rozier's interview and get that from him.  Stevens completely mis-managed the team and he's getting a massive pass for it because everyone is just blaming Kyrie for everything.

Kyrie Irving didn't control the playing time or set the rotations.  For the first time in Brad Stevens' career he had legit title expectations.  He never had that at Butler when he was a college coach and he never had that on the Celtics, either.  This past season was the first time he's ever felt that and he screwed it up.

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

Brad Stevens is the head coach.  How much of a cancer is he considering he couldn't keep anyone on that roster happy all season?  Or are we going to say that he's a clueless head coach who can't function when there are actual real expectations?

Your pick.

Stevens didn't do a good job managing the egos, big facts. It also shouldn't be a coaches job. Players should have the teams success in mind first and foremost. 

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

Kyrie is a cancer?  That's such a strong statement considering he was able to play with LeBron successfully.  Kyrie had a rough time trying to be the 'leader' because he's not currently that.  Maybe he can evolve into that over time. 

Brad Stevens should shoulder a ton of blame for what happened last season.

I agree and to my knowledge and someone please correct me but I dont believe Kyrie wanted to go to Boston when he wanted out of Cleveland. Now could he have handled the situation better when he got there? Yes. I also think that the young players in Boston played a big role in it too. They got too big headed thinking they have arrived just because they pushed the Cavs to Game 7 of the ECF that they felt like they didnt need Kyrie this past season. Like Kyrie helped the Cavs win their first title and was clutch. None of the players on Boston can say the same. Like its hard to be a leader when nobody is wanting to listen. In Brooklyn it will be totally different because the young players arent going to feel that way about Kyrie. It will help him walk into that lockerroom with a positive vibe understanding none of those players have big heads thinking they have arrived and dont need a superstar talent like Kyrie. Plus lets face it, someone had to be the scapegoat in Boston for their failure and the person who had one foot out of the door the entire season was the one to blame. Not Brad Stevens, not Heyward, not Tatum, not any other young player on the team. I totally agree I look strictly at Brad Stevens and place the blame on him. 

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Stevens didn't do a good job managing the egos, big facts. It also shouldn't be a coaches job. Players should have the teams success in mind first and foremost. 

That is apart of the coach's job.  Your last sentence about how all players should have team success in mind first is not based in reality.  Managing egos and personalities is apart of anyone's job who is in charge.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't know how Irving is.  All I know is the man is immensely talented and played all-time great basketball in the NBA Finals with LeBron James.... someone who is notoriously difficult to play with.  The Celtics had an insanely talented player and a very talented young roster and Brad Stevens screwed it all up.  Nobody on that roster was happy all season.  You can listen to Terry Rozier's interview and get that from him.  Stevens completely mis-managed the team and he's getting a massive pass for it because everyone is just blaming Kyrie for everything.

Kyrie Irving didn't control the playing time or set the rotations.  For the first time in Brad Stevens' career he had legit title expectations.  He never had that at Butler when he was a college coach and he never had that on the Celtics, either.  This past season was the first time he's ever felt that and he screwed it up.

Sorry I don't agree.  Coaches just don't make that much of an impact (in relation to a #1 player on an NBA team).  That was Kyrie's team last year, it fell apart.  Is Brad Stevens completely blameless?  No.  But Kyrie failed as a leader which is why that team fell apart.  

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

That is apart of the coach's job.  Your last sentence about how all players should have team success in mind first is not based in reality.  Managing egos and personalities is apart of anyone's job who is in charge.

Its part of his job, it shouldn't even be close to his priority. Kyrie was a horrible leader, so was Morris, Terry Rozier didn't help either. It was a bad mixture of dudes who all think they should be the go to guy. It blew up big time. I put very little of that blame on Stevens.

55 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Let's just ask some questions.

1. How does LeBron's body handle 56,284 minutes played going into this season?

• He's not just a 35 year old with a ton of wear.
    • He's been doing this in the NBA since age 19, not since 22.
  • He missed 27 games last year and has averaged about 71 games the last 8 years.
  • Lets say he gets some wear but also gets some luck and plays 69 games.
    • Any chance they don't go 2-11 at best in those games?

2. How do they deal with Davis missing 12-16 games as well?

• His 7 year average is 66.5
  • Maybe 67.5 not counting a few of the sit-em games around trade talks.
  • Let's say there is some overlap and they go
    • 10 games without both :  1-9
    • 5 games without Davis:  1-4
    • 3 games without LeBron: 1-2
  • They need to go 45-19 with them just to have a shot at the 7th or 8th seed
    • 50-14 for a solid shot at a top 3 seed

3. How do the Lakers look when Davis and LeBron are resting for 25% of each game (assuming 36 minutes a night)?

• Do you split their rest and both are on a bad 5? Do you just get pounded for 13-16 minutes a night?
    • Toronto won because they had an elite bench
      • Golden State lost because they did not
      • What do you expect the Lakers bench to look like?

