Early Returns on the Rookie Class

WindyCity

Listening to the Hoge and Jahns podcast this week and they have Kevin Fishbain on, and all 3 were effusive in their praise for the early returns on the rookie class.

Montgomery, all 3 agreed that he flashes like Tarik Cohen did a couple of years ago and that some of the moves and cuts that he has made, without pads, have had everyone jumping up. Hoge mentions one swing pass to him where he juked a DB to the ground without him getting a hand on Montgomery. They all agreed based on what they have seen that he is going to be a player and that he looks faster than he times.

Ridley, all 3 again said that Ridley flashes every practice and has been running with the 1s a lot with Miller out and that he is even playing the zebra position which Nagy says is the most difficult to learn. Again all 3 commented about how he looks faster than he timed and that he does not look out of place running with the 1s. 

Shelley, they all were impressed with Shelley who has made a number of plays on the ball and looks like a player. Hoge speculated that at some point in training camp they would have to write the story that Shelley was coming after Skrine's job and that he may be the starting NB before the end of the season.

Nice to hear that a big portion of the draft class is looking like they belong.

If Ryan Pace has a good draft with only 5 picks and none in rounds 1-2 that would be something.

• Like 4

Not really a 2019 but nearly one based on how little he played in 2018 so I thought I might add this.  Wims is impressing enough to play with other #1s.  His ascension would be big for us in another year when we have a decision to make on ARob.

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2F2.gravatar.com%2Fa

Javon Wims worked with starters during Bears offseason practices

by Lorin Cox

Anthony Miller and Riley Ridley have received all the attention this offseason as potential breakout receivers in the Chicago Bears offense, but don't forget about Ryan Pace's other second-year wide out coming back into the fold.

Last year's seventh-round pick Javon Wims spent most of the offseason working with the starters on offense, according to The Athletic.

"That’s big, not only for the coaches to see that I’m capable of doing that, [but] for myself," Wims said. "I’m just earning that trust. [Mitchell Trubisky] being able to throw me the ball is huge."

The Georgia product has had more time to work with the starting quarterback because Miller sat out to recover from offseason shoulder surgery.

But Wims started to crack the rotation even at the end of last season, and he's carried that through OTAs and minicamp.

"This game is about opportunities, and he’s got a great opportunity in front of him," Nagy said. "Javon is a guy who knows all of our positions. He’s smart. He’s got great hands, and you saw last year at the end of that Minnesota Vikings game, he made some big catches."

All four of his catches last season came in that Week 17 game in Minnesota, two of which moved the chains on third down in the fourth quarter.

His depth chart battle is far from won on a roster deep at the position, but Wims has done everything he can this offseason to help his chances to stick on the 53-man roster in his second season.

• Like 1

Can you imagine having the "problem" of deciding to keep Robinson or replace him with a rookie?  The Adam's are generally pretty cautious on evaluating rookies without pads, but they sounded like they'd seen something good on the field from all three.  I'm skeptical about Shelley just based on size-imagine a team just sending some beefcake tight end after him-but if he can play once the hitting starts that would be amazing. I really trust Pace's evaluations at this point.  Really looking forward to everyone forgetting about his trade-ups soon;  Tru, Miller, Montgomery. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Too bad they had the worst off-season of anybody, amirite? :D

LOLOL    If we even get to the Super Bowl let alone win it if were John Fox I simply pack up my **** and go into hiding forever.

The old coot should be off fishing with his grandkids instead of shooting off his mouth on ESPN.

Edited by soulman

12 hours ago, soulman said:

"This game is about opportunities, and he’s got a great opportunity in front of him," Nagy said. "Javon is a guy who knows all of our positions. He’s smart. He’s got great hands, and you saw last year at the end of that Minnesota Vikings game, he made some big catches."

This is what should win him a spot.  Even though they weren't top WR Josh Bellamy and Earl Bennett before him stuck around as receivers because they could handle all three WR positions.  Every team needs at least one guy like that who can start or backup wherever needed.

I gotta admit that based on what we saw during the 2018 preseason and in the Minny game I'm very high on Wims.  Much like Ridley and coming out of Georgia as well both may have been overlooked a bit because their college numbers don't jump off the page at you.

I don't mean to imply I believe Wims is a good as ARob or ever will be but with a $15 mil cap hit ARob is and will continue to be one of our most costly players so affordability even as early as 2020 could be a factor which is also when his current contract ends.

If Wims and Ridley progress and ARob has a better year in 2019 can anyone see a possibility Pace may trade him prior to the 2020 season as opposed to working on an extension for him?  I'd hate to lose him but if he's unaffordable after 2020 it makes some sense.

Edited by soulman

On 6/18/2019 at 10:38 AM, soulman said:

Not really a 2019 but nearly one based on how little he played in 2018 so I thought I might add this.  Wims is impressing enough to play with other #1s.  His ascension would be big for us in another year when we have a decision to make on ARob.

mail?url=http%3A%2F%2F2.gravatar.com%2Fa

Javon Wims worked with starters during Bears offseason practices

by Lorin Cox

Anthony Miller and Riley Ridley have received all the attention this offseason as potential breakout receivers in the Chicago Bears offense, but don't forget about Ryan Pace's other second-year wide out coming back into the fold.

Last year's seventh-round pick Javon Wims spent most of the offseason working with the starters on offense, according to The Athletic.

"That’s big, not only for the coaches to see that I’m capable of doing that, [but] for myself," Wims said. "I’m just earning that trust. [Mitchell Trubisky] being able to throw me the ball is huge."

The Georgia product has had more time to work with the starting quarterback because Miller sat out to recover from offseason shoulder surgery.

But Wims started to crack the rotation even at the end of last season, and he's carried that through OTAs and minicamp.

All four of his catches last season came in that Week 17 game in Minnesota, two of which moved the chains on third down in the fourth quarter.

His depth chart battle is far from won on a roster deep at the position, but Wims has done everything he can this offseason to help his chances to stick on the 53-man roster in his second season.

Go back and watch pre season game highlights for Javon Wims and one regular season game he got to play a lot versus Minnesota.

This guy has never had a bad game in NFL.  He has made plays at every opportunity given.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Go back and watch pre season game highlights for Javon Wims and one regular season game he got to play a lot versus Minnesota.

This guy has never had a bad game in NFL.  He has made plays at every opportunity given.

Agreed.  He was our leading receiver in the 2018 preseason and at least to me has always looked far more NFL ready than you'd expect any 7th round pick to ever be.

The WR room is jammed with talent which is nothing but good as far as competition and depth goes.  Wims and Ridley may both have been significantly underrated as college WRs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Based on what?

IMHO he showed a lot last preseason and he made some crucial first down catches against a very good defense in the second Minny game.

That's actually more evidence to go on than we have on Ridley so far even though he's been receiving glowing reports during the OTAs.

I also think with Wims it's one of those "he passes they eye ball test" deals.  When you watch game vids on him you can see his ability to get open, his body control, and his hands.  Then we also have Nagy whose also been very complimentary of him and noted that even in year two he's learned all three WR positions and that's a biggie especially when coupled with his size (6'4"/215lbs).

It's tough for me to believe we'll get through camp and preseason without some attrition due to injuries but even without that I believe he'll make the roster.