Dota Underlords

showtime

Dota Underlords is a free to play PC and mobile game developed by Valve.  It's in the genre of 'auto chess', which is a relatively new genre. 

Background:  This is going to be rough, but here it goes.  In the Dota 2 client, users are able to create custom games.  Some users created a game called 'auto chess' and it became wildly popular.  Drodo Studios is eventually what this group would become and I believe they got bought out by EPIC Games - who they will be creating an auto chess game for.  Because of this extreme success, Riot (the creators of League of Legends) have also announced their version of an auto chess game within the world of LoL.  Due to all of this, Valve put out a game extremely quickly.  I'm talking like maybe after working on it for a few months, at most.  As you guessed, the game revolves around the Dota 2 universe.

How the game works:  This is a game on a chess board.  At the start of every round, you can use your gold to buy characters.  Each character is apart of a core group (assassin, warrior, hunter, druid, etc) and each character also has secondary bonuses.  The more characters you put together from the same groups and similar bonuses allows you to have certain benefits.  You place your characters on the chess board as you see fit and when the round starts - they fight.  During the fight, you are not able to do anything.  Characters attack, use abilities and items on their own.

There are 8 players per game.  Everyone starts at 100 health.  You lose health every time you lose a round.  The amount of health you lose is based off how many characters are left from the enemy team (I believe, still not sure how this works exactly).  You do this until a winner is crowned.

I'm personally loving the game a lot.  It's a lot of fun and the game is getting updated with balance changes, new game modes, ranks, levels, etc nearly everyday.  Does anyone here play?

header.jpg

Dota-Underlords-Mobile-Gameplay.jpg

Dota-Underlords-gameplay-750x422.jpg

25 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Idk I think Autochess and Leagues version are still better.

I haven't played it yet.  I've never really liked League of Legends that much.  Dota is better.  As far as the auto chess games are concerned, I'll def try it out.

4 hours ago, showtime said:

What don't you like about Underlords?

Less fun synergies than Autochess and TFT and theres less personality as well. It feels claustrophobic and its easier to follow others players in the other games as well.

I do love the item system and the way there are class/race based items.

16 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Less fun synergies than Autochess and TFT and theres less personality as well. It feels claustrophobic and its easier to follow others players in the other games as well.

I do love the item system and the way there are class/race based items.

I like TFT as well, but the UI is really bad.  I've also seen many TFT players complain about it.  I know Riot and Valve are hard at work patching the games like every day or every other day.  I'm enjoying both.  For Underlords, they just added a bunch of voice lines to the game for certain characters.  I think we'll see some more updates in that regard to the UI and game play as well this week.

This week's update will arrive on Thursday. We're currently wrapping up a few experimental features we'd like to get your feedback on, and they require a bit more testing before we put them in front of you.

Features to look forward to on this Thursday's update:

• Warlock Alliance rework.
  • Warlock Units tweaks.
  • Shaman Alliance rework.
  • Shaman Units tweaks.
  • 3 New Items.
  • Tweaks to the Alliance Items and how they work.
  • Tweaks to Win and Lose Streaks.
  • Large Scoreboard.
  • And some experimental features.

The week after you'll see the release of progression and what we call the Proto-Battle Pass. This beta Battle Pass will let us iterate on the system with you and get your feedback on what works and what doesn't plus what kind of content you'd like the Season 1 Battle Pass to include.

See you all later this week.