Most Impactful Cowboys Ever?

flyingmonkey30

So the Athletic is doing a DFW series going through all the sports teams in the metroplex and listing off their 19 most impactful players for each team. I'll link to the article, but it's behind a paywall so I don't want to post their list in here. However, it got me thinking, how would you rank the top 19 most impactful Cowboys ever? I think the word "impactful" makes this an interesting discussion, as it's not necessarily the best 19 players in history.

Link: https://theathletic.com/1029274/2019/06/17/19-in-19-the-most-impactful-dallas-cowboys-in-franchise-history/

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont know about 19 players, but Staubach has to be #1. 

Wrong. E. Smith is # 1.

I don't understand how nobody gets that without him they couldn't win.

Not a championship. They simply couldn't win a freakin game!

1992 Cowboys 52, Bills 17.

1993, no Smith weeks 1 and 2, record: 0 and 2. 

Smith comes back, they win 7 straight en route to SB victory #2 during that era.

Don't give me this, "he had a great team" or "best line in football" ****.

They couldn't win with another RB after coming off a 52 to 17 snack down.

Nuff said.

Honestly, it has to be Tom Landry. The Flex Defense was well ahead of it's time. The 4-3 defense was his brain child. He was one of the first to implement the shotgun as part of the offense and he was the first to use computers as part of game planning.  His influence goes well beyond the Dallas Cowboys.

tbh, I think you could pretty easily make a case that the top most influential Cowboys aren't even players....Tom Landry, Tex Shramm, Gil Brandt, and Jerry Jones. 

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Wrong. E. Smith is # 1.

Smith comes back, they win 7 straight en route to SB victory #2 during that era.

Nuff said.

You are using a 2 game sample size. 

Nuff said.

52 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Honestly, it has to be Tom Landry. The Flex Defense was well ahead of it's time. The 4-3 defense was his brain child. He was one of the first to implement the shotgun as part of the offense and he was the first to use computers as part of game planning.  His influence goes well beyond the Dallas Cowboys.

tbh, I think you could pretty easily make a case that the top most influential Cowboys aren't even players....Tom Landry, Tex Shramm, Gil Brandt, and Jerry Jones. 

He said players, or else I would agree.

25 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He said players, or else I would agree.

12 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

So the Athletic is doing a DFW series going through all the sports teams in the metroplex and listing off their 19 most impactful players for each team. I'll link to the article, but it's behind a paywall so I don't want to post their list in here. However, it got me thinking, how would you rank the top 19 most impactful Cowboys ever? I think the word "impactful" makes this an interesting discussion, as it's not necessarily the best 19 players in history.

Link: https://theathletic.com/1029274/2019/06/17/19-in-19-the-most-impactful-dallas-cowboys-in-franchise-history/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Wrong. E. Smith is # 1.

Nuff said.

Staubach is the most impactful player in Cowboys’ history. Emmitt is arguably #2, but Roger will always hold the top spot. 

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

In that case, you could make a case for Jerry being in the top 3. Good and bad, his impact is absolutely felt. 

Well now are we talking about a figure or player?

If it is a figure (non player- coach, owner etc) then I would have to argue Landry or even Jimmy Johnson.

One is iconic and the fedora is synonymous with the Cowboys.

The other, we all know, is why they win those titles in the 90s.

6 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Staubach is the most impactful player in Cowboys’ history. Emmitt is arguably #2, but Roger will always hold the top spot. 

I could see that, but I don't understand why. Blind faith to tradition I guess.

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

You are using a 2 game sample size. 

Nuff said.

Well, he didn't miss that many games. But when he was off the field, it was obvious they couldn't do a Damn thing.

The example was more than 2 games. I mentioned they won 7 straight en route to a 2nd straight SB, to add,  he also won MVP, and the rushing title in only 14 games.

You really should pay more attention to what was written before you try to make a counter argument with a smart *** reply.

Makes you look foolish. That's free advice.