Does our defence look as good to anybody else as it does to me?

Hail Mary

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

What is Pettine supposed to say? He's obviously going to say good things about a guy fighting for a roster spot. 

Blunt Force Trauma isn't prone to fluffy prose.
He's just telling us how Jamerson would be used and that's useful as we roll towards TC and depth chart battles

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pettine only wanted to play one of the non power guys (Clay/Fackrell) at a time. It will be interesting to see who gets the drop responsibilities between Fackrell and Preston. 

That makes sense, although given that our power options were Reggie Gilbert and a very banged up Nick Perry we were really putting Pettine in a place.  No wonder the team went so hard after a true group of power rushers.  I suppose it'll be match-up dependent to a degree in terms of who drops, but I have to admit I'm curious how they want to use those two guys as well.

21 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

One option would be to have Fackrell playing the non Martinez inside LB in the pressure package rather than Burks/Jones. You could also play a 5 man front line with Zadarius or Gary over the Center. 

You might give some thought to even pulling Martinez for Fackrell in the dime.

I suspect we'll probably see all of this, at least in Training Camp.  It's just unusual to have your 10 sack guy with the best outside speed rush and nowhere you really want to put him regularly. I have to admit I didn't even consider pulling Martinez for him, but at first blush that's not a bad idea.  As much as I like Martinez at certain things, if you're blitzing I'd rather send Fackrell and in coverage it's probably a wash.  

Regardless of how it shakes out, it should be fun to watch.  Lot of pieces that fit in a number of roles.  Putting Z over the C in the pressure package just seems cruel though, especially if you have the other four take the outside shoulder and put the C on an island.  Love it.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

That makes sense, although given that our power options were Reggie Gilbert and a very banged up Nick Perry we were really putting Pettine in a place.  No wonder the team went so hard after a true group of power rushers.  I suppose it'll be match-up dependent to a degree in terms of who drops, but I have to admit I'm curious how they want to use those two guys as well.

I suspect we'll probably see all of this, at least in Training Camp.  It's just unusual to have your 10 sack guy with the best outside speed rush and nowhere you really want to put him regularly. I have to admit I didn't even consider pulling Martinez for him, but at first blush that's not a bad idea.  As much as I like Martinez at certain things, if you're blitzing I'd rather send Fackrell and in coverage it's probably a wash.  

Regardless of how it shakes out, it should be fun to watch.  Lot of pieces that fit in a number of roles.  Putting Z over the C in the pressure package just seems cruel though, especially if you have the other four take the outside shoulder and put the C on an island.  Love it.

9-3-0-3-9 is the pressure package alignment of choice for a reason.

Either that are 9-3-10-10-3-9

Edited by AlexGreen#20

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

9-3-0-3-9 is the pressure package alignment of choice for a reason.

Either that are 9-3-10-10-3-9

Yeah the 9-3-10-10-3-9 is everywhere now.  Feels like half the pressure snaps I see are of it.  They ran it a lot with Jones/Martinez last year, but it could be interesting to run something like Preston/Gary/Fackrell/Martinez/Daniels/Z (or swap Daniels/Z for Z/OLB#4 if someone really takes a jump).  Lot of beef that can move there, and having three guys who can drop and be expected to actually cover something really opens up some possibilities.

Lots of stats all over the place, but I was wandering around and looking at sack percentage

As of December 10th, 2018 the mighty Green Bay Packers were # 2 in sack percentage for the whole league, just a tick behind the Steelers

( you can set any date you like at the link below)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/sack-pct?date=2018-12-10

Then the injuries started piling up and the Packers tailed off at the end of the year, but still finished at # 6.
Hat tip to Pettine for manufacturing pressure last year, looking forward to what he can do this year with more talent and depth available

• Like 2

a few size/power pass rush options

Nickel on steroids

————————Fackrell———————

Gary———————————————Preston 

————Zadarius—Clark—Daniels————

3-4 on steroids

————Martinez—————Fackrell———

Gary————————————————Preston

————Zadarius—Clark—Daniels———

Dime on steroids

————————Fackrell————————

Gary————————————————Zadarius

——————Clark————Daniels—————

• Like 2

Small nickel

—————————Martinez—————————

Fackrell——————————————Preston

———Gary———Clark———Zadarius———

Small 3-4

————Martinez—————Burks————

Fackrell——————————————Preston

———Gary———Clark———Zadarius———

• Like 1

Best 11

—————Savage————————————

——————————————Amos————

————Martinez—————Tramon————

Alexander————————————————King

———Gary———————————Preston———

—————Zadarius—Clark—Daniels—————

I like this lineup best. Z and Gary can anchor a side. So can Daniels and Preston.  You can rush 3,  4 or 5 guys effectively. Tramon, Martinez and Amos bring experience and know-how inside. There’s a lot of speed on the boundaries. I feel like you have a lot of unpredictability with this group, a lot of good pass rushers and good reliable coverage guys too. Just a good balanced group. I like Zadarius at DE because he brings more pass rush than Lowry. Plus, Gary at edge makes up for some of the size deficiency. 

