2018 Draft Prospects

warfelg

41 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Could not make the tight throws or had no confidence to do it.

Rudolph and Darnold are the top two.  Darnold reminds me a lot of Big Ben.

My honest assessment on the three:

Jackson does not trust his arm enough. IE does not make throws he should, waits for big windows.

Darnold trusts his arm too much. IE makes throws he should not, throws into windows that are pin holes

Rudolph is hard to get a grasp on.  Like Mahomes from last year, Lynch the year before, he plays in a system that get's him too many clean looks and too many clean pockets.  Those systems are about throwing a ball to a spot and the WR adjusts rather than the WR going to a spot at the QB adjusting.  It's why so many spread option gun offense QB's struggle to adopt to the NFL.

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/19/mason-rudolph-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Good article on Rudolph and shows how people get overhype's on stats and scouts are looking at almost everything but. 

I wasn't looking at stats.  In that one particular game, I saw everything I want out of a QB.  Accuracy, moving in pocket, timing, size, and his arm strength was good enough contrary to that article.  You could definitely tell that Darnold has a lot more zip on his passes, but I thought Rudolph's arm looked fine.  His accuracy and timing wasn't off in that game either.  

On a sidenote, that USC-Texas game went double OT?  I recorded and watched part of it and it was ugly.  Texas couldn't do anything, so I quit watching.  I hope I didn't delete it lol.  

• 2 weeks later...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/edit?usp=sharing

My 2018 NFL Draft Database. 

Over 1,000 players. Player name links to college player page. Height/Weight links to NFLDraftScout prospect page. Report links to my Word Document background and eventual evaluation. 

If you have questions/additions/suggestions/etc PM me.

Thanks!

On 9/19/2017 at 12:19 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

I wasn't looking at stats.  In that one particular game, I saw everything I want out of a QB.  Accuracy, moving in pocket, timing, size, and his arm strength was good enough contrary to that article.  You could definitely tell that Darnold has a lot more zip on his passes, but I thought Rudolph's arm looked fine.  His accuracy and timing wasn't off in that game either.  

On a sidenote, that USC-Texas game went double OT?  I recorded and watched part of it and it was ugly.  Texas couldn't do anything, so I quit watching.  I hope I didn't delete it lol.  

You have to watch his whole body of work.   Not saying I have....but Ive seen games where I question how good of a pro he can/will be.

Dont get me wrong, I do like him....but I dont know if I see the guy I want to eventually take over for Ben.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You have to watch his whole body of work.   Not saying I have....but Ive seen games where I question how good of a pro he can/will be.

Dont get me wrong, I do like him....but I dont know if I see the guy I want to eventually take over for Ben.

I've been watching him more, but I tell you what.  I'm seeing more and more I don't like.  I'm going to say the same things about him that I said about Paxton Lynch.  Rudolph's arm is a little overrated, his footwork when it's not a plant and throw is a mess, he's a spot thrower that the WR needs to adjust to as opposed to throwing into tight windows and having to throw WR's open.

I question things like how well he's going to be able to read defense (because of the style offense he plays in), deep throw ability, pocket awareness, ability to throw from a hash to the far sideline.

13 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Well of course, but I'm not going to do that.  So all you can really do besides look at stats is to look at what you have seen.  I've watched quite a bit of Rudolph this year, and I think he looks pretty good.  I'm not expecting another QB the caliber of Ben again.  I'm just looking for someone that would be decent, and available.  By decent, I mean someone I can live with as my starting QB.  

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Well of course, but I'm not going to do that.  So all you can really do besides look at stats is to look at what you have seen.  I've watched quite a bit of Rudolph this year, and I think he looks pretty good.  I'm not expecting another QB the caliber of Ben again.  I'm just looking for someone that would be decent, and available.  By decent, I mean someone I can live with as my starting QB.  

Well, we all have our own opinions when it comes to prospects, and there doesnt seem to be a huge gap in our opinions of him, so Im not going to get into a big debate about it.

Im just saying that Ive seen games where Ive really liked him and some that really worry me.   If we got him in say, the 3rd round, I wouldnt complain at all.     Even bottom 2nd I probably wouldnt be extremely angry with.   I dont see 1st round talent there, though.   He reminds me of Blake Bortles....and thats not really a good thing (even though, admittedly, I liked Bortles coming out).   

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Well, we all have our own opinions when it comes to prospects, and there doesnt seem to be a huge gap in our opinions of him, so Im not going to get into a big debate about it.

Im just saying that Ive seen games where Ive really liked him and some that really worry me.   If we got him in say, the 3rd round, I wouldnt complain at all.     Even bottom 2nd I probably wouldnt be extremely angry with.   I dont see 1st round talent there, though.   He reminds me of Blake Bortles....and thats not really a good thing (even though, admittedly, I liked Bortles coming out).   

Agreed.  I'm not trying to debate it either.  I was just explaining that I was going off of what I had seen.  I've seen some bad and some good.  I saw a lot of good in 2 games.  That Pitt game he was almost flawless until he forced that pass when he was greedy in the 2nd half.  But Pitt is obviously terrible this year.  

As for Bortles, I didn't like his throwing motion, but there was an awful lot to like about the guy coming out.  I liked Derek Carr the most, and then it would've been between Garroppolo and Bortles and Mettenberger for my 2nd pick.  I didn't like Manziel or Bridgewater at all.  I thought Manziel was absolutely undraftable after that LSU game where he was exposed with the Mush Rush.  I watched that game live.  Bridgewater had a weak arm, terrible deep ball and was way too thin......all of that proved true, for both Bridgewater and Manziel, once they got to the big leagues.  Yeah, I was a bit wrong on Mettenberger.  I did call that ODB was a stud, and much better than Jarvis Landry who got more love from the announcers when I'd watch the LSU games that last year they were there.  But what I didn't realize was that he had TWO stud WRs that made him, not the other way around.  That taught me to look at supporting cast a bit more.....the whole cause and effect thing.  I wanted both Mettenberger and ODB big time.....but now I realize that one is no good, and the other is a headcase, so I'm glad neither happened lol.  

25 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I want that Falk kid out of Washington State.  He's so freaking good and underrated by armchair scouts.

I recently saw a mock (yes, I know...way to early) that had the Steelers taking him in Rd 1. Of course that same mock had them picking #31. ¬¬

29 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I recently saw a mock (yes, I know...way to early) that had the Steelers taking him in Rd 1. Of course that same mock had them picking #31. ¬¬

I would take him in the first easily.  Big, strong, stands tall in the pocket, throws darts, moves defenders with his eyes, reads defenses really well.

Fauk will go top 15 if not top 5 (easily be #1).  If the Steelers just win 3 more games they will have a chance. Nick Fitzgerald ( Miss  St. ) or Kelly Bryant (Clemson) are two (if they come out) will be QBs there in the 20s to early 2nd.

I don't see Fauk jumping that high.  There's also Darnald, Jackson, Rudolph, Allen, Rosen to consider.  Other top talent too.  If we pick mid-teens one of those guys will be there.

Heck I would be all for Bradford/Bridgewater (Minny isn't keeping both) on a 2 year deal, drafting one of these kids in the mid teens.  Because I really would trust one of the two of them to hold the fort down while we groom another QB.

Other names to look at are Clayton Thorston QB Northwestern, who is very Ben-esque in both size (6'4" 230) and style (big tall in pocket player with escapability).

So there's 7 QB's that I have legit interest in.  I'm going to start diving in Amrsteeld style into these guys and get some info and plays up on all of them.  Right now in order I would go:

Fauk, Darnald, Rosen, Thorston, Jackson, Rudolph, Allen

Archived