Bears Worst Offseason in NFL?

dll2000

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

The most obvious omission is to say that you had a bad offseason because you didn't have any draft picks.  If I remember correctly, those draft picks weren't just lost in the ether.  They were used last year on a player who will still contribute this season, and it's about as safe an assumption as anyone can make that his contribution will be as big or bigger than any rookies you would have taken with this year's picks.

No they were not lost.

We sent the #24 overall pick this year and some spare change picks we could afford for an OLB who was and would be a solid top five pick in any draft whose in his prime and quite possibly headed for a HOF career.  Next years #1 is being offset by the Raiders #2 pick which may only be 10-12 spots later.

We used a #2 in 2018 on Miller who looks like a real find at WR.  The kid gets open in the red zone and scores.  Like Mack we got him a year early yet still had the ammo to draft Montgomery and Ridley who'll also contribute in 2019 and maybe far more than their 3rd and 4th round draft status would suggest.

So this offseason was more like Mack round one, Miller round two, Montgomery round three, and Ridley round four.   I'll take that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soulman said:

So this offseason was more like Mack round one, Miller round two, Montgomery round three, and Ridley round four.   I'll take that.

A reasonable way of looking at it. Plus, the way things were shifted and juggled, the team contends NOW. Pretty clever, really. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

A reasonable way of looking at it. Plus, the way things were shifted and juggled, the team contends NOW. Pretty clever, really. 

Contends now PLUS they are giving the absolute best environment to Tru to see if he is the future of the Bears for the next 10 years. The Bears can play aggressive without forcing him to throw 38 times a game and shoulder the entire offense. Things like that for a young QB can make it hell as the defenses know you're passing 70% of the time and will sell out to beat the crap out of him Pace and Nagy are going to get a few years to decide if he is worth the mega-deal he will command after his 5th year option.

Of course I have faith he is the cornerstone, but even the guys who drafted him have to be objective and watch and wait.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...