What do Bears fans think of Mitchell?

MacReady

41 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Tru has the physical and mental tools to b a great qb imo.  I was originally on the red shirt bandwagon, but as ive thought more about it, i think its important that he's not arbitrarily held back.  If he shows himself to b the best qb in camp then he should start.  If not then him riding the bench is fine.

For sure, if he's ready to go and displays that he's by far the best and most ready QB on this roster, he should play. I just don't think that's the case at all.

This offense is entirely predicated upon reading NFL defenses, Trubisky showed in his bowl game against Stanford that he is nowhere near ready for last second coverage changes and playing against cover 1 robber. He'd be eaten alive this early, IMO.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

For sure, if he's ready to go and displays that he's by far the best and most ready QB on this roster, he should play. I just don't think that's the case at all.

This offense is entirely predicated upon reading NFL defenses, Trubisky showed in his bowl game against Stanford that he is nowhere near ready for last second coverage changes and playing against cover 1 robber. He'd be eaten alive this early, IMO.

To me he doesn't have to be "by far the most ready QB" - if he and Glennon are equal parts prepared then he should be in there over Glennon. He's the future. Once he's not a step down then it should be his show. I don't want to force him in, but what Sup said was right on - we shouldn't arbitrarily hold him back because of a promise to an unproven guy highly unlikely to be on the roster beyond this year anyway. 

As to how he'd fare reading NFL defenses I think it's also important to note that UNC was asking him to completely run the whole show and be the reason they have a chance to win every week. It's highly unlikely if he's under center this year that he'd have that level of responsibility. If he's in there unless he goes bananas I'd expect he gets the Roethlisberger-esque 25-30 throws/game, rely on the D and a strong running game approach. 

I don't think "best in camp" should be the measuring stick for if Trubisky should start or not.  If the coaches think he is ready to face NFL defenses, then he should start.  But just looking better than Glennon and/or Sanchez doesn't necessarily mean he is NFL ready.

The kid right now can't even properly receive snaps, it was painful to watch at camp on Saturday. He makes some wow throws, his athleticism is there, but IMO throwing him out there against NFL defenses while in the back of his head he's not even sure if he can properly get the snap is a disaster waiting to happen.

He said himself the hardest thing for him right now is calling plays/protections in the huddle, breaking the huddle, and then going through all his pre-snap checks as he he approaches the LOS.

If he's starting week 1, as of right now, I think it will be a disaster. And really guys, it almost pains me to say this because of how much I hate his NFL tape... but Glennon looked freaking sharp on Saturday... I want to see what he's got in this offense.

Expectations for this year are low, but I think he has a ton of potential. Whoever takes over for Fox will be a major factor in his development and reaching said potential, because Fox/Loggains aren't doing squat. Same for Mahomes who is my favorite QB in this draft, but he got to start with Reid. He's got a chance to be crazy good. We watched Cutler, who regardless of public opinion was very talented, but with poor supporting casts, poor coaching (offensively, I won't take away what Lovie built on defense), and a lack of an offensive system to develop in cost him (and the Bears) a lot. Hopefully we don't squander Trubisky like Jay with a great defense and joke of offensive talent around him.

If they want to start him, I am fine with it. Glennon will look better initially of course, but he is a stopgap and that is it. If you can protect him you will not ruin his career starting him. Hell we had Orton start his rookie year with Ron Turner bumbling with a playsheet and with Barkely showed Loggains can scheme around QB deficiencies like a lack of real talent, so I'm sure he can get Trubisky and the center on the same page. Over 50% of the snaps were in the shotgun, the last several years, so this isn't a crippling hindrance. That being said, if they feel he needs time to get practicce reps in, then let Glennon start. If you feel the supporting cast can cause a beating like Jay under Martz or Carr in Houston, you let Glennon take the beating.  But if you doubt that Loggains can even get him to get snaps down, what the hell are you doing paying him so much?

The transition isn't new. Mariota made it and they did so while he was always in the shotgun and a more simplistic offense than Trubisky. They did it by easing NFL schemes and concepts to him and incorporating a lot of what he did really well at Oregon.

Taking some snaps under center is part of the process for the quarterback who played in the shotgun in college.

"I got to be under center for the first time, so that was different for me a little bit," Mariota said. "It's still football, and you've got to be able to execute whatever the coaches are asking you to."

Still, there is a bit of a learning curve for Mariota handling the NFL huddle, getting out to the line of scrimmage and making his checks.

"There's obviously parts of it that he is very comfortable with and other parts where it's new to him," Whisenhunt said. "So trying to blend all of those together and process all of that, it's something that just takes time."

There are several reason not to start Trubisky, but I'm not sure he is one of them.

On 7/17/2017 at 8:36 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

Anticipations high, low, anxious, excited?  Think he's the answer? 

I was not in favor of the trade to get him, but I have to tell you what I saw against Denver impressed me.  He knew what he was doing.  If he continues to progress and out plays the other qbs, I see no reason not to start him.  IF the fans will allow him to get experience.  You do know that Glennon will be boo'ed out of the joint if he screws up much.

What do Bears fans think of Trubisky?

Post-Bowl Season to Pre-Combine - I think Bears fans generally liked him. He was getting mocked to them a LOT. Nobody talks about this anymore, at all.

Combine to April 26, 2017 - Deshaun Waton and Solmon Thomas became the hot names, and Bears fans had a lukewarm opinion of Trubisky.

April 27th to August 9, 2017 - From what I gather, Bears fans didn't dislike Trubisky as much as they lost their minds about how a third round pick was lost that could have been used to draft a defensive back, but they drafted Eddie Jackson in the 4th anyway and everybody loves Eddie Jackson now.

August 10, 2017 to present - he's the perfect savior QB and needs to start right now.

15 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

What do Bears fans think of Trubisky?

Post-Bowl Season to Pre-Combine - I think Bears fans generally liked him. He was getting mocked to them a LOT. Nobody talks about this anymore, at all.

Combine to April 26, 2017 - Deshaun Waton and Solmon Thomas became the hot names, and Bears fans had a lukewarm opinion of Trubisky.

April 27th to August 9, 2017 - From what I gather, Bears fans didn't dislike Trubisky as much as they lost their minds about how a third round pick was lost that could have been used to draft a defensive back, but they drafted Eddie Jackson in the 4th anyway and everybody loves Eddie Jackson now.

August 10, 2017 to present - he's the perfect savior QB and needs to start right now.

I think you have to change this around a little, to something like....

Bowl Season to before the National Championship game - I think Bears fans generally liked him. He was getting mocked to them.

National Championship game to two weeks later - Almost everybody and their mother wanted Watson at #3.

The Watson train slowly picked up steam after the National Championship, but it was unstoppable approaching draft day.

Then there was the Jamal Adams bandwagon, which I was briefly on but jumped off in February. It's ridiculous how much Bears fans overvalue safety for no other reason than they're still not over Mike Brown.

I was all over Trubisky early, but Pace faked the hell out of me. Since we paid little to no attention to him during the draft process, I figured Watson was going to be the pick. I still like Watson quite a bit, as well as Mahomes and Kizer... if I had to rank them:

Trubisky

Watson

Mahomes

Kizer

Archived