All Hail...to Epic Fail

Next week I will be starting a new series on Minnesota Vikings history; but instead of highlights, I will be showing some of the more painful moments of being a Vikings fan.  I will bring a top 10 list with "lowlights" of when the Vikings failed when it mattered most...or, we let a single player become a legend due to their performance against the Vikings.

It's good for true Viking fans to acknowledge that they have been fans through thick and thin.  Some of these moments still make me cringe with embarrassment and disgust.  I will start with the number 10 Epic Fail on Monday.  Stay tuned.

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

So far 2009 has really been the only painful letdown for me as a fan. 

2009 was not nearly as painful as 1998 for me.  I've now witnessed 5 NFCC losses (1987, 1998, 2001, 2009, 2017) and none were more painful than that loss to the Falcons.  

• Like 4

I was just a bit too young for the 98 loss to have any meaning for me. It sucked that my team lost, but I didn’t really have the comprehension of what it meant. 

2009 really hurt. That whole season was the most fun watching this team that I’ve ever had. And that game really should have been a whooping like the game against Dallas. 

It sucked to lose in 2017, but it was such a butt kicking that by the end of the game my feelings were “glad that’s over”. We just weren’t the better team, unlike 2009.  

1998 was my Minnesota sports fan baptism. I liked sports before that year, but I was just old enough to get caught up in the hype of that season and fall in love with the Vikings. I was also young enough to be emotionally devastated after that loss. Since then I have braced for for impact every time a team has been good or come close to reaching the promised land. They all hurt, but none of them have been as tough as the 1998 NFCCG.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It sucked to lose in 2017, but it was such a butt kicking that by the end of the game my feelings were “glad that’s over”. We just weren’t the better team, unlike 2009.  

That was the 2001 game for me...I turned it off 15 minutes in.  

If you ever watched the How I Met Your Mother episode when they were at the Vikings bar...that was about the truest thing ever.  xD

Swede 700 is correct.  Like Red Sox fans burying a jersey to exorcise the curse of the Bambino...or Cubs fans welcoming a goat to exorcise the curse of the goat AND offering forgiveness to Steve Bartman for being...well...the curse of Bartman, Vikings fans need to exorcise a few demons that have plagued our team.  So, in this top ten you will experience Viking leads collapse, running backs setting records against the team, miracle plays to break our hearts, and opposing players becoming legendary. 

I will say off the bat that Favre's interception against the Saint's in '09 and Gary Anderson's missed field goal in '98 did not make the list.  I argue that these were not the result of any curse, but in Favre's case typical bone headed behavior, and Anderson's miss is really the fault of how Denny Green managed the game stupidly. 

No, an epic fail resulting from a curse like experience comes out of nowhere, causing a complete collapse of ordinary playing levels...or the unexpected dominance of the opposing team...or an opposing player taking over a game. 

9 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Swede 700 is correct.  Like Red Sox fans burying a jersey to exorcise the curse of the Bambino...or Cubs fans welcoming a goat to exorcise the curse of the goat AND offering forgiveness to Steve Bartman for being...well...the curse of Bartman, Vikings fans need to exorcise a few demons that have plagued our team.  So, in this top ten you will experience Viking leads collapse, running backs setting records against the team, miracle plays to break our hearts, and opposing players becoming legendary. 

I will say off the bat that Favre's interception against the Saint's in '09 and Gary Anderson's missed field goal in '98 did not make the list.  I argue that these were not the result of any curse, but in Favre's case typical bone headed behavior, and Anderson's miss is really the fault of how Denny Green managed the game stupidly. 

No, an epic fail resulting from a curse like experience comes out of nowhere, causing a complete collapse of ordinary playing levels...or the unexpected dominance of the opposing team...or an opposing player taking over a game. 

Gary Anderson hadn’t missed a kick all season, and that was a chip shot. He makes that field goal and the Vikings win, simple as that. I can’t think of anything more unexpected or out of Nowhere than that missed field goal leading to the collapse of one of the most dominant teams in NFL history. No list of this nature would be complete without that game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Gary Anderson hadn’t missed a kick all season, and that was a chip shot. He makes that field goal and the Vikings win, simple as that. I can’t think of anything more unexpected or out of Nowhere than that missed field goal leading to the collapse of one of the most dominant teams in NFL history. No list of this nature would be complete without that game.

One of the worst parts was watching the happiness of the Broncos when they found out that they would get to play the Falcons in the Super Bowl instead of the Vikings.  You could see the utter relief on John Elway's smiling face when the results came across the big screen in their stadium.  Suddenly, Denver realized they would actually have a chance to win, rather than being served up for an almost certain beating at the hands of the highest scoring offense of all time.  '98 was the worst day ever for me as a fan of any sport.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 3