2019 NHL Draft Thread

flyers0909

I honestly had no idea the draft was already this week, I can pretty up this page later but wanted to get some discussion going.

McKenzie's list (based on scouts opinions, not his own) comes out today at 11:30 EST.

My top 15ish from a Flyers perspective would be:

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Zegras
Cozens
Byram
Boldy
Dach
Caufield
Podkolzin
Newhook
Krebs

After that comes in the defenseman, Broberg, Seider, Soderstrom, York and a couple forwards I wouldn't be upset with at 11 in Brink and Kaliyev.

As a tradition for an Oiler fan, followed the draft. This is a good draft to have a top 15 pick in imo. For the Oilers at 8:

- Avoid Cozens and Podkolzin. Upside isn't there for both and I think people are falling in love with tools rather than ability.

- Kaliyev is going to make a lot of people look silly. Here are the players in the past who have scored 50 goals in their U18 season like Kailyev. Tavares, Stamkos, Skinner and Debrincat. The guy's IQ in the offensive zone is phenomenal and his ability to find soft zones to create offense and make space is great. He can also run a PP so he's not just a shooter. Give him a few years with an emphasis on neutral and defensive zone effort, while continuing his offensive ways and I think you have a 40g 80p winger. I like him more than Caufield.

- Boldy is one of the most intriguing forwards in my opinion. Played wing last season, but a NHL scout said he may be a C in the NHL. His team (with Huges, Turcotte etc.) had too many C's so they had to shift someone to the wing. He's got no holes in his games and is average to above average in most aspects. Reminds me a lot of Blake Wheeler or Voracek. 

- Zegras and Dach are dope. Zegras reminds me a little of Marner coming out. I think he'll be a winger in the NHL, but one of the rare wingers that can drive their own line (think Alex Tanguay). Dach reminds me a little of Getzlaf with less aggression. Zegras has among the best vision in the draft.

38 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

- Zegras and Dach are dope. Zegras reminds me a little of Marner coming out. I think he'll be a winger in the NHL, but one of the rare wingers that can drive their own line (think Alex Tanguay). Dach reminds me a little of Getzlaf with less aggression. Zegras has among the best vision in the draft.

So much this, Marner was my draft crush that year and this year it's Zegras for me.  When we were still in the running for a pick in the 6-8 range he was my realistic pick.

To your other points I have a tough time with Pod, I don't think he has the upside of some other but feel like he's a lock for a good 2 way power forward for like 50ish points as his floor.  His 200ft game is really polished.

Here's McKenzie's top 31.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Cozens
7. Zegras
8. Podkolzin
9. Caufield
10. Krebs
11. Boldy
12. Knight
13. Newhook
14. Söderström
15. Seider
16. Broberg
17. Harley
18. York
19. Lavoie
20. Suzuki
21. Kaliyev
22. Tomasino
23. Heinola
24. Poulin
25. Robertson
26. Brink
27. Björnfot
28. McMichael
29. Vlasic
30. Thomson
31. Pelletier

https://www.tsn.ca/americans-set-to-dominate-first-round-of-the-nhl-draft-1.1323878

54 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

- Kaliyev is going to make a lot of people look silly. Here are the players in the past who have scored 50 goals in their U18 season like Kailyev. Tavares, Stamkos, Skinner and Debrincat. The guy's IQ in the offensive zone is phenomenal and his ability to find soft zones to create offense and make space is great. He can also run a PP so he's not just a shooter. Give him a few years with an emphasis on neutral and defensive zone effort, while continuing his offensive ways and I think you have a 40g 80p winger. I like him more than Caufield.

From McKenzie:

- The biggest draft wild card is Kaliyev, the 6-foot-2 winger who scored 51 goals this season. Next to 72-goal scorer Cole Caufield, Kaliyev is quite likely best goal scorer in the draft. He has underrated playmaking ability, too, not to mention size and strength — but inconsistency of effort has created a polarizing effect among scouts. In the TSN survey of 10 scouts, one had the Kaliyev in the top 10 and another had him outside the top 40. The others had him spread out in between, totaling six votes in the first round and four in the second. No other prospect ranked in the first round has such a wide variance.

1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

Pierre McGuire said a team in the top 10 sent 4 front office personnel to meet with G Spencer Knight this past week. Other rumors have linked LA Kings with Knight. So do you take arguably the best goalie prospect since Price in the top 10? Especially with how goalies bust.

Do I? Definitely not. But in the limited viewing I have seen of Kochetkov , I was pretty impressed. So I've been on that train and I'll happily take my chance drafting him in round 3/4, let him get seasoned overseas and see if there is anything there down the line. 

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

I can't see images at work so I'm assuming that's a picture of the Devils taking Podkolzin at #1?

Correct  lol. 

I'm seriously wondering if he's not there at 34 for the Devils to take lol. Seriously, his stock has cratered. I know that a lot of mocks still have him going in that 12-15 range, but would anyone be super shocked if he's not a first round pick?