What if--All Hail, QB Warren Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1qXAyEwAQw

I usually don't go in for playing the "what if" game.  One exception I have made when thinking about the Vikings is what if they had drafted Warren Moon when he came out of the University of Washington in 1978 as the heir apparent to Tarkenton?  What if he spent his 23 year career playing in the purple and gold?  No Tommy Kramer, Wade Wilson, Sean Salisbury, Rich Gannon, Jim McMahon, Brad Johnson, or Randall Cunningham.  Where could the franchise gone with one of the greatest arms in the history of football?  What if he got to play with Moss?  Would the Vikings have won a Lombardi?  Would we have been spared the ignominy of Les Steckel?

In the constellation of great quarterbacks in NFL history, it seems easy to overlook Warren Moon.  Yes, he never won a Super Bowl...he never even got to one.  Yet, every team he played for, even some pretty lousy Oiler squads, was dangerous with him behind center.  With him at quarterback you felt like you had a chance at least.  What skills did he bring to the position?  Well watch the highlights, and you will see a man with one of the strongest passing arms in history.  Combined with his strength was pinpoint laser accuracy.  He was an expert at looking off the defender, helping his receivers get open.  Just notice how many quarterbacks playing today just aren't good at that!  He was tall and strong in the pocket, but could sidestep the rush and throw on the run.  He was as smart a quarterback as has ever played.  He learned from experience on the field...it was almost like watching him get smarter and more confident every play.  He refused to be distracted by all the racial nonsense of a black man being able to play quarterback at a historically high level!  He only played two years for the Vikings, but, man he played great in those two years, in his late 30's.  What if he had played for the Vikings in his prime? 

39 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

sure don't care for him personally, and some of his actions have been so awful it's difficult to ignore them and only think of his athletic skills.

So, you're saying his off the field behavior eclipsed his on the field performance?

• Like 1

Well, all things being the same (still get Carter and Moss etc.), Moon would hold every passing record in the NFL. As far as pure passers go, Marino was the only one who could compete, and Moon never had the receivers that Marino had. 

On another note, thanks @Virginia Vikingfor doing these. Very entertaining and fun to look back. 

I've heard all the OTF allegations and I will say there is rarely smoke without fire, especially when the smoke comes up from multiple locations. Strictly as a pro quarterback, he's one of my favorite players to ever step on the field. I knew his name before I knew anything about football.

Going back and watching him now, he was extremely skilled and fun to watch whether he wore an Oilers uniform or a Vikings one (the Seahawks can go jump in a lake). He threw too many picks, but that might have been a consequence of the awesome Run and Shoot offense that required him to pass on most of the snaps. He defied the stereotypes and showed everybody that black quarterbacks could be highly successful in the NFL. For that, he has my admiration and respect.

If he'd played for us in his prime, we might very well have a Lombardi but it was not to be.

14 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Well, all things being the same (still get Carter and Moss etc.), Moon would hold every passing record in the NFL. As far as pure passers go, Marino was the only one who could compete, and Moon never had the receivers that Marino had. 

On another note, thanks @Virginia Vikingfor doing these. Very entertaining and fun to look back. 

Moon's receivers were better than Marino's.  I'd personally take Jeffires, Givins and Hill over Clayton and Duper 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2