4. What does Davis do if either of them get hurt and they have a mediocre or bad year?

• Does he stay with a 1 year older LeBron with 2 declining years left or bolt to New York or anywhere else?

5. What's with all the pretending about 30 million Cap Space?

• This deal happens on July 6th so that number is a delusion.

6. What games has everyone been watching the last 5 years to think this is an elite team now?

• This league is about 3 and D
    • LeBron was not good on D last year (watch the shove video)
    • Davis and LeBron combined for under 3 made 3-pointers per game last season

7. Why would good to great players take less money and pay higher taxes to join this 1 year circus?

• Do you think the 2018-19 Lakers teammates will be telling everyone that playing with LeBron in LA is a joy to behold?
  • The worst case is Davis leaves, LeBron declines, and you are stuck on a multi-year on a lottery team without draft picks.
  • Wouldn't you rather get paid more and pay no state taxes in Dallas (Doncic and Porzingis), Houston (Harden, CP3, and an actual team), or San Antonio?
    • How about deep rising teams like Brooklyn or The Clippers?
    • How about the Sixers, Bucks, Celtics, or Raptors?
    • Why not take less money to go play with Steph, Draymond, and company with Klay back for the playoffs?
    • Why not go play with one of the hottest young teams in the league now? The Pelicans

1. We don't know the roster configuration yet. Impossible to say. We do know LeBron also has an extra 3 months of rest for the first time in nearly a decade though.

2. Nonsense. You don't know how the West shakes up. Right now it's the weakest it has been in years. We don't know where key free agents are at. Don't pretend like we can make any kind of prediction on this yet.

3. LeBron James and AD by themselves make bad lineups passable. That's how.

4. Who knows? None of us are AD. Maybe he hates LA and bolts. I have no clue.

5. This has not been confirmed as a done deal yet. Wait until we know the details.

6. Go check LeBron's defensive stats from last year. When has he ever had a rim protector the level of Davis in his entire career? Both are plenty good shooters for their positions. Surround them with more 3 & D guys and another iso guy if they don't have the max and they are golden.

7. To win a title, the same reason they would for any non-LA contender. Brooklyn won't make noise next year. The Clippers need Kawhi to get to the next level. You have a better chance of winning a title with LeBron/AD than the Sixers (who may lose Butler), the Celtics, and the Raptors (if they lose Kawhi).

Edited by Bullet Club

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

1. We don't know the roster configuration yet. Impossible to say. We do know LeBron also has an extra 3 months of rest for the first time in nearly a decade though.

2. Nonsense. You don't know how the West shakes up. Right now it's the weakest it has been in years. We don't know where key free agents are at. Don't pretend like we can make any kind of prediction on this yet.

3. LeBron James and AD by themselves make bad lineups passable. That's how.

4. Who knows? None of us are AD. Maybe he hates LA and bolts. I have no clue.

5. This has not been confirmed as a done deal yet. Wait until we know the details.

6. Go check LeBron's defensive stats from last year. When has he ever had a rim protector the level of Davis in his entire career? Both are plenty good shooter for their positions. Surround them with more 3 & D guys and they are golden.

7. To win a title, the same reason they would for any non-LA contender. Brooklyn won't make noise next year. The Clippers need Kawhi to get to the next level. You have a better chance of winning a title with LeBron/AD than the Sixers (who may lose Butler), the Celtics, and the Raptors (if they lose Kawhi).

AD isn't a great defender tbh. The upside is there, but he doesn't work that hard on that end. Maybe thatll change in LA.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

AD isn't a great defender tbh. The upside is there, but he doesn't work that hard on that end. Maybe thatll change in LA.

Def rating between 100 and 105 for his whole career. Pretty damn good. 

11 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Not good at that either. Guys shot 63% against him within 6 feet.

Along with what the other dude said:

3x Blocks Leader

3x All D (1x1st)

#15 in the NBA in DRPM

Prior to last year: #7, #61, #6, #6

I'm not concerned.

Edited by Bullet Club

34 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Not great at that either. Guys shot 63% against him within 6 feet.

For some reason, I'm assuming if Anthony Davis got traded to the Celtics you wouldn't be talking about how he's not a great defender.

• Like 1