2019 NHL Draft Thread

flyers0909

13 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I’m very happy with the Oilers’ draft. Slight reach with Broberg at 8, but we more than made up for it with Lavoie at 38, who was listed as high as 11th overall in a number of mock drafts.

I would disagree that Broberg was a reach. He immediately slots in as a 1B prospect behind Bouchard. The media scouts knock his vision however that’s generally the last piece to develop with a young Defenceman. His size and skating ability combined with his passing put him solidly on an elite development path. FWIW Button had him ranked at 7.

The Oil we’re flat out lucky to get Lavoie. He’s a really well developed player already and plays an effective possession game. 

The Oilers had a really good draft. Gretzky simply does a great job with evaluation of prospects. 

Depth on defence is going to be a team strength as these kids develop. No doubt some of them will be traded but they should all generate a good return.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

I would disagree that Broberg was a reach. He immediately slots in as a 1B prospect behind Bouchard. The media scouts knock his vision however that’s generally the last piece to develop with a young Defenceman. His size and skating ability combined with his passing put him solidly on an elite development path. FWIW Button had him ranked at 7.

The Oil we’re flat out lucky to get Lavoie. He’s a really well developed player already and plays an effective possession game. 

The Oilers had a really good draft. Gretzky simply does a great job with evaluation of prospects. 

Depth on defence is going to be a team strength as these kids develop. No doubt some of them will be traded but they should all generate a good return.

I appreciate the feedback. I was very happy with the Broberg selection and love that we’re making a legitimate attempt to create a minor league pipeline system for defensemen and goalies. I’ve been screaming for a decade that the Oilers have needed quality blue liners and goalies, so focusing on those areas makes me very happy.

And I agree, Lavoie was a stroke of luck. When a (mock draft) consensus top 20 pick falls to the late 30s, you snag him.

• Like 1

Homer alert but Case McCarthy is going to be the steal of this draft. Kid is going to be a top tier enforcer when he hits his ceiling. Same for Daniil Misyul. That kid is a god damn beast in front of his net. 

Devils friggin killed it this weekend. I'm beyond pumped. 

Edited by beekay414