Jump to content
HorizontoZenith

What do Bears fans think of Mitchell?

26 posts in this topic

blkwdw13    2

For this season my expectations are very low, but I am also pretty excited to see how he progresses.  I really hope he is the answer so the Bears can finally challenge the Packers and other top teams better than they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much the same as blkwdw13.  Certainly don't want him starting right away, but next year I bet he takes over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CBears019    0

I think most people are excited for him.  But as Bears fans we're in unchartered territory.  The last QB they drafted in the first round was Rex Grossman in '03, and before that I'm too young to remember.

One of the bigger debates is whether or not to redshirt him.  Do we make him the 3rd stringer regardless of performance and roll with glennon/Sanchez all year?  Or do we let Tru play if he shows well in TC/PS?  Also, there's a lot of uncertainty with the coaching staff.  So we're not sure if this is the right coaching staff to develop him, OR if this is the coaching staff that is going to be developing him for the majority of his career.

Ultimately I think it's cautious optimism.  I just don't want to see the Bears get into the same pattern they had with Cutler - a new coach or OC every couple of years.  I think this is likely Fox's last year here.  Whoever they hire next I want to be someone who will stay here with largely the same coaching staff for the next 5+ years.  There's just been too much turnover here since Lovie left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madmike90    1

I'm very excited about him long term...he clearly has the physical tools to be a quality QB but more importantly I like the temperament he seems to have...never gets too low or too high...I think his teammates will really take to him as well and that is just as important if not more so than being able to throw the ball on a dime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blkwdw13    2
5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm very excited about him long term...he clearly has the physical tools to be a quality QB but more importantly I like the temperament he seems to have...never gets too low or too high...I think his teammates will really take to him as well and that is just as important if not more so than being able to throw the ball on a dime.

I like this kind of an extension to how I feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SteelKing728    11

Not a Bears fan, but I wouldn't expect much from him this year. I think he needs some time before he can take off.

The problem though is that I just don't expect Glennon to be good enough to hold him off for much of the season. At most, I see Glennon lasting 6 games before he's benched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CBears019    0
16 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Not a Bears fan, but I wouldn't expect much from him this year. I think he needs some time before he can take off.

The problem though is that I just don't expect Glennon to be good enough to hold him off for much of the season. At most, I see Glennon lasting 6 games before he's benched.

Yeah that's what a lot of us are expecting. At some point this year Trubisky will be named the starter.  Whether by poor performance or injury, Tru is gonna start at some point.  

Hopefully glennon plays well enough that he's not considered a train wreck and allows Tru to sit for most of the year.  No one wants to see him thrown into the fire before he's ready. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G08    2

First of all... New forum setup is dope! 

 

As for Mitch... He's not ready but he's an invested and talented young man. I'm excited for him. I don't have any ceiling for floor comps for him, I just hope the Bears do him right and not flip coordinators on him every other year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
malak1    1

My excitement for the Kid is high. However, like everyone else in this thread, I don't expect too much from him this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZBearsFan    0
On 7/22/2017 at 0:45 PM, G08 said:

First of all... New forum setup is dope! 

 

As for Mitch... He's not ready but he's an invested and talented young man. I'm excited for him. I don't have any ceiling for floor comps for him, I just hope the Bears do him right and not flip coordinators on him every other year. 

I don't know if he's ready or not. I'm disappointed they aren't just making it an open competition though (or at least they're saying they're not at the outset of camp). Glennon doesn't have the skins on the wall to merit that IMO. I think Trubisky has elite potential. I wouldn't expect that level of play from him this year in any scenario though. I just don't know that he grows more on the bench in what's going to likely be a rebuilding season than he would bring out there, making those rookie mistakes, and learning from them in live action now so that he's making less of them by next season when we should be better postured to compete for something of consequence. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G08    2
10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don't know if he's ready or not. I'm disappointed they aren't just making it an open competition though (or at least they're saying they're not at the outset of camp). Glennon doesn't have the skins on the wall to merit that IMO. I think Trubisky has elite potential. I wouldn't expect that level of play from him this year in any scenario though. I just don't know that he grows more on the bench in what's going to likely be a rebuilding season than he would bring out there, making those rookie mistakes, and learning from them in live action now so that he's making less of them by next season when we should be better postured to compete for something of consequence. 

 

Take it for what it's worth (word of mouth) but a buddy went golfing with an NFL scout that was responsible for Trubisky and he said he liked the kid, especially his makeup, but felt that he needed *at least* one year on the bench, if not two. He said that offense was nowhere near what he will be asked to do in the NFL and throwing him to the wolves now could potentially ruin him.

I think Pace knows that as well; his boy Brees played exactly 1 game his rookie year, so I don't think there's any rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AZBearsFan    0
15 hours ago, G08 said:

Take it for what it's worth (word of mouth) but a buddy went golfing with an NFL scout that was responsible for Trubisky and he said he liked the kid, especially his makeup, but felt that he needed *at least* one year on the bench, if not two. He said that offense was nowhere near what he will be asked to do in the NFL and throwing him to the wolves now could potentially ruin him.

I think Pace knows that as well; his boy Brees played exactly 1 game his rookie year, so I don't think there's any rush.

Brees also wasn't the second pick in the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G08    2
9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Brees also wasn't the second pick in the draft. 

True, but I don't think your draft status should force you to get on the field before the braintrust thinks you're ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tru has the physical and mental tools to b a great qb imo.  I was originally on the red shirt bandwagon, but as ive thought more about it, i think its important that he's not arbitrarily held back.  If he shows himself to b the best qb in camp then he should start.  If not then him riding the bench is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×