Are the Packers or Steelers more likely to make the SB in 2019?

Bolts223

14 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think the Steelers are probably the better team but I may say the Packers just because if they can get into the playoffs there isn't really a team that has had their number like the Patriots have with the Steelers. Oddmakers also give the Packers the better odds of getting there.

Atlanta? Seattle?

Edited by malak1

The Packers. 

The Steelers have Baltimore and Cleveland in their own division to contend with. 

Then there’s possibly New England; Kansas City; Los Angeles; Houston; and Indianapolis in the playoff field. 

Many potential roadblocks. Granted, the Steelers won’t have to go through them all, but it’d be a tough road. 

This is a great question.

I'd go with the Steelers.  I feel like they're playing with house money with AB and Bell gone and everyone propping up Cleveland.   Conner, Juju, Vance etc should be enough.  What's been unnoticed is how much improved the defense here.   Green Bay sort of did the same thing but looking at both conferences I like Pitts group of playmakers better than GBs and the AFC seems much easier to come out of.  I can't picture NE and KC topping the years they've had and Cleveland and Indy are less experienced for this stage.  The NFC still has so many teams that could come out of the conference.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jvmillion83 said:

I'd go with the Steelers.  I feel like they're playing with house money with AB and Bell gone and everyone propping up Cleveland.   Conner, Juju, Vance etc should be enough.  What's been unnoticed is how much improved the defense here.   Green Bay sort of did the same thing but looking at both conferences I like Pitts group of playmakers better than GBs and the AFC seems much easier to come out of.  I can't picture NE and KC topping the years they've had and Cleveland and Indy are less experienced for this stage.  The NFC still has so many teams that could come out of the conference.  

Eh, the two teams with the best SB odds are in the AFC and there are 5 other AFC teams with better SB odds than the Steelers and just 4 NFC teams with better odds than the Packers.

I think having a larger number of teams that could come out of the NFC would favor any NFC team's chance over an AFC's team's chance because that likely points to having more dominant teams, which coincides with KC and NE being the favorites. If you assume that NE and KC won't be as good this year I can also assume NO and LAR won't be as good this year. Those are the 4 favorites as they should be right now though and I would rather have to go through NO and LAR than KC and NE but I guess that is just opinion even though the odds agree with that opinion.

The Packers have a new head coach and offense, and are counting on a lot of rookies and sophomores to play major roles.  I think that we will be a team that you don't want to play by the second half of the season, and I think that we will be even more dangerous in 2020.  There will still be some growing pains this season.  I think the Steelers will be the better team in 2019, and thus I think they have a better shot at making the Super Bowl.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jvmillion83 said:

according to oddmakers it's about even GB 10/1 to come out of the NFC, PIT 12/1 to come out of the AFC.

PIT is more likely to get in but the road from there on would be tough. The NFC has more potential playoff teams but PIT would also have a better chance securing a top 2 seed there compared to the AFC. I don't see PIT being seeded higher than #4 this year and I think it will be #6 most likely in a dogfight with the Ravens and Texans. And winning 3 straight road games in the postseason is almost impossible. 

8 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

The Packers. 

The Steelers have Baltimore and Cleveland in their own division to contend with. 

Then there’s possibly New England; Kansas City; Los Angeles; Houston; and Indianapolis in the playoff field. 

Many potential roadblocks. Granted, the Steelers won’t have to go through them all, but it’d be a tough road. 

agreed. AFC playoff field will be loaded.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The Packers have a new head coach and offense, and are counting on a lot of rookies and sophomores to play major roles.  I think that we will be a team that you don't want to play by the second half of the season, and I think that we will be even more dangerous in 2020.  There will still be some growing pains this season.  I think the Steelers will be the better team in 2019, and thus I think they have a better shot at making the Super Bowl.

This is pretty much how I see it as well.  The Packers organization has been making a lot of good moves, but I think it is asking a lot to go from where they were last season to winning it all.  They are in a tougher division than the Steelers are in.  IMHO, the Bears and Vikings are probably both still better teams at the moment.  By 2020, things could very well be completely different.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

This is pretty much how I see it as well.  The Packers organization has been making a lot of good moves, but I think it is asking a lot to go from where they were last season to winning it all.  They are in a tougher division than the Steelers are in.  IMHO, the Bears and Vikings are probably both still better teams at the moment.  By 2020, things could very well be completely different.

I agree the Packers have a tougher path for a playoff spot but they have an easier path to the SB imo