Starting LG Position

Slappy Mc

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034152/article/redskins-planning-to-start-ereck-flowers-at-left-guard

Well gents. 

"I think it gives us size, it gives us power, I think those are really good traits for the running attack and pass protection," Callahan continued. "He's long, he's square, obviously he can play in the short area so those are things we kind of identified during free agency that we liked and we are trying to fit him into that mode. So it's been a work in progress, we got a long ways to go yet, but he's made a nice transition."

8 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't think he means ( he being Callahan ) he is being handed the "Starting " job. I think he merely means he's starting the transition to L G. I think L G will be an open competition but they are hoping Flowers will step it up. He's shown nothing in his few years in the league . I'm sure not hopeful- well hopeful but VERY dubious !

Callahan continues to lose credibility with me.  At best, Flowers should be given a chance to compete.  The reviews of flowers so far are atrocious and I would rather callahan call a spade a spade.  This isn't a huge surprise as he has had similar results every where else he has played.  The reviews make it sounds like flowers is even getting man handled by the water boy.  

I have no problem with them taking a shot at flowers.  But you have to be willing to admit mistakes.  I hope this isn't one of those cases where we are gonna play him just cause we paid him a little.  If he doesn't look good you are just wasting reps on him that end up hurting the development of other guys.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

At best, Flowers should be given a chance to compete.

No, he shouldn't. At best, Flowers would be at home sitting on his couch wondering where his career went wrong.

I have no problem with them taking a shot at flowers. 

I do. He's a waste of talent.

I hope this isn't one of those cases where we are gonna play him just cause we paid him a little.

Got it one.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If Wes Martin can’t beat out Flowers we have some serious issues. 

This is true.

However, I think the "move inside" decision was an attempt to salvage the signing instead of realizing it was a mistake and cutting their losses early.