Davante Adams Appreciation Thread

MacReady

44 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm guessing you weren't here but there was a massive troll who's banned now, but probably back on a new user name lol, who talked about Latimer constantly. Mostly about being faster and how Adams was too slow. It was funny at first and it's funny now but it got really ******* annoying for a while lol

Yeah, saw something similar with several posters obsessing over T.J.Watt, after the Packers passed on him in 2017. I tend to let stuff go after the draft, even if  I really liked the guy pre-draft (a good example of that was CB Fabian Moreau in the 2017 draft......loved him). Not everyone finds it so easy to let go.

ITS done - Is it over? Is it done?

• Like 1

Here's Mcginn's season review on Adams

Davante Adams (88.7%): Adams’ overwhelming importance to the offense if not the entire team was never more evident than in Game 16. With Adams sitting out (knee), the Packers gained 175 yards and were shut out at home by Detroit. He meant almost everything to this losing team. If it was first and 10 and the offense was backed up, Adams could flank wide and beat any cornerback in the league on a deep out. On third and 4, he could line up anywhere and slip his man. When a big play was needed, he’d usually win deep. Adams was almost impossible to jam because of his fast feet and technically sound hands. The most improved area of his game was simply catching the ball. In Adams’ first four seasons his drop rate was 7.6%. He dropped 33 passes from 2014-’17. This season, he dropped merely three of 168. The last receiver in Green Bay with at least 100 targets and a lower drop rate was Donald Driver in 2007 (two of 134). Adams’ next order of business should be improvement after the catch. His YAC average of 3.94 ranked last among the five leading wide receivers. Grade: A.

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Are you confusing this Davante Adams thread for a Sterling Sharpe thread ?  :D

I was not the one to bring up Sharpe in this thread.  Just was commenting on the posts made.  Thanks for policing the content of the posts for various threads;)

On 6/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, Norm said:

That's what so many people tell me. I don't wanna talk out of turn too much here for those who lived it. But I went back and have watched everything I could find from players I was curious about but mostly QB then RB and somewhat wr. He was clearly one of the better ones to play. Too bad it wasn't longer. I'm a huge Sayers fan and think he belongs in the HOF. But nobody really considers Sharpe and I'm pretty sure their yards from scrimmage per season over careers is similar. Granted Gale sort of made his name early partially on return prowess too. And a crazy average. 

I got into the NFL at the very tail end of Lofton's GB career, so I can't speak to him, but in 35+ yrs, spanning Sharpe, Driver, Nelson, Adams, Robert Brooks (underrated, btw), and Jennings, Sharpe is the finest WR I've ever seen play for GB. 

Adams, however, is right behind him with Jordy. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

From The Athletic

...Speaking of Adams, there are few players across the locker room who can match his maturation over the last three seasons. A former second-round pick, Adams shrugged off the notion that he might be a bust following a 2015 season that saw him catch 50 passes for 483 yards and one touchdown by morphing into one of the league’s best receivers. He’s caught 35 touchdowns the last three seasons and honed his incredible footwork into arguably the deadliest release in the league. Equally impressive has been Adams’ demeanor inside the locker room. Not only is he a willing resource for younger receivers on the roster — particularly the three draft picks in 2018 — but Adams also embraces his leadership role when it comes to the media. He is honest, insightful and generous with his time and sets a great example for his teammates on and off the field. The four-year, $58 million extension he signed near the end of the 2017 season is beginning to feel like a bargain for the Packers.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:54 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

I got into the NFL at the very tail end of Lofton's GB career, so I can't speak to him, but in 35+ yrs, spanning Sharpe, Driver, Nelson, Adams, Robert Brooks (underrated, btw), and Jennings, Sharpe is the finest WR I've ever seen play for GB. 

Adams, however, is right behind him with Jordy. 

I only vaguely remember Lofton...and Jefferson.  I do remember Sharpe very well, along with Brooks, Freeman, Walker, Nelson, Driver, Jennings, Cobb, Adams...etc.

Man, that is a fun list to type out...  and I didn't even put Jones on there.

For the ones that I remember watching?  Sharpe was easily the best.  I remember power,  great RAC and when he didn't have turf toe, he was a deep threat.  He was the whole package.

If I had to rank them...Sharpe, Jennings, Nelson, Adams, Freeman, Walker, Driver, Brooks, Cobb.  And maybe I have Walker too high, but pre-injury in GB, he was something special.  Only have Cobb down there at the bottom (of an outstanding list) because to me, he was one dimensional, slot who excelled at broken plays.  The other guys could move anywhere and win their matchup.

• 2 weeks later...

PackersWire with an article up on Davante Adams playing more from the slot in 2019

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/02/more-opportunities-from-slot-could-take-packers-wr-davante-adams-to-next-level/

Playing inside should only amplify his unique abilities.

“It actually enhances it, in my opinion,” receivers coach Alvis Whitted said during OTAs in May. “It gives him different means of getting open, and the flexibility of moving him around to different spots on the field, and that way defenses can’t key in on him. He has a tremendous skill set as far as getting open, the short area quickness he has, his football intelligence, how he can manipulate defenders. It’s really refreshing. He’s just a special player.”

usatsi_11923514.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

I'll be very curious to see what they do with Adams this year.  I feel like in an ideal world they'd love to play him in the slot a fair amount in this offense, but I'm not sure I have faith in the rest of the receiving corps to win outside with regularity.  The talent is there but I feel we're still a year away from feeling comfortable in winning outside without Davante.

6 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

I'll be very curious to see what they do with Adams this year.  I feel like in an ideal world they'd love to play him in the slot a fair amount in this offense, but I'm not sure I have faith in the rest of the receiving corps to win outside with regularity.  The talent is there but I feel we're still a year away from feeling comfortable in winning outside without Davante.

MVS is way more suited to the perimeter than the slot. EQ is probably 50/50 and Geronimo has always played more boundary than slot. Not sure I'm following that concern.

couple of comments on the Adams-in-the-slot move. If you scroll up to the highlights film above ( highly recommended) there's quite a few with Davante in the slot already, so it's not a completely new thing, its just the counter- move to all the attention Adams gets outside. They also wanna see if CB1 follows him or if they pass Davante off to a lesser CB/LB.

The other comment is that both of MLFs mentors use the condensed formations where even the boundary WRs are lined up closer to the middle of the field. That gives them a 2- way go on choice routes. 

So it won't matter as much where Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ line up, they will all be given a better chance to beat their guy. Opposing CBs can't use the sideline as a friendly defender like they can when the WR's are lined up tight to the sidelines
That won't happen all the time, but its a another wrinkle in that offensive system and I suspect we see MLF deploy it.
MLF will move all of them all over the place, he's said as much on several occasions

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

couple of comments on the Adams-in-the-slot move. If you scroll up to the highlights film above ( highly recommended) there's quite a few with Davante in the slot already, so it's not a completely new thing, its just the counter- move to all the attention Adams gets outside. They also wanna see if CB1 follows him or if they pass Davante off to a lesser CB/LB.

The other comment is that both of MLFs mentors use the condensed formations where even the boundary WRs are lined up closer to the middle of the field. That gives them a 2- way go on choice routes. 

So it won't matter as much where Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ line up, they will all be given a better chance to beat their guy. Opposing CBs can't use the sideline as a friendly defender like they can when the WR's are lined up tight to the sidelines
That won't happen all the time, but its a another wrinkle in that offensive system and I suspect we see MLF deploy it.
MLF will move all of them all over the place, he's said as much on several occasions

We're going to see a ton of Graham split to the right with the receivers bunched close to the formation on the left this year. Helps that Davante might be the smallest of our starting WRs this year.