Grade your teams draft night

NYRaider

Virginia Cavaliers: A+ B| What a night. 3 guys drafted (+Marial Shayok). The "Virginia doesn't produce NBA players" narrative can now sit in the trash can next to the "Virginia can't win in March" narrative.

Haven't followed the league in some time but may need to get League Pass for this upcoming season.

• Like 1

Nets Ill give them a B+. They have a plan to continue to clear space to sign to max players to contend in the East so they traded both 1st round picks. I really wanted them to get Bol at 31 but they took another center who is raw but has talent. I trust Akinson and his development of plays to get the most out of Claxton so with the Nets now having Allen and Brown they have size in the paint to block and bother shots. The other pick Hand Im also curious to see how he does. I dont know really anything about both picks but I do know that I trust the Nets FO as they have built a team by finding and developing guys in the draft as well as guys that were in the G-League or just written off in the league in general. So I strongly believe at least one of those picks will work out well for the Nets. My gut feeling is its going to be Claxton which is much needed for the Nets who need size in the worst way. 

Jordan Poole - seems like a pretty need based pick based off of Klay being down so I'm cool with this pick. Not sure how he's gonna be defensively but I am sure draymond is gonna be drilling him every chance he gets. C+

Eric Paschall - I thought he was an undersized 3/4 but then I looked at his combine measurements and he's legit 6'6 w/o shoes (btw kinda bs how one guy can have an 1.25" difference between shoes and w/o shoes then another guy can have a 2.75" difference) He's gonna play right away a lot of minutes, but best of all Jordan Bell is forsure gone. A+

Alen Smailagic - Still only 18, played on the dubs dleague affiliate as a 17yo and had very bright moments. But overall he's at best a 2-way player for next season, but its nice to know theres a skilled 6'10 athletic shooter making improvements each day under the teams watchful eye. B

Overall I'll give the dubs a B+ not that it matters but the needs were addressed, and we got a couple guys that should provide minutes/prevent the older guys from burning out. 

• Like 1

Cavs - A-

Darius Garland - A-  - We went BPA and you can’t be mad about that. We will see how Sexton and Garland look on the floor together but we need all the scoring and playmaking we can get.

Dylan Windler - B - Really hurts that Nasir Little went 1 pick ahead of us as I feel he would have been a better fit for what we need (defense). Windler could be a Gordon Heyward/Kyle Korver hybrid if he hits his ceiling though.

Kevin Porter Jr - A - Love the aggressiveness to give up a bunch of future 2nds to come back in the 1st round and grab him. Ceiling is Harden, Floor is Swaggy P.

Overall we took a bunch of guys that will fit JB’s system, can shoot, and can be molded. We will be a lot more exciting to watch this year but we may have a historically bad defense. I’m ok with that, if we are going to be a lottery team we might as well be fun to watch.

Boston B-

Romeo Langford. Seems like he may be good, BUT NOT the best available. Sekou has a very high ceiling and will make Boston regret this pick in a few years. But NO FREAKIN patience by Ainge and Stevens who are tryin g to save face with a more "ready" perhaps then develop a player with major upside.

Grant Williams - like above. Not a bad player but perhaps a reach. Boston could have drafted bigger and perhaps better players instead trading down twice.

The PG guard from Purdue was a good value at the 33rd pick, but part of the trade down that could have betted us better prospects.

*gained a first next year from the Bucks. But Bucks had best record this season so it should be a very late first..