All Hail...to Epic Fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEZKpY8t4EQ

Epic Fail #1 - The Vikings vs. The Hail Mary

It should've been offensive pass interference!  But, instead, Viking fans alive in 1975 have had to live with the ignominy of the Dallas Cowboys and Roger Staubach to Drew Pearson last second, Hail Mary, touchdown.  I am still bitter about this game.  The Vikings finished the regular season 12-2 and were the first seed in the NFC playoffs.  They were two points away from a 13-1 record, but lost to the Redskins by 1 point in the regular season.  They started the season with 10 straight wins, and Fran Tarkenton was the league MVP. Critics claimed that the Vikings had a week schedule, and the win total was inflated.  I was 14 years old in 1975 and got to see several of the Vikings games on TV, as they were often playing nationally televised games, and I can say that the 1975 team was one of the best that the Vikings have ever produced.  I think this game, and the way it ended, took a lot of the starch out of the Vikings sails for the remainder of the decade.  Yes, they appeared in one more Super Bowl, but the Vikings had peaked as a franchise.  Tarkenton would play for four more seasons.  Grant was tiring and wanted to spend more time hunting and fishing.  The Vikings would have a decade or more of wandering in the wilderness before becoming relevant again.  I trace the beginning of the slide downwards to this game.

Jump forward 40 years...Drew Pearson admitted that he pushed off DB Nate Wright to catch the ball from Staubach. Yep, I've been bitter for decades...I always take great pleasure anytime the Vikings beat the Cowboys...even more so than beating the Packers.

Now...good Viking fans...as I have had us remember some of the lowest moments in Minnesota Viking history...by the power vested in me as an "Ancient"...along with the sword of Odin and the hammer of Thor...I hereby dismiss all the demons and devils that have so plagued this noble franchise through its history!  Let our warriors clad in purple be mighty and valiant!  May they return home after their battles with the plundered treasure of Lombardi hoisted high in their ruthless and battle-scarred hands!  May the noble Viking Warriors of the past...Kapp...Tarkenton...Grant...Page...Eller...Marshall...McDaniel...Randle...Yary...Foreman...and Krause...be vindicated by the new Viking warriors, and may their valor be restored to them!  Skol...Skol...Skol...may the victory be ours at last!!! 

Edited by Guest

On 7/8/2019 at 7:30 AM, Cearbhall said:

There is no doubt that Barry Sanders was a fun player to watch. It's a shame his entire career was wasted playing for the Lions.

Although, I suppose the same could be said about all the years Adrian Peterson wasted playing for the Vikings under Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier.

It wasn't truly wasted, Barry did get them to the NFC Championship Game and they got to the playoffs far more than they did before or since.  So, they had their chances, but like the Vikings, were up against the 49ers, Packers and Cowboys' buzzsaws.  

On 7/15/2019 at 9:02 AM, swede700 said:

It wasn't truly wasted, Barry did get them to the NFC Championship Game and they got to the playoffs far more than they did before or since.  So, they had their chances, but like the Vikings, were up against the 49ers, Packers and Cowboys' buzzsaws.  

And for those of you too young enough to have watched him play...here's a taste (he is, by far, the greatest running-back I have ever seen play...and that includes Walter Payton).

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And for those of you too young enough to have watched him play...here's a taste (he is, by far, the greatest running-back I have ever seen play...and that includes Walter Payton).

I was able to watch him in his last three or four seasons. Still very good, but I didn't fully understand his greatness until I was older.

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He was, indeed, incredible.  He always seemed to be on the top of his game versus the Vikings!  But, as I have said above, it was hard to root against him!!  He is, by far, my favorite non-Viking player.