Here is Football Outsiders with an in- depth article on PRESSURE. They break it down by number of rushers and success rate

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/pressure-number-pass-rushers-2018

5 Man rushes

The Packers are the anomaly among these teams. They pressured opposing offenses on more than half of their blitzes, which was good for top five of all teams. But that pressure didn't result in the success one would expect as they finished bottom-five in DVOA on blitzes. The primary culprit for that dissonance was in the secondary, where cornerbacks Davon House, Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, and in-season addition Bashaud Breeland missed 30 combined games with various injuries. With second and third options in coverage, opponents converted a lot of big plays on the pressure plays that didn't result in sacks. Improved injury luck should inspire a 2019 turnaround, which regression already suggests is likely because of the team's excellent pressure rate.

On 7/15/2019 at 7:43 PM, Shanedorf said:

Here is Football Outsiders with an in- depth article on PRESSURE. They break it down by number of rushers and success rate

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/pressure-number-pass-rushers-2018

5 Man rushes

The Packers are the anomaly among these teams. They pressured opposing offenses on more than half of their blitzes, which was good for top five of all teams. But that pressure didn't result in the success one would expect as they finished bottom-five in DVOA on blitzes. The primary culprit for that dissonance was in the secondary, where cornerbacks Davon House, Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, and in-season addition Bashaud Breeland missed 30 combined games with various injuries. With second and third options in coverage, opponents converted a lot of big plays on the pressure plays that didn't result in sacks. Improved injury luck should inspire a 2019 turnaround, which regression already suggests is likely because of the team's excellent pressure rate.

Same story with the Browns two years ago -- lots of plays where the pass-rush just missed because the secondary was so porous, so they drafted Denzel Ward to shore it up. Fans talk about the pass-rush like it can help make the secondary look good when they play well, but it's actually the other way around these days.

9 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

Same story with the Browns two years ago -- lots of plays where the pass-rush just missed because the secondary was so porous, so they drafted Denzel Ward to shore it up. Fans talk about the pass-rush like it can help make the secondary look good when they play well, but it's actually the other way around these days.

It's a combination of both. You have to have both and it appears as though we do now have both. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:32 PM, boratt said:

Williams declining speed will be nullified inside and his savvy highlighted

Alexander and Kings abilities to play man or zone will take pressure off of the rookie Savage

Amos’ experience will take pressure off the rookie Savage

Williams experience inside will take pressure off the rookie, Savage. 

Savage, surrounded by experience, will have his speed and athleticism highlighted and his inexperience covered. 

Its the right fit of talents in the right spots, at the right times in their careers. That’s what I’m saying. 

It’s going the way I expected. Amos is looking steady inside. Williams is using his experience to communicate across the defense inside. The two athletes are locking down the outside. 

Just gotta see savage come in and catch on quick and my vision will be coming true. 

Martinez is also very steady inside. I like the way our pass defense is shaping up. 

On 7/13/2019 at 9:14 PM, boratt said:

Best 11

—————Savage————————————

——————————————Amos————

————Martinez—————Tramon————

Alexander————————————————King

———Gary———————————Preston———

—————Zadarius—Clark—Daniels—————

I like this lineup best. Z and Gary can anchor a side. So can Daniels and Preston.  You can rush 3,  4 or 5 guys effectively. Tramon, Martinez and Amos bring experience and know-how inside. There’s a lot of speed on the boundaries. I feel like you have a lot of unpredictability with this group, a lot of good pass rushers and good reliable coverage guys too. Just a good balanced group. I like Zadarius at DE because he brings more pass rush than Lowry. Plus, Gary at edge makes up for some of the size deficiency. 

The stunts you can run with Z and Gary are delicious.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 5:36 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Mike Daniels would be compared to Cullen Jenkins. At this point in his career that's probably a wash and Jenkins is maybe the most overrated Packer ever.

Raji that year was better than Clark is. He was a legitimate pressure guy and an every down player.

Pickett is way better in his game than Lowry is at his, but they're different games so it's hard to compare. You would still probably lean Pickett.

Clay is better than every rusher on this roster currently.

Whoever ends up being our #2 rusher will be better than Zombo was.

Bishop is better than Burks/Jones

Martinez probably gets the edge over Hawk.

Tramon was better than Alexander will likely be this year.

Shields was better than King will likely be this year.

Woodson was miles better than whoever lines up in the slot for us this year.

Collins was miles better than whoever ends up at FS.

Amos is better than Pepprah.

+++

So of the 12 spots pulling regular snaps, the 2019 defense has a talent edge at 3 of them.

This one isn’t really holding up to the test of time. I’m sure it sounded good to yourself when it came out though? Probably thought you had the whole thing locked down. A legend in your own mind. 

• Like 1