Does our defence look as good to anybody else as it does to me?

Hail Mary

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

75 years from now when Im about to die, I'm going to say goodbye to my children and then log on to this site one more time to witness and participate in an AJ Hawk debate that will still be happening for reasons that remain entirely unclear.

Players will be making billions of dollars at that point and Hawk will somehow still be the highest paid ILB in NFL history

• Like 1

From Football Outsiders

Article about personnel groupings on defense with rankings in base, nickel, dime.
GB spent 18 % of snaps in base, 40 % in nickle and 41 % in dime; that dime time ranks # 2 in the league

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-defensive-personnel-analysis

"One final note to keep in mind. When we looked at offensive personnel, we saw the league homogenizing, with most teams not only using 11 personnel most frequently, but being most effective when using it. Defensive personnel groupings are much different. The top quartile of defenses last year came from all of these different groupings:

• the Bears were an all-nickel team;
  • the Bills, Jaguars and Vikings were no-dime teams;
  • the Ravens were dime-nickel-basers;
  • the Broncos used base more than any other team;
  • the Texans were one of the most balanced defenses in the league in terms of personnel;
  • and the Chargers ran all-dime, all the time.

Defensive philosophy, at least in terms of what players you're running out onto the field, isn't as foundational to defensive success.
Any system can work, as long as you have the players to run it."

• Like 2

Green Bay's defense will be strong in the middle. The ends should have multiple opportunities to rush with one-on-one with the oline. With the additions of the Smiths and Gary, there will be more pressures leading to sacks, fumbles and interceptions. How much and often is what is left to debate. 

I just happen to think it will be this year's team legacy. The year the defense leads the Packers into the playoffs!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hands said:

Green Bay's defense will be strong in the middle. The ends should have multiple opportunities to rush with one-on-one with the oline. With the additions of the Smiths and Gary, there will be more pressures leading to sacks, fumbles and interceptions. How much and often is what is left to debate. 

I just happen to think it will be this year's team legacy. The year the defense leads the Packers into the playoffs!

Health matters. But I agree. Every one of the young players who have flashed have had good offseasons. When I look through pictures at minicamp, every guy seems to have added muscle and cut fat and look to be developing the way you hope. During conversations with media, all of them talk about their physical improvements and mental improvements as well and talk about specific gains. I also believe that this is a special year of both quality and depth from the edge and DL. 

• Like 1

Secondary kind of reminds me of 2010. Youth, speed and athleticism on the outside and deep middle, with experience and savvy roaming the inside at SS and slot corner. 

Pettine can keep the outside and deep middle duties simple for the young athletes and then open up the playbook inside with the experience of Tramon, Amos and Martinez. 

1 minute ago, boratt said:

Secondary kind of reminds me of 2010. Youth, speed and athleticism on the outside and deep middle, with experience and savvy roaming the inside at SS and slot corner. 

Pettine can keep the outside and deep middle duties simple for the young athletes and then open up the playbook inside with the experience of Tramon, Amos and Martinez. 

What does a secondary draft of the top 5 guys look like at this point:

Woodson

Collins

2010 Tramon

Jaire Alexander

2010 Shields

Amos

King

Savage

2019 Tramon

Pepprah

This secondary isn't even close. And I feel like I'm being a bit hard on the 2010 guys in those rankings. 

• Like 1

Alexander and king similar athletes to tramon and shields outside

savage/Amos have complimentary safety skill sets like Collins/peprah

willams experienced and savvy similar to Woodson in slot

1 minute ago, boratt said:

Alexander and king similar athletes to tramon and shields outside

savage/Amos have complimentary safety skill sets like Collins/peprah

willams experienced and savvy similar to Woodson in slot

You're point is that we have the homeless man's version of the 2010 team? That's great?

You don’t know how good the 2019 players are. 

Alexander/king could play up to the level of tramon/rookie shields

Collins > rookie Savage

Amos > Peprah

tramon could be a perfect fit inside with his experience and savvy, although obviously Woodson was a special talent so 2010 gets an edge. 

It might not be as homeless as you think. 

Savage is a huge Wild card but with experience in the right spots and just enough experience at corner, Savage is in a good spot to pick it up really quickly and he given the more simplified duties each play with there being more experience all around him. Similar to the way they just let shields play man every play in that rookie 2010 season.  

