Davante Adams Appreciation Thread

MacReady

In a world of Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham Jr, Mike Evans torpedoing defenders, A.J. Green and now Michael Thomas asking for 22 million a year, we've got a 26-year-old Davante Adams who never made a peep about his contract, signed below market value, three straight double digit touchdown seasons, nothing but a model teammate and person. 

Look at these celebrations:

3wx5.gif

6Fvu.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Always looking for a teammate, not for himself.  Sometimes he'll do the biceps flex and the Lambeau Leap, but in a world of stupid celebrations, one thing I've noticed about Davante is that he's always looking for his teammates to celebrate a team accomplishment.  He is selfless in every way, even in celebration. 

Then some of his talent:

aDAMS_td.0.gif

2014-11-3013_48_52.gif

davante.gif?w=1000&h=531

33a596ecd9bee2c1516d373fff35da8a.gif

da-TDdd.gif

Then my favorite Davante Adams play:

15340971450_6b6791e556_o.gif

Cobb gets it, but literally nobody else does.  Jordy stands there like a log, and everybody else is going "WTF just happened while Adams is 15 yards downfield.  Look how quickly he reacts when he sees Rodgers didn't spike the ball.  He's paying attention when 8 players on offense aren't, he catches the ball, gets to the outside so he's always within reach of out of bound and has the presence of mind to not only spin and gain an extra few yardage, getting extremely close to scoring, but manage to be within reach of getting out of bounds.  If he doesn't score or get out of bounds, the game is over. 

We've got a superstar receiver in the prime of his career who is a perfect teammate and an awesome player, and yet he doesn't get half the attention that selfish, greedy, diva drama queen receivers get. 

We've got an appreciation thread for Rodgers, but what would Rodgers be without Davante? 

http://www.nfl.com/player/davanteadams/2543495/gamelogs?season=2017

Those are his game logs from 2017 when he had Hundley throwing to him.  Look at the Baltimore game.  Our offense scored 0 points, and yet Adams managed 8 catches for 15.8 yards per reception.  With Brett Hundley throwing to him against the best defense in the league. 

• Like 11

Kudos.  It's also amazing how many armchair QBs wanted him gone or dissed him because he played his second year hurt.  Key there is that he stilled played.

One of the most amazing things to me are two hits he has taken where I thought he was through.  Direct head shots, not only wasn't he through, but I believe he came back the next game and produced.  Adams is amazing.  Drafted by a team that didn't need him right away and he earned trust from the QB who doesn't trust hardly anyone.  Consummate pro in the age of DIVA.

• Like 1

Odd take here. But does everyone standing there doing nothing but Cobb actually help? It puts anyone looking at them on defense like okay what the hell...

Edit, the way Jordy looks over and everything it seems like that's what he was supposed to do

Edited by Norm

Just now, Norm said:

Odd take here. But does everyone standing there doing nothing but Cobb actually help? It puts anyone looking at them on defense like okay what the hell...

Edit, the way Jordy looks over and everything it seems like that's what he was supposed to do

I thought about that, but then I remembered Rodgers saying something along the lines of, "Kudos to Adams for being aware."  It was not planned.  Rodgers said so after the game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah, I like this play but it's being misrepresented.  Not privy to the Packers coaching on this, but my guess would be you're correct and that was an intentional choice by Nelson.  The only two players who matter in this situation (beside the QB obviously) are the outside receivers; the line just needs to not let a free runner, since most of the defense should in theory be holding back expecting a spike.  The inside guys like Nelson aren't going to do much because if they catch the ball in bounds the game is over.  Only Cobb and Adams have the opportunity to get the ball, and even then Adams isn't aware it's coming either until it's happening.  Look how far downfield Cobb is when Adams starts moving; he even admitted in an interview that it was all just a reaction to Rodgers looking at him.

That being said, the main point is still justified if not actually amplified; Adams was caught off-guard but was still smart enough as a rookie in the waning seconds of a desperate comeback attempt in 100 degree weather on the road to fan out, make the catch, and then play off the sideline to avoid being tackled in-bounds.  I remember his post-game interview he said he thought about cutting it back and trying to score, but knew it was too risky and made the smart play instead.  That's a hell of a play for anyone, but especially a 21 year old in as high pressure a situation as you can really get in September.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I thought about that, but then I remembered Rodgers saying something along the lines of, "Kudos to Adams for being aware."  It was not planned.  Rodgers said so after the game. 

Oh okay. Just the way he stayed still after he knew what happened, it looked like he was supposed to.

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

Yeah, I like this play but it's being misrepresented.  Not privy to the Packers coaching on this, but my guess would be you're correct and that was an intentional choice by Nelson.  The only two players who matter in this situation (beside the QB obviously) are the outside receivers; the line just needs to not let a free runner, since most of the defense should in theory be holding back expecting a spike.  The inside guys like Nelson aren't going to do much because if they catch the ball in bounds the game is over.  Only Cobb and Adams have the opportunity to get the ball, and even then Adams isn't aware it's coming either until it's happening.  Look how far downfield Cobb is when Adams starts moving; he even admitted in an interview that it was all just a reaction to Rodgers looking at him.

That being said, the main point is still justified if not actually amplified; Adams was caught off-guard but was still smart enough as a rookie in the waning seconds of a desperate comeback attempt in 100 degree weather on the road to fan out, make the catch, and then play off the sideline to avoid being tackled in-bounds.  I remember his post-game interview he said he thought about cutting it back and trying to score, but knew it was too risky and made the smart play instead.  That's a hell of a play for anyone, but especially a 21 year old in as high pressure a situation as you can really get in September.

Well now I don't know what to believe lol but your last part nails the actual point down

May be dangerous to say this, but...

What if you put #84 on 'Vante?

To me, his game reminds me a lot of good ole Sterling Sharpe.  I think, or I want to think, that Sterling had a little more breakaway long speed, but both have great quickness and a power element to their game.

Sorry, but I couldn't help but see a little Sterling in those gifs....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

May be dangerous to say this, but...

What if you put #84 on 'Vante?

To me, his game reminds me a lot of good ole Sterling Sharpe.  I think, or I want to think, that Sterling had a little more breakaway long speed, but both have great quickness and a power element to their game.

Sorry, but I couldn't help but see a little Sterling in those gifs....

I was like 10 when he retired but I've went and watched highlights and I've seen games

I'll leave that here

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Norm said:

I was like 10 when he retired but I've went and watched highlights and I've seen games

I'll leave that here

He was the best WR in the league when he was in his prime and that was at the same time Jerry Rice was killing it. 

28 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

He was the best WR in the league when he was in his prime and that was at the same time Jerry Rice was killing it. 

That's what so many people tell me. I don't wanna talk out of turn too much here for those who lived it. But I went back and have watched everything I could find from players I was curious about but mostly QB then RB and somewhat wr. He was clearly one of the better ones to play. Too bad it wasn't longer. I'm a huge Sayers fan and think he belongs in the HOF. But nobody really considers Sharpe and I'm pretty sure their yards from scrimmage per season over careers is similar. Granted Gale sort of made his name early partially on return prowess too. And a crazy average.