Best NFL Nickel/Dime DL's

HTTRDynasty

How would you rank the top 5 NFL DL's, when in Nickel/Dime formation (which is run 70+% of the time), in the league for 2019?  That means you can only choose 4 down linemen.  I chose Nickel/Dime because I didn't want to have to deal with the whole 3-4 vs. 4-3 issue.

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, Marcel Dareus, Josh Allen

2. Philadelphia Eagles - Brandon Graham, Malik Jackson, Fletcher Cox, Derek Barnett

3. Chicago Bears - Leonard Flyod, Akiem Hicks, Bilal Nichols, Khalil Mack

4. Denver Broncos - Bradley Chubb, Derek Wolfe, Adam Gotsis, Von Miller

5. Washington Redskins - Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Ryan Kerrigan

I went with the teams that have 3-4 very good starters along the line with no real weaknesses over the teams that have 1 or 2 elite to very good starters, but weaknesses elsewhere (e.g. Chargers, Texans, Rams, Vikings, Saints).  You can base it on whatever you want.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:32 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Myles Garrett, Oliver Vernon, Larry Ogunjobi and Sheldon Richardson?

Probably would make the honorable mention list. Not a big fan of OV, and Richardson hasn’t been all that impressive since his first couple years in the league. Ogunjobi is an up-and-comer, but Garrett doesn’t really have enough help to crack my top 5. 

Can you really  have a top 5 without including the two most Dominate DL in the NFL being included some how? Mine would be

1.Jacksonville Jaguars - Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, Marcel Dareus, Josh Allen

2. Denver Broncos - Bradley Chubb, Derek Wolfe, Adam Gotsis, Von Miller

3. Chicago Bears - Leonard Flyod, Akiem Hicks, Bilal Nichols, Khalil Mack

Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, ...?

Donald, Brockers, Fowler, ....?

6. Philadelphia Eagles - Brandon Graham, Malik Jackson, Fletcher Cox, Derek Barnett

*** Lawrence, Crawford, Collins, Woods?

8. Washington Redskins - Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Ryan Kerrigan

Now if we're talking overall depth, 2nd wave of backups included, The Eagles are definitely top 5 maybe even 3 with Curry, Jernigan,  Sweat, Rideway, ect.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Can you really  have a top 5 without including the two most Dominate DL in the NFL being included some how?

On 6/20/2019 at 8:36 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I went with the teams that have 3-4 very good starters along the line with no real weaknesses over the teams that have 1 or 2 elite to very good starters, but weaknesses elsewhere (e.g. Chargers, Texans, Rams, Vikings, Saints).  You can base it on whatever you want.

Donald and Watt are the best of the best, but the rest of their DL don’t overly impress me as pass rushers. Run defense? Sure. But, as @Matts4313 would say, it’s a passing league. If we look at overall sacks and pressures at the end of the year, I’m willing to bet the Rams and Texans won’t be in the top 5.  Hell, the Rams were 15th last year, even with the 2nd most explosive offense in the league. 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:36 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

1. Jacksonville Jaguars - Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, Marcel Dareus, Josh Allen

Would  Taven Bryan be in there instead of Dareus in many of these nickle/dime situations?