Jump to content
flyingmonkey30

Most Impactful Cowboys Ever?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Well now are we talking about a figure or player?

If it is a figure (non player- coach, owner etc) then I would have to argue Landry or even Jimmy Johnson.

One is iconic and the fedora is synonymous with the Cowboys.

The other, we all know, is why they win those titles in the 90s.

Wait. Was it Jimmy or Emmitt? Because now you are kinda flip flopping. 

4 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Well, he didn't miss that many games. But when he was off the field, it was obvious they couldn't do a Damn thing.

The example was more than 2 games. I mentioned they won 7 straight en route to a 2nd straight SB, to add,  he also won MVP, and the rushing title in only 14 games.

You really should pay more attention to what was written before you try to make a counter argument with a smart *** reply.

Makes you look foolish. That's free advice.

The 2 losses are the entire point of building up the previous success. 2 losses at the start of the season, which is normally when the season is most chaotic. The Pats often lose early only to improve throughout the season. 

I know what you said, I read your post. You parroted the same thing that others have. And my smartarse comment is the same: a 2 game slip doesnt prove anything. Pretending that it does is foolish. Free advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Wait. Was it Jimmy or Emmitt? Because now you are kinda flip flopping. 

The 2 losses are the entire point of building up the previous success. 2 losses at the start of the season, which is normally when the season is most chaotic. The Pats often lose early only to improve throughout the season. 

I know what you said, I read your post. You parroted the same thing that others have. And my smartarse comment is the same: a 2 game slip doesnt prove anything. Pretending that it does is foolish. Free advice. 

Lol, you're just too much fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hershel Walker .....

but seriously I vote Roger the dodger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to pick just one but in no particular order:

Roger Staubach - Captain comeback.  Captain America.  Supreme leader and competitor.  Still the standard by which Cowboy QB's are measured.

Bob Lilly - Mr. Cowboy.  Enough said.

Larry Allen - pretty good production for the 38th pick in the draft.  Who are we kidding probably the best guard of all time.  Certainly in the conversation.

Herschel Walker - great athlete but his trade paved the way for the 90's dynasty.  That's a huge impact in an indirect way.

Emmitt Smith - we know what happened when he did not play.  

Charles Haley - his acquisition put the 90's club over the top.  I don't know if we win without him.

Michael Irvin - the emotional heart or engine of the 90's dynasty.  Hands up anyone who was going to outwork Irvin in practice.

Troy Aikman - Great QB.  Great leader.   Could've had monster stats in a pass first QB focused offense .  He was at his best in the biggest games.

Randy White - was looking like a bust as we tried to make him a LB.  Put him at DT and the manster was born.  One of the dominant DL/DT of his era.  Never took a down off.

If this extends beyond players I have to include Landry and Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, quiller said:

Hershel Walker .....

but seriously I vote Roger the dodger

Herschel Walker was my favorite football player as a kid. I have his Georgia, NJ Generals, and Cowboys jerseys signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never saw much pre 87-88 so I go with emmitt 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Northland said:

It's hard to pick just one but in no particular order:

Roger Staubach - Captain comeback.  Captain America.  Supreme leader and competitor.  Still the standard by which Cowboy QB's are measured.

Bob Lilly - Mr. Cowboy.  Enough said.

Larry Allen - pretty good production for the 38th pick in the draft.  Who are we kidding probably the best guard of all time.  Certainly in the conversation.

Herschel Walker - great athlete but his trade paved the way for the 90's dynasty.  That's a huge impact in an indirect way.

Emmitt Smith - we know what happened when he did not play.  

Charles Haley - his acquisition put the 90's club over the top.  I don't know if we win without him.

Michael Irvin - the emotional heart or engine of the 90's dynasty.  Hands up anyone who was going to outwork Irvin in practice.

Troy Aikman - Great QB.  Great leader.   Could've had monster stats in a pass first QB focused offense .  He was at his best in the biggest games.

Randy White - was looking like a bust as we tried to make him a LB.  Put him at DT and the manster was born.  One of the dominant DL/DT of his era.  Never took a down off.

If this extends beyond players I have to include Landry and Johnson.

Wait....are you suggesting that the running game....MATTERS?!?

@Northland, have you been drinking a little too much Molson, or did you forget to visit your local Tim Horton’s for donuts and coffee? Because, saying the running game matters is just crazy talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Wait....are you suggesting that the running game....MATTERS?!?

@Northland, have you been drinking a little too much Molson, or did you forget to visit your local Tim Horton’s for donuts and coffee? Because, saying the running game matters is just crazy talk.

I love how everyone likes to take a 2 game sample size like that proves something over a 25 year, 1000's of game sample size. Ever heard the phrase "exception to the rule"? Using anecdotal evidence against something that allows a 20% margin of error is ridiculous. 

Additionally, you are still not grasping the point. You CAN run a ton, but it has little impact on winning. To win you need to have a highly efficient passing game. So a viable strategy can be a 60/40 run to pass ratio, but those 40% passes are much more influential on your chance of winning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know many people will say Roger Staubach or Bob Lily, but for me Michael Irvin is the most impactful Cowboy ever. Him, Emmitt and Deion are some of the reasons why I became a fan of the Dallas Cowboys. 

When Irvin went down in Philly, that was the end of the Cowboys as we knew them.

Edited by Tony7188

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ware94 said:

GORY, GORY......

Is it possible to LOVE a post multiple times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 8:57 PM, plan9misfit said:

Is it possible to LOVE a post multiple times?

I love that everyone still remembers all these years later....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, the most impactful player in Cowboys history was Herschel Walker.  He was a great running back when he played in Dallas, but his impact was felt the most by the trade that brought the franchise three Super Bowls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

IMO, the most impactful player in Cowboys history was Herschel Walker.  He was a great running back when he played in Dallas, but his impact was felt the most by the trade that brought the franchise three Super Bowls. 

Have you ever gone back and looked at the players we actually got from the Walker trade? The groups isnt as good as people make it out to be. It absolutely helped, but people act like thats what brought us the triplets, our OL or key defensive players. It really wasnt. A lot of depth/rotation guys and a few starters. 

Edited by Matts4313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Have you ever gone back and looked at the players we actually got from the Walker trade? The groups isnt as good as people make it out to be. It absolutely helped, but people act like thats what brought us the triplets, our OL or key defensive players. It really wasnt. A lot of depth/rotation guys and a few starters. 

18 total picks and players were eventually received by Dallas. Players include Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, and Kevin Smith.

 

Plus some rotational players. Troy and Irvin were already here.

 

Probably don’t when SBs without Emmitt though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×