Grade your teams draft night

NYRaider

I'll give the Cavs a B or a B-.

You could argue that Garland was BPA, although I might have preferred Culver. It'll be interesting to say the least as to how well a duo of Garland and Sexton turns out to be. At best you hope they'll turn out like Lillard and McCollum, but that's likely wishful thinking. If not, hopefully one proves to be a good starter and the other proves to be a great sixth man.

I like that we added guys who can really shoot the ball. But neither PG we have in Sexton and Garland are known to be great distributors, but hopefully one or both of them will improve in that area. We're probably going to be a very, very bad defensive team next year.

Detroit Pistons

Sekou Douyoumba (15th) and Deividas Sirvydis (37th) are both high upside players that will be allowed to take time to develop and become contributors next year or the year after. Sekou was definitely a very good value pick as many experts thought he might go in the top 10.  Finally, the Pistons got Jordan Bone (57th) to hopefully be a new version of Ish Smith. Bone is crazy athletic and quick but needs to develop more of a shot, just like Ish.

Overall I'd give the Pistons a B+

• Like 1

Utah Jazz: B

I would've liked to see us move back into the late first round and grab a stretch 4 but I think we're looking to let Favors walk and maximize our cap space for free agency. Our front office is known for finding gems in the rough and we regularly workout a bunch of small school guys that no one's really ever heard of before. We've found guys like Royce O'Neale, Paul Millsap, Joe Ingles, Mehmet Okur, etc. with our scouting department so I'm excited to see if any of our late 2nd round picks stick around. 

50th: Jarrell Brantley, PF, College of Charleston 

Out of our three picks, he's the most likely to make the final roster and has a chance to sneak into the end of the rotation. He looks like a mixture of Jae Crowder and Paul Millsap as an undersized stretch 4 with some offensive skill, range on his jumper, and defensive versatility. He was one of the most productive mid-major big men in the country during the last two seasons and played for the CAA's team that won the collegiate 3 on 3 tournaments earning $100k in the process. At 6'7" 255 with a 7'2" wingspan he has an NBA ready body and at the very least should be a productive player for the SLC Stars next season before eventually securing a roster spot later in the season. 

53rd: Justin Wright-Foreman, PG, Hofstra 

One of the most skilled scoring guards in the draft JWF has a chance to stick around in the league if he's willing to go the G-League route. He was one of the most productive players in college basketball over the last two seasons averaging 24 ppg as a Jr and 27 ppg as a Sr earning the CAA POY award in back to back years. If he is going to stick around it'll be because of his shooting touch, he hit 42% of his 3's last season and made 6 pull up jumpers per game at an impressive 48% clip. At 6'2" 195 with a 6'7" WS he has the size to play PG in the league but he's more of a two in a one's body at this stage and will need to improve a lot on defense to get consistent minutes. If I had to compare him to another guard, I'd say he's pretty similar to guys like Quinn Cook and Seth Curry coming into the league. 

58th: Miye Oni, SG, Yale 

Another guard with an intriguing skill set that may be able to stick around in the league if he's willing to grind it out in the G-League and put the work in. Oni has a very impressive physical profile at 6'6" 210 with a 6'11" WS and legit NBA athleticism. He was the Ivy League POY during his final season at Yale and was the only player in the conference to rank in the top 10 in points, rebounds, and assists. He's still extremely raw and figuring out how to use his physical tools on both ends of the court but the potential to be a 3&D guy on an NBA bench is there. He played his best on the brightest stage and absolutely lit Miami (FL) up last season on their home floor. Coming into the league he's like a slightly less developed version of Royce O'Neale. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We've found guys like...Mehmet Okur, etc. with our scouting department so I'm excited to see if any of our late 2nd round picks stick around. 

Hey man, the Pistons drafted Okur and he played two years (and won an NBA championship I might add) for them. Could not afford to keep him when he became a free agent and signed a pretty big deal with the Jazz. I was pretty bummed we lost him but glad he had a solid career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typical_Lions said:

Hey man, the Pistons drafted Okur and he played two years (and won an NBA championship I might add) for them. Could not afford to keep him when he became a free agent and signed a pretty big deal with the Jazz. I was pretty bummed we lost him but glad he had a solid career.

Joe Ingles played for the Clippers. Utah is notorious for finding gems that aren’t valued much around the league. Ingles was cut in the preseason by the Clippers and has become a very productive wing, Millsap was a 2nd round pick, Rudy was a late first, no one expected much from Spida either. Hell even a guy like Gordon haywrd was a gem, most thought he’d be a role player and he was nice in Utah.

20 hours ago, Typical_Lions said:

Detroit Pistons

Sekou Douyoumba (15th) and Deividas Sirvydis (37th) are both high upside players that will be allowed to take time to develop and become contributors next year or the year after. Sekou was definitely a very good value pick as many experts thought he might go in the top 10.  Finally, the Pistons got Jordan Bone (57th) to hopefully be a new version of Ish Smith. Bone is crazy athletic and quick but needs to develop more of a shot, just like Ish.

Overall I'd give the Pistons a B+

Pretty spot on. Wondering if Sekou replaces Blake soon 

B/B+ for the Clippers.

I really like what the players bring to the table.  Kabengele provides a really nice complement to Harrell and Zubac, and though he's still raw, he's really toolsy, from what I can see.  My only knock on this pick was that we felt we had to trade up into the 1st to pull it off.  If we'd have been able to snag MK at the top of the 2nd (no knowing whether or not that would have been possible, but given that he's not a true 7-footer and that Brooklyn seemed to like Claxon enough to take him 5 picks later) and not have the cap-hold involved with 1st round picks affecting our available space this summer, I'd have been over the moon.  Pure conjecture here, but we still have enough space to max Kawhi if he want to come and to bring in Horford (he's coming west IMO, it's just a matter of whether it's us, the Lakers, or the Kangs), but that's not a scenario I'm particularly confident in happening.

Terance Mann was as good as can be expected for where we were picking in the 2nd.  Underrated strength with room to grow still and a solid defender with good length and, like MK, a quality pick-and-pop shooter, which we fits us (and could definitely be argued was an area we needed to improve on) well.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Pretty spot on. Wondering if Sekou replaces Blake soon 

Don't see that happening anytime soon. Blake has been playing at a pretty high level and has a contract that would make him very difficult to trade imo. He is getting paid 35, 36, and 39 million over the next few years. Maybe Sekou could get some action at the 3? I don't know enough about him to know if that is a possibility just so he can get on the floor more often at least.

1 hour ago, Typical_Lions said:

Don't see that happening anytime soon. Blake has been playing at a pretty high level and has a contract that would make him very difficult to trade imo. He is getting paid 35, 36, and 39 million over the next few years. Maybe Sekou could get some action at the 3? I don't know enough about him to know if that is a possibility just so he can get on the floor more often at least.

You guys will likely use a 3 big rotation like Toronto did with Gasol | Siakam | Ibaka. 

On 6/21/2019 at 7:25 AM, bigben07MVP said:

Cavs - A-

Darius Garland - A-  - We went BPA and you can’t be mad about that. We will see how Sexton and Garland look on the floor together but we need all the scoring and playmaking we can get.

Meh, wasn't really BPA, he only had a 5 game sample size and he was up and down. Smaller PG that hasn't shown he can be a playmaker for others around him, not sure how well he works next to Sexton.