**TCMD** - Keeper Discussion Thread

ny92mike

Normally, I don't have any restrictions on trading players but I think that with this system we should have some system in place to prevent someone from trading their entire roster away on their way out the door. 

I'm leaning on creating a trade committee but if we create a committee the criteria for approving or declining trades needs to be transparent.  If we can't do that then I'm fine with just using my best judgement of if a trade would damage a team to the point that they couldn't come back.

I'd rather have a group of you guys managing this but again the criteria for approving a trade needs to be consistent, unbiased and completely transparent.  Any help with setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

36 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

First, I agree with the trade committee. Second, and this is just a suggestion but would it be possible to come up with a 'player value' system based maybe on statistics or something. Require trades to be of equal or reasonably near equal value.

I tried this early and the majority didnt like it.

• 2 weeks later...

So in the test version I didn't allow teams to trade or release drafted players.  You guys weren't a fan of that nor was I, so I'm changing this but want your opinion of this.  Do you guys want any restrictions on this or set it up to where you can't release or trade 1st round picks or 1 thru 3.  

Let me know, I'm cool with whatever here just need to know so that I can include it in the guidelines and the workbook formulas.

My desktop computer is in for repairs but I'm making decent progress with the build for this and should be posting the Official Sign Up thread for this in the next few days.

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

Sorry been busy @ny92mike I’ll hit back on your pm here shortly.

Honestly I’m not sure a value chart or restricting trades will be needed.  Might be alone there, but most everyone in this forum makes solid trades.

I agree.  My real concern with seeing a need for a trade council is just to insure that a member looking to leave doesn't trade their best players on their way out or if a trade would inflect a serious salary cap situation for the future of the team, basically to the point that it created contract issues so severe that the team couldn't house the minimum roster limit due to dead money or something like that.  I've never been a fan of restricting trades simply because I didn't agree on the value.  It isn't my place to determine what is best for another owner.  

What do you think about the restrictions for retaining 1st round picks in the initial roster building phase?  

No worries on not getting back sooner on the messages.  I've been dealing with some computer issues lately, so I haven't been doing much with this lately.  Should have the computer back tomorrow, thursday at the latest.  I built it back in 2008 and the hard drive finally crapped out, last month it was the video card.  I'm having a pro update the new SSD with Windows operating system and transfer all the data, so I don't lose any of my excel work.  

I do wanna dive in once I get it back though.  Still a lot to do with this project and not much time to do it....isn't there a song about that...lol.

I've been working on the guidelines with @wwhickok on the laptop but I'm so ready to get my desktop back.

6 hours ago, ny92mike said:

So in the test version I didn't allow teams to trade or release drafted players.  You guys weren't a fan of that nor was I, so I'm changing this but want your opinion of this.  Do you guys want any restrictions on this or set it up to where you can't release or trade 1st round picks or 1 thru 3.  

Let me know, I'm cool with whatever here just need to know so that I can include it in the guidelines and the workbook formulas.

My desktop computer is in for repairs but I'm making decent progress with the build for this and should be posting the Official Sign Up thread for this in the next few days.

I think if you want a more active and dynamic league that has player movement and trades, placing restrictions on the ability to trade recently drafted players seems counter to that.  

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think if you want a more active and dynamic league that has player movement and trades, placing restrictions on the ability to trade recently drafted players seems counter to that.  

Right, my concerns are that some teams during this initial roster build will be drafting players with the intent to trade them which is something I'm looking to avoid at least with the individual draft, now the pos group draft is a whole different ball game.  Not putting any restrictions on the pos group draft I'm cool with that.  Some of these draft picks especially the later rounds we'll likely look to cut.   I'm fine leaving it up to the owner if they wanna keep any of the drafted rookies but I would like to restrict trading of the players that are drafted during the 6 rounds of individual players.

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Right, my concerns are that some teams during this initial roster build will be drafting players with the intent to trade them which is something I'm looking to avoid at least with the individual draft, now the pos group draft is a whole different ball game.  Not putting any restrictions on the pos group draft I'm cool with that.  Some of these draft picks especially the later rounds we'll likely look to cut.   I'm fine leaving it up to the owner if they wanna keep any of the drafted rookies but I would like to restrict trading of the players that are drafted during the 6 rounds of individual players.

So if a player is drafted in the 6 rounds by a team and another team wants to make an offer for that player, the drafting team would be restricted from trading said player?  What if the 2 sides were trying to work out a deal and the clock was coming to an end, so instead of not making a pick, the team decided to pick the player and work out the trade compensation after.  I guess I am confused as to why it is OK to trade the draft pick, but not the drafted player.  Both are assets that the team has, shouldn't they both  be tradable?

11 hours ago, squire12 said:

So if a player is drafted in the 6 rounds by a team and another team wants to make an offer for that player, the drafting team would be restricted from trading said player?  What if the 2 sides were trying to work out a deal and the clock was coming to an end, so instead of not making a pick, the team decided to pick the player and work out the trade compensation after.  I guess I am confused as to why it is OK to trade the draft pick, but not the drafted player.  Both are assets that the team has, shouldn't they both  be tradable?

This rule is only for this initial roster build, after that the regular draft is set like normal.  During this startup teams aren't allowed to trade their picks either.  The idea behind limiting trades is so that a team that doesn't really need another star player at a position doesn't just draft him as trade bait in a section of the sim where cap penalties aren't a concern.  

On 7/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, cortes02 said:

Jarvis Jenkins from what I can see is still active but is a free agent

Jamaal Charles is retired

Derrick Johnson is retired

I'm just a spectator in this, but I can 100% confirm these.

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't realize how old that post was.

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1