Sammie Coates traded to Browns

trbst11

1 hour ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

I'm more surprised they traded within the division. It's unfortunate because he most likely wouldn't have been their selection in the third round if Bryant had his head on straight.

They must not see him as much of a threat.   Coates struck me as a guy in the mold of Mendenhall or Baron Batch, good guy, talented, but didn't have his heart and head 100% in football.  Could be wrong, that's just my gut feeling about it.  

I think Coates had more upside than DHB at this point. Their hands were equally inconsistent. Both could play gunner on punts. DHB was a good locker room guy and had the team character you like. Coates could return Kick Off's. By cutting Niles, Ayers and Fitz, there is not really anyone to return KO's and punts for that matter as well. They pretty much wash, but I keep youth most cases here, but as someone said, no one would have given a draft choice for DHB. Scary thing is Coates was traded for slightly worse than we got for Santonio Holmes (5th from the Jets). Anyways, we are basically fighting over the chance to go home with the ugly girl at 3:30 am. O.o

18 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Are his broken fingers healed?? Or is he still struggling with drops....

His fingers are more than healed. These are fingers not knees, hips, or a back. He has poor hands. Coates even stated that he lost his confidence. Most bone breaks take four to eight weeks to heal. He is a young man and an athlete as well. no doubt the fingers caused some problems, but that later became more of an excuse to me. My advice for Coates would have been spending some time with a guy like Chris Carter. Incredible work ethic and hands.

15 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

His fingers are more than healed. These are fingers not knees, hips, or a back. He has poor hands. Coates even stated that he lost his confidence. Most bone breaks take four to eight weeks to heal. He is a young man and an athlete as well. no doubt the fingers caused some problems, but that later became more of an excuse to me. My advice for Coates would have been spending some time with a guy like Chris Carter. Incredible work ethic and hands.

I mean, I get they're "just fingers" but fingers would seem like a fairly important component of catching a football, no? Especially 2 fingers on one hand?

He's had inconsistent hands before the drop, but to say a couple broken fingers isn't a viable excuse for drops seems a bit irrational.

Overall I think it's a good deal for both team.  You guys recouped the pick for a player you likely would have cut and we upgrade our 4th/5th receiver spot and special teams.

Slightly confused by this trade in terms of the roster. I feel like if you ask the question "What do you offer the team" the answer for DHB and Hunter is who Sammie Coates is. 

A Special teamer (DHB) and a reserve deep threat (Hunter).

I would imagine you could have kept Coates, cut the other two, had an extra roster spot for someone on the fringe and really never lost anything. 

I know DHB is one of the best ST guys on the team -- but is the drop off to Coates that noticeable where we couldnt have kept the younger guy who showed offensive promise until his injury? I guess the theory is that Hunter will be better with a real QB, but he just really doesnt excite me and because of the receivers in front of him, I wouldnt be surprised if he often doesnt have a helmet on Sundays. 

I get keeping DHB, but was surprised they kept him AND Hunter and cut Coates. Personally, I would have much rather kept Coates and Ayers and gotten the ST/Deep threat and a guy with some future promise.

All in all - I am not that concerned with it, just surprised. More concerned with losing Ayers. I thought after the Edleman injury you could see the Ayers to Patriots coming from a mile away if he was cut...

They could not get anything in a trade for DHB.  They got something for Coates.  Allen has been the 3rd best gunner on ST so not much lost there.

And Ayers is on their practice squad.  One injury to a Pitt WR and the Steelers could just sign him.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

They could not get anything in a trade for DHB.  They got something for Coates.  Allen has been the 3rd best gunner on ST so not much lost there.

I mean, but what did we really get? The value of the 6th while losing a 3rd round pick from a few years ago, last years 6th and next years 7th really worth DHB and Hunter? Especially when Coates could realistically have filled both skill sets in one player? To me, that value to the roster and the additional roster space is more valuable than a pick that's ultimately not that valuable in a device that's completely a crap shoot. 

If this is the move that had to be made in order to make the move of getting Wilcox, then I am for it. But I really just dont get Hunter and DHB taking two rosters spots that could be filled with one player and that causes the loss of another guy like Ayers. The value doesnt add up to me, but maybe I value Ayers more than I should or maybe that I have no faith that Hunter is anymore than the guy we have seen in the league for 3 years already -- regardless of his QB. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

And Ayers is on their practice squad.  One injury to a Pitt WR and the Steelers could just sign him.

The same can be said for an injury to 31 other teams. There is no guarantee that he will ever be an available asset to us again. Maybe that was never the plan for him to be available to us again. I dont know, but I think we lost more value than we gained from the move (again, unless the ultimate goal was to get Wilcox and they were not two entirely separate transactions). 

