Would You Rather- Centers/Point Guards

Glen

42 minutes ago, Glen said:

Would you rather a roster full of point guards or a roster full of centers?

Would pose this as both

Modern NBA:

And

All Time:

Has to be point guards right? How many centers can really dribble that well to even get the ball down court?

At least we have had some tall PGs like Magic Johnson.

Yeah, gotta be PG's. You can find a lot of tall PG's that could act as wings. Finding C's who defend the perimeter and shoot is a lot more rare.

Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Oscar Robertson, Penny Hardaway, Shaun Livingston, Magic Johnson are all dudes who are either big or excellent defenders. Hell Magic played C for a game when the league was a lot more big centric.

Defending the perimeter would be the biggest detriment to the centers for sure.

But also at an All-Time level I'm not sure you could argue Magic Johnson is a serviceable 5 vs Prime Shaq/Wilt/KAJ/Russell in the paint.

Using current players I think the centers are better than people give them credit for, there are plenty of them who are capable of switching onto guards and being primary ball handlers. 

Draymond Green, Horford, Jokic, Anthony Davis, KAT, Nance, Looney, Ayton, Julius Randle, Morris Twins, Markkanen, Bagley, Montrez Harrell

Plenty of shooting, some slashing, capable of running the floor, defensive versatility, and passing. Put Livingston on any of these guys and he'd get worked the entire game. Ben Simmons is the only guy who can guard someone. Maybe Evan Turner, Winslow, and Satoransky could hang but it'd be a lot closer than first glance. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Well considering center is the most replaceable position in sports and PG is the most important in the basketball I’ll take PG. 

I wouldn't consider PG to be the most important.  The point guard position is not even really relevant outside of a few select guys in history.  Dominant wing players are much more important, imo.

Centers easily... this is a big man’s game.

The centers will just play off the PGs and let them shoot rather than blow right by them. What can the PGs do to stop the centers posting up? They’ll shoot like 80% with a ton of FTs. PGs will hit ~55% of their open jumpers, if not worse. Centers will certainly have ton of TOs, but I don’t think that’s making up for gap in shooting.

I’m just thinking of prototype centers and PGs here. If you comprise a team of actual NBA centers and actual PGs? Becomes not even close when you consider the amount of centers that can handle the ball and shoot.