It’s shaping up to be a situation where each persons skillsets are being highlighted and weaknesses minimized, similar to 2010 when Woodson’s declining speed was neutralized inside but his savvy highlighted, and shields rookie wr turned corner weakness was nullified by giving him man coverages and then making up for the transparency in his game by having Collins in the middle and a lot of confusion inside. Peprahs slow slug game was covered by Collins.

That was just a perfect mix back then, and I think this might be again. 

Edited by boratt

Williams declining speed will be nullified inside and his savvy highlighted

Alexander and Kings abilities to play man or zone will take pressure off of the rookie Savage

Amos’ experience will take pressure off the rookie Savage

Williams experience inside will take pressure off the rookie, Savage. 

Savage, surrounded by experience, will have his speed and athleticism highlighted and his inexperience covered. 

Its the right fit of talents in the right spots, at the right times in their careers. That’s what I’m saying. 

51 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:
58 minutes ago, boratt said:

What does a secondary draft of the top 5 guys look like at this point:

Woodson

Collins

2010 Tramon

Jaire Alexander

2010 Shields

Amos

King

Savage

2019 Tramon

Pepprah

This secondary isn't even close. And I feel like I'm being a bit hard on the 2010 guys in those rankings. 

2010 has a DPOY player in Woodson, likely first ballot HoF player that was in his prime 

Collins was a emerging star, Pro-Bowl/All Pro level player.  

Williams was a upper tier CB

Shields was a bit below the talent of Alexander/king, but the raw athleticism was probably equal.

2010 was hands down above this 2019 group.  

• Like 1

Mike Daniels > Pickett

Kenny Clark > Raji

Amos > Peprah

Preston > Zombo

Lowry/Gary/Fackrell > Bishop (they played 2-4 defense compared to our 3-3)

Martinez = Hawk

Alexander = Tramon

2010 rookie shields > king

Matthews > Zadarius

Collins > Savage

Woodson > Tramon

I think this defense has a chance to be similar to that one, honestly. Both in talent and also in fit. It’s a good fit of guys, who’s talents will be highlighted and weaknesses minimized, similar to in 2010.

2019 should have a better pass rush, 2010 a better secondary. But I do see this defense as being near the top of the league. 

And I see the 2019 secondary as being a really good mix of talents and skills that will compliment each other in a way that the sum together is greater than the individual parts.

Edited by boratt

Woodson was 34 years old. He was not in his physical prime, although his skillset was being highlighted in such a way on that team that he still played that way.

If we’re calling 34 Woodson in his prime, we need to call 30 year old Daniels in his prime too. A multi pro bowler in his prime. 

Btw, I do think Daniels is in for a monster year. Clark as well. Both players are going to benefit from the growth of Lancaster, Lowry and Adams. Both should see more rest and be more impactful in 2019 than 2018. 

7 hours ago, boratt said:

Mike Daniels > Pickett

Kenny Clark > Raji

Amos > Peprah

Preston > Zombo

Lowry/Gary/Fackrell > Bishop (they played 2-4 defense compared to our 3-3)

Martinez = Hawk

Alexander = Tramon

2010 rookie shields > king

Matthews > Zadarius

Collins > Savage

Woodson > Tramon

I think this defense has a chance to be similar to that one, honestly. Both in talent and also in fit. It’s a good fit of guys, who’s talents will be highlighted and weaknesses minimized, similar to in 2010.

2019 should have a better pass rush, 2010 a better secondary. But I do see this defense as being near the top of the league. 

And I see the 2019 secondary as being a really good mix of talents and skills that will compliment each other in a way that the sum together is greater than the individual parts.

Mike Daniels would be compared to Cullen Jenkins. At this point in his career that's probably a wash and Jenkins is maybe the most overrated Packer ever.

Raji that year was better than Clark is. He was a legitimate pressure guy and an every down player.

Pickett is way better in his game than Lowry is at his, but they're different games so it's hard to compare. You would still probably lean Pickett.

Clay is better than every rusher on this roster currently.

Whoever ends up being our #2 rusher will be better than Zombo was.

Bishop is better than Burks/Jones

Martinez probably gets the edge over Hawk.

Tramon was better than Alexander will likely be this year.

Shields was better than King will likely be this year.

Woodson was miles better than whoever lines up in the slot for us this year.

Collins was miles better than whoever ends up at FS.

Amos is better than Pepprah.

+++

So of the 12 spots pulling regular snaps, the 2019 defense has a talent edge at 3 of them.

• Like 1