Ayers has proven absolutely nothing.     Not sure why people get on his jock like he has shown anything.   His chances of making this team were next to none to begin with.   Brown, Bryant, Rogers and Juju were striaght locks from the get go.    Ayers is on the same level as the rest fighting for that last spot and has very arguably shown the least.     If people like him, thats fine, but lets not act like he in any way earned a roster spot.   He is on a practice squad....and thats exactly where he belongs.  And there are a number of better talents than Ayers on practice squads around the league..

I wouldve kept Coates over Hunter,  but they were both deep depth deep threats.     I feel like Coates had more upside at this point, but outside of a nice 5 or 6 weeks last year, its not like he had proven he was a great weapon.  I wanted to see him get another chance with a healed hand, but with Bryant back, his opportunities were going to be limited, and Hunter clearly looked better in the preseason.   I STILL wouldve kept Coates over Hunter, but I seriously doubt this is a trade that will come back to haunt us or anything.     I do think Coates could definitely help the Browns, but only because their WR corps is a joke outside of Corey Coleman.    We are stacked at WR, and he wouldve been the 5th WR, at best, and I think they wanted to get someone there with more dependable hands.

And I definitely wouldve kept Coates over DHB....but they like DHB as a soecial teamer and locker room guy.   As much as I hate it, they value those two things tremendously, even if its a player that wouldnt be hard to replace like DHB.   

The 6th that turned into Wilcox.

Ayers did not beat out Rogers.  So he would be kept on as a KR only.  Coates, DHB and Hunter are about the same WR.  You do not know if they shopped all three until they got a taker for one.  All three of them were not going to make the team.  Sometimes it is a numbers game.  And I trust Mann to make good decisions on the WR.

Why the love for Coates?  The guy had bad hands. DHB has about the same hands. Fans fall in love with practice squad players all the time.  Does not mean they will make it in the NFL.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I get they're "just fingers" but fingers would seem like a fairly important component of catching a football, no? Especially 2 fingers on one hand?

He's had inconsistent hands before the drop, but to say a couple broken fingers isn't a viable excuse for drops seems a bit irrational.

Overall I think it's a good deal for both team.  You guys recouped the pick for a player you likely would have cut and we upgrade our 4th/5th receiver spot and special teams.

I am by no means disputing the importance of fingers and catching the ball. Good receivers catch the ball with their hands & fingers. My issue is that the injury lingered for what seemed like an awful lot of time (the rest of the season essentially).  Unless his fingers were broken by "Rocco the Leg Breaker" in two or three places and he required pins and screws, I get it. That was not the case. He taped his fingers, played special teams and "supposedly" caught passes during practice. If he were that bad, they would have put him on IR. I just am not buying the fingers never healed. I certainly wasn't there to examine x-rays or gauge his healing weekly, but that is my opinion.

Again, I wasn't saying the broken fingers didn't play a factor whether it be physically or mentally for Coates. Why carry a WR who can't catch for 12 weeks and the play-offs? They believed in Coates and thought that he was healed sufficiently to make plays.  I believe the fingers not only should have been healed sufficiently after four - eight weeks, but they were healed.  He had no off season surgery on the fingers or lingering effects according to many reports.  Coates had hamstring or leg issues.  His problems persisted well into the AFC Championship Game against New England. Again, if you have a WR who cannot catch the ball, don't put him on the field. It seems more irrational to put a WR who has injured fingers or a hand on the field to try to catch passes.  All of the reports were saying that the fingers were either healed or healing sufficiently enough to play. Eliminate the excuse and just play Ayers at WR until he is healthy.  Speaking of irrational, I am forgetting that I am talking to a Browns fan. :D

All jokes aside you are correct, that both sides made out. The pick we got back went to get Wilcox. Personally, I would have preferred to keep Coates over DHB because he is younger and has more upside. No one would have traded for DHB though. Coates is a physical, athletic and big WR who can cover kicks and get deep quickly.  He is a high character young man. I wish him the best every week except when we play against him. Thanks for the input.

Didnt Coates have injuries to both hands?     I swore he had broken fingers on one hand and tore the webbing between his fingers on the other?   Maybe Im wrong and Im about to leave if someone wants to fact check that.

Regardless, Coates hands were definitely aggravating, even when he was playing at his best.    I still think he couldve been an asset here, but he isnt some irreplaceable loss.  

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Didnt Coates have injuries to both hands?     I swore he had broken fingers on one hand and tore the webbing between his fingers on the other?   Maybe Im wrong and Im about to leave if someone wants to fact check that.

Regardless, Coates hands were definitely aggravating, even when he was playing at his best.    I still think he couldve been an asset here, but he isnt some irreplaceable loss.  

Yes injuries to both hands that they made him not only play through but play special teams through. 

Its why why I get annoyed at the "shouldn't have been that long" stuff. 

Archived