Most Impactful Cowboys Ever?

flyingmonkey30

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

18 total picks and players were eventually received by Dallas. Players include Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, Russell Maryland, and Kevin Smith.

Plus some rotational players. Troy and Irvin were already here.

Probably don’t when SBs without Emmitt though. 

I dont remember Emmitt being part of the trade. I thought we traded up to get him, but maybe we used the picks from Minny. 

That said, we would of had Walker instead of Emmitt - just something to keep in mind. 

hmm. Guess so. We gave up the #1 overall that draft for the back up QB. We used the minny picks for Emmitt. 

I wonder if we would have still targeted him from pick 26 instead of pick 21. Probably would have, but it would have cost more. 

Edited by Matts4313

On 6/20/2019 at 8:44 AM, Matts4313 said:

I love how everyone likes to take a 2 game sample size like that proves something over a 25 year, 1000's of game sample size. Ever heard the phrase "exception to the rule"? Using anecdotal evidence against something that allows a 20% margin of error is ridiculous. 

Additionally, you are still not grasping the point. You CAN run a ton, but it has little impact on winning. To win you need to have a highly efficient passing game. So a viable strategy can be a 60/40 run to pass ratio, but those 40% passes are much more influential on your chance of winning. 

Matts, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that's cool. Also, after reading this post I have to say, you have set up your argument brilliantly. It is difficult to debunk it without years of evidence to support the argument that the run DOES matter more than you advocate.

But with that said, I am going to add another example of where the run literally saved this teams season. It happens to be the same year I posted about earlier, Emmitt's hold out year.

Here are the stats for SB 28. We were losing at the half 13-6. The second half was the E. Smith show. Granted our defense came up huge, but our offense had 1 gear that second half and it was the running game.

Passing was a mere 204 yards with 0 TD's and 1 Int.

Rushing was 137 yards with 2 TD's and 0 fumbles.

So, after looking at these stats, are you going to fall back on the "exception to the rule" campaign or the "that's 1 game" or my personal favorite, "we had the best O line?" That one gets me to the core because if they were so fricking awesome, how come we couldn't win with any other RB??? But that's another argument. This one is focusing on the importance running the ball has on winning games.

With that said, if not for Smith, we go nowhere all season, as we started 0-2 without him, and then won 7 straight upon his return, but we certainly don't repeat as SB champs.

http://www.sportspool.com/football/super_bowl/Superbowl_XXVIII_ts.php