MrBobGray's Terrible Film Review - Josh Jones

MrBobGray

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is such an irrelevant point and one that is used way too much.

Also, what the hell are you going to get for him? Positions athletes that haven't performed are all over the market. Are you really optimistic that the 6th round conditional pick you're going to get for him will be an upgrade?

This is why I think we should've traded him last year. We can't get much for him now, but the way he's played...idk man...

Jones does not and never has had any trade value close to his value to the team. Very few players do, and certainly not underperformers. You keep Jones until his contract ends and pray he figures it out. Even if he doesn't, that player has a spot on the team, it's just a limited one. The second is gone, it's a sunk cost and should be forgotten. Some high picks don't pan out, some later ones do. If it helps just pretend we took A. Jones in the second and J. Jones in the fifth. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is such an irrelevant point and one that is used way too much.

Also, what the hell are you going to get for him? Positions athletes that haven't performed are all over the market. Are you really optimistic that the 6th round conditional pick you're going to get for him will be an upgrade?

How can it not be relevant that he's a second round pick? His pay is based on where he was picked, and he's not contributing what you would expect from a second round pick. Also, Jones specifically mentioned being a second round pick as the reason he is unhappy about not getting more playing time. If he was a street free agent or even a late round pick, it's likely that both he and the team would be happy with his role. 

I agree that he has little or no trade value. The best we could hope for would be a Randall/Kizer type trade, involving two players who do not fit in on their teams, but on a lower level. 

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Jones does not and never has had any trade value close to his value to the team.

indeed.
I was looking at some depth charts around the league to see who needs a SS. Cleveland has been a handy trading partner, but they've already got Damarius Randall, Morgan Burnett and Jermaine Whitehead - all former Packers safeties. Maybe they'd like to add Jones and own the complete set ?

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CLE

36 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

How can it not be relevant that he's a second round pick? His pay is based on where he was picked, and he's not contributing what you would expect from a second round pick. Also, Jones specifically mentioned being a second round pick as the reason he is unhappy about not getting more playing time. If he was a street free agent or even a late round pick, it's likely that both he and the team would be happy with his role. 

I agree that he has little or no trade value. The best we could hope for would be a Randall/Kizer type trade, involving two players who do not fit in on their teams, but on a lower level. 

Cutting or trading him saves $545,125. That doesn't take into account you're then going to pay someone to fill his roster spot, so even an UDFA rookie will feature no cap savings. 

Is that worth getting rid of him? Unless he's an absolute cancer in the locker room, the answer is hell no. You're downgrading your defense because you're salty that your second round pick isn't a star. It's emotional reactionism at its worst.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cutting or trading him saves $545,125. That doesn't take into account you're then going to pay someone to fill his roster spot, so even an UDFA rookie will feature no cap savings. 

Is that worth getting rid of him? Unless he's an absolute cancer in the locker room, the answer is hell no. You're downgrading your defense because you're salty that your second round pick isn't a star. It's emotional reactionism at its worst.

My point was not that he should be cut, which is why I wrote THIS in my original post: "I would like to see him kept around as an S/LB hybrid, but if he doesn't want to do it, I guess he just needs a fresh start somewhere else. As much as I hate to see it, sometimes it is possible for a player to pout his way out of a contract."

I thought you were saying that draft position has nothing to do with how satisfied a team (and its fans) should be with a player. Is that not what you meant? 

Where Jones was drafted is irrelevant when deciding whether he belongs on the roster.

I'll admit I'm curious what the "we should have traded Jones last year" crowd imagines GB would have received in return.

Edited by Mazrimiv

not to mention that if you make it a habit of only giving guys their rookie year to prove themselves to you, you'll end up jettisoning plenty of good players. and good players on cheap contracts at that.

and if it gets to the point that you just want to trade a player to get him off the team because you're disappointed in him, why would another team want to trade for him? they can see the same things you see. 

as far as disappointment in draft production vs. pick slot, players drafted in Jones' slot only have about 50% chance of even becoming long-term starters, much less good starters. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

not to mention that if you make it a habit of only giving guys their rookie year to prove themselves to you, you'll end up jettisoning plenty of good players. and good players on cheap contracts at that. 

I'm not saying get rid of Jones, but it's not without precedent...

Kyrhi Thornton - 3rd round pick, cut after 1 season
Jerel Worthy - 2nd round pick, traded after 2 seasons
Alex Green - 3rd round pick, cut after 2 seasons
Brian Brohm - 2nd round pick, cut after 1 season

7 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I'm not saying get rid of Jones, but it's not without precedent...

Kyrhi Thornton - 3rd round pick, cut after 1 season
Jerel Worthy - 2nd round pick, traded after 2 seasons
Alex Green - 3rd round pick, cut after 2 seasons
Brian Brohm - 2nd round pick, cut after 1 season

So the best return GB received from all of the above is the conditional late rd pick from NE in the Worthy deal.  Unless he's a problem in the locker room, I am thinking GB is better off giving Jones one more year.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

..Unless he's a problem in the locker room, I am thinking GB is better off giving Jones one more year.

That's exactly my view. 

If Jones is fine in practice, classroom, and locker room, let him compete.  He's got some roles already, he may get better, and it's not clear that the UDFA bubble guy you'd replace him with will perform as well.  

But if he's a constant attitude drag, it's not clear that his value-over-replacement will be large enough to justify much negative attitude.  

On 6/29/2019 at 9:14 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would you think you were going to get anything for him last year? 

I'm of the opinion that if you were to trade him....and that is a big if, as I'd lean towards keeping him on the roster, but if there were to be a trade, it would be for someone else who is buried on a depth chart and disgruntled.  Sometimes a scenery change is a good thing.  And I'd prefer that over a late round pick that may be conditional.