Is the Patriots roster actually GOOD? Or is it propped up by coaching?

CKS97

The Patriots roster is above average. It's not loaded with top end talent like the Saints/Rams. Bill just does a tremendous job of getting a few elite players and then getting guys who can step in and do what he needs them to do to win. Bill/Brady are obviously the #1 reason this team contends year in and year out.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 5:10 PM, blizofoz45 said:

We'll never know because when Tom Brady retires BB will be right behind him.

I don’t know about all that. I think the average fan seriously underestimates just how much coaching means to Bill Belichick. There has never once been a single peep that’s come from anywhere that’s given any indication that Belichick has any plans to step down. 

Coaching is his life. His two sons are on the staff. What would he do in retirement? Given Belichick’s sense of history, I think he’s chasing Don Shula’s 347 wins (including playoffs). Only 55 more to go. 

On 7/3/2019 at 9:41 PM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I wouldn't be surprised. The owners may force that. They don't want Brady's legacy tainted. I think the other owners were in cahoots with Kraft to block Belichick from trading Brady because of this.

Seriously?

What in the world gave you that idea?

Edited by rfournier103
Incorrect tense of “underestimate.”
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

Seriously?

What in the world gave you that idea?

Brady is the face of the NFL to the owners. If he went to SF and didn't (or doesn't) win, it would taint his legacy.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

Always good to get a who's-who of Patriot haters on one thread. That way we know where they are. Those who had 'cheaters', 'system QB' and 'refs' on their cards scored big here! :P

It's both. For talent - see stepping it up when it really matters. E.g Hightowers' performances in every SB he's played. You probably don't rate him anywhere near top 5 or even 10 for backers, but his play has been ridiculous in Superbowls. Does he pass the 'talented' bar that you set? If not, why not, if he's putting in performances like he has? 

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 7/4/2019 at 2:47 PM, MookieMonstah said:

Bill/Brady are obviously the #1 reason this team contends year in and year out.

Yeah trying to figure out who is singularly responsible for their success is so dumb. A lot of people embarrassed themselves in this thread over the last